Cerwin Vega HT-S12 Subwoofers

4.15/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $650.00

Powered Subwoofer - 12" Driver - 150 Watt Amplifier

Submitted by G a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this sub a few years ago for my parent's 2 channel system to reinforce the low end because it had small speakers. At that it does a good job, provided you use the volume on the sub sparingly or else the sound becomes boomy. Its good for small to medium sized rooms. It does not extend very low for a sub but does help add some umph to any average system.

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by Andre Ramkissoon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Cerwin Vega HT-S12 about a year ago to enhance my home theather. It took me a couple of months to tune the sub to work to my satisfaction in my home theater area. One thing I can tell you about this sub is that it can really shake up your house. I was watching Godzilla on DVD and the scene where army was chasing Godzilla in the city really set off my sub. The wine glasses in my kitchen cabinets shook like an earthquake was happening!

One problem I have noticed with the sub is that if the sub volume is too high, it tends to distort a bit on high bassy scenes such as explosions in action movies. Sometimes I fine I have to turn down the sub below 50% to stop it from drowning out by front speakers.

Overall I am really happy with my sub. If you are looking for a sub that will make your room shake, this sub is for you!

Purchased At:   2001 Audio Video

Submitted by Eric Kissel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
This sub is LOUD. My wife hates it. :) I can only set the volume on the sub to about 20% of the max or it drowns out the other speakers. It works well with my Bose system. I have read lots of Bose reviews on this site that diss Bose stuff, but I like the Bose speakers, and they work well with the CV-sub. Since it is downward firing, it provides a nice fat sound for home theater so that the floor and your stomach shake when the tornado in Twister comes by, or the helicopter smashes into the building in The Matrix. I did not know what I was missing until I got this sub. It is also good for music and adds tons where the Bose stuff leaves off. Even though I like the Bose setup, the Bose setup does not provide that low base you need for Nelly or even the good ole Baby Got Back. Adding the CV-sub makes this music sound like one of those booming bass cars that drive by. It sounds like a club in my own home!

I have the crossover set very low so that the overall stereo sound is not muffled. I also recommend using the Monster subwoofer cable that has a built in Y-connector. This works great when your receiver or DVD player has a sub-out and your sub has a left and right line-in. The line-level outputs are also cool, but I have not used them yet.

Also, try moving the sub around the room to find the best spot. Although, this is hard to do if you buy a cable that is too short.

I heard the LW-12 at Besy Buy, but I like the HTS-12 better. The only difference is the line level outputs and which way the speaker fires (LW = front, HTS = down).

Purchased At:   Consumer Direct Warehouse

Submitted by warrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
for the price you cant go wrong
produced more bass than subs twice the price
of course there is a bit of distortion when you crank it up to the max
but who cares the bass is there when it really counts i have it hooked up to a kenwood krx 1000 and bw speakers
i just have to now wait till the wife goes out to really
enjoy it and piss the neigbours off

Purchased At:   new zealand

Submitted by tyler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
get yours forhttp://www.commission-junction.com/track/track.dll?AID=511567&PID=300699&TYPE=PN&URL=http%
it rocks
it could play deep but the sub drops off around 30 to 38 hz
it should drop of around 20hz to 25 hz to be a relly good theater sub.
but you are able to crank this thing up relly loud

Purchased At:   local