Cerwin Vega HT-S15 Subwoofers

4.53/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Powered 15" Subwoofer - 200 Watts

Submitted by Ben K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
This sub is quite the addition to my system which consists of 2 AR-4x's a Technics SA-AX540 receiver, and a Technics SL-PD5 CD player. I was looking for a subwoofer with tremendous power and one that was a good bang for the buck. I was originally looking at Acoustic research ARS-500 sub but the price was a little out of my league and AR is nowhere to be found in Ottawa. So I looked at other promising brands such as JBL, Boston Acoustics, Velodyne, Bob Carver, and Cerwin. In terms of bang for buck the HT-S15A is definitely the best. Granted the subwoofer doesn't like frequencies above 90hz when the volume is turned to full but what can you expect from a sub in this price range. It's range at regular listening levels is exemplary. It has really deep bass, I'd be willing to bet lower than the 42hz indicated on the crossover nob. The only complaint I have is at high amplification the subs back panel rattles. It's probably just a loose screw but none the less it can get quite annoying. In the next 6 months or so i hope to purchase a 200 watt center channel, and two 400 watt towers and possibly upgrade my receiver to the Denon AVR-5803 receiver to better handle the massive amounts of power required by the other four units.

Purchased At:   Leon's

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got this sub online deliverd to my door for 350 bucks! Its a pretty good sub, really loud. But starts to lose some low end punch at loud and I mean LOUD volumes. I would recommend this sub to anyone that wants to ad some gut to their home theater.

Submitted by Dan Messmore a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I originally thought just a low priced sub would do it for me so I bought a tympani sub discounted. In less than 1 month the amp then the sub itself blew. The bass was ok but the long term quality was questionable. Sold it. Went searching for a good name brand sub, reasonably priced. I came upon this site and read the overall very good reviews. I ordered one. I use the sub 99% of the time for movies. It blows the other sub away at only a third of the volume! I am very impressed with that. The problem lies in a "chirp-squeak" noise coming from the ports at certain frequencies. Its getting to the point where it is annoying me. If you have any tips on how to solve this or at least minimize this please email me dmessmore@hotmail.com I would appreciate it.
Overall, build quality and reliability, if it didnt have the "noise" then it is definately a five star product.

Purchased At:   J & R .com