Energy Speaker Systems MicroStar 12.1 Subwoofers

4.7/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $1600.00

Submitted by Odam a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
I 've had this BEAST about 8 years and I love it. It has matching style ( top corner ) to my black Mission 752 Freedom speaker. I did some audition at that time between B&W and Sun Fire and decided to choose Microstar 12.1. It has very tight powerful deep bass, you can feel each punch this BEAST kick. I was able to pick the last one at A&B sound in Winnipeg 2002.
The Energy Microstar had two visions. Microstar 10.1 and Microstar 12.1.
The Microstar 10.1 has power output 1000watts 10 inch Kevlar woofer and the Microstar 12.1 has power output 1500watts 12 inch Kevlar woofer. Both are MOSFET Pulse Width Modulation . I did leave my review 8 year ago but it seem lost some where. I do have full manual of this power sub. Anyone interested, please let me know.

Submitted by mike rose a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
i am soo impressed with the accuracy and decibel level available from such a small enclosure. being an electronics tech. for the last 32.5 years, i have repaired many brands of sub's, but this one really impressed me!! in a small room it's going to be excessive, needs at least medium to large room to be fully appreciated, my personal rating is 8.5 out of 10. inclusive of flexibility in placement and, design, [i examined all particulars, including amp design and driver construction] this amplifier probably generates 1000 watts with 2000 watt peaks easily. my suggestion is go listen for yourself, you will be pleasantly surprised!!! maybe you haven't heard but you absolutely get what you pay for here, dependable electronics, good aural accuracy, small footprint.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by JBKBS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
After reading some reviews I thought that I would give my 2 cents. I sub rocks! I replaced a $800 Velodyne and there is no comparison. Great tight, deep bass. High power to push that sealed sub and that is why some don't think it has the power it does. Seems like they didn't study the sub before they bought it! A sealed design is much smoother and less punchy but this little box ROCKS! It is soooooo smooth and deep. I had a 15" Klipsch with a 2400 watt amp and I liked the AEnergy more! It was smoother and deeper and not at all punchy. Great for movies and music. Very highly recommended. My wife also noticed the difference as I like to turn it up!

Purchased At:   Home Video Library

Submitted by Shawn Solar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I originally wasn't going to buy this sub. I was going to listen to the paradigm servo 15 but the dealer gave me a great deal on it for 1300 canadian plus tax. I was reluctant because I could not listen to it first but was told I could bring it back if I wasn't happy.

When I got it home, unpacked it and set it up I was impressed. It is was very musical. It kept up with everything I threw at it. Rap, techno, classic rock came through like it was supposed to. bass was articulate and to the point with no overhang or boominess. The sub never tried to overpower the rest of the music even with me having it set to 100hz lowpass. It blended seamlessly with my mains (paradigm reference 40's) and never localized the bass.

On HT it was good being able shake the paintings and pictures and blinds and just about everything else. It does have a few minor faults though. For one, I find it can't plunge the lowest depths(rolls off quickly after 27-25hz). I took my spl metre and did a little experiment. I set my sub to half volume and sent some test tones through it. it's pretty flat at 100,90,80,70hz,peaks at 62,60hz and remains flat at 40,35 and 30hz(after 60hz its hard to measure because everything shakes so much) though at 25hz it was down about 10db and at 20hz I had to increase the volume on the reciever from -20 to -10 to get a reading. though this little experiment was far from accurate it still showed the limits of the sub. The servo control on this sub seems to limit the sub in my opinion. when you start to push this little box the amp starts to condition the signal to prevent over excursion. neat little trick but I find it to hold back the sub's high output. This sub is also a little picky for placement it took me about an hour moving it about to find the best dispersion. Though at 14x14x15.5 it can go just about anywhere.

Purchased At:   Base Electronics

Submitted by Rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
This sub does not produce 1500 watts of power. Perhaps it peaks to 1500 watts,but the most I figure it goes is around 500 rms, if that. I really wanted to like this sub but my Psb performed just as well but cost me 600 dollars less. When I played tracks that contained heavy bass the sub began to make popping noises. Perhaps I'm not a "true audiophile" what ever that means, but to my ears this sub is not worth the money. It's a nice sub but I think you can do better for the money. I'm still looking for the perfect sub. I'm going to audition the 15" definitive, and the sunfire subs. I let you know how that goes.

Purchased At:   A&B SOUND