Cerwin Vega LW-15
Description: Powered Subwoofer - 15" Driver - 200 Watt Amplifier

Submitted by fitzeke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
The Cerwin Vega LW15 is a great subwoofer for home theater. If you are familiar with CV, then you already know that bass is something that they're known for. This subwoofer carries on that trait in dramatic fashion. For a subwoofer in the less than $500 price range, it is in the top of its peer group. It has great low extension that never sounds like its bottoming out or overdriven. In fact, you will not even need to turn this sub past 50% in most rooms. Throughout the frequency response, the bass is even with no noticible spikes or dead spots. Overall, the LW15 is a great value

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Stiggyrawl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
Classic Cerwin Vega

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by MrPorterhouse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Amazingly hard-hitting, seriously low subwoofer. I've got two of these in my system(one for LFE and one for fronts). I have Cerwin Vega LS12 front speakers, LS-6C Center channel, Cerwin Vega E-76C Rear-center Channel, Bose 201 Series IV surrounds, and a Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX Receiver. These subs mate perfectly with this setup. They can handle every type of audio source I throw at them. "The Haunting" is a movie that showcases very low and extremely intense LFE's and the Cerwin Vega LW15 shines. This sub is incredible! I vibrated the coffee cups in the kitchen cabinets with these. Wow! I recommend this subwoofer for anyone who wants intense bass at any volume level. You won't regret this purchase. I am a total bass freak and my freak is "on" with these. Another favorite scene is when Darla is tapping on the fish tank in "Finding Nemo". Oh my GOD!. The only time I got these to distort was during a Low Frequecy Sine Wave test, and it took an intense peak at below 21Hz to get 'em to start to distort. THe Frequency Response Spec for these is listed as 27-150Hz, but I find they handle down to 22Hz with ease. Now, stop reading this review and go get this sub.

Purchased At:   mazelelectronics.com

Submitted by Robert a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Sad to say. My poor woofer that lastest for more than 2 years now is flabby as a grandma's arm in the wind. It no longer had the great power it when I first got it. When I would play it loud, it would sound like a loose tire wobbling. Some of my rap has bass in the 20's(Dj Screw).

As a result I went to the local flea market and looked at the car woofers they had. There was a lot of them but known of them at 8 ohms. After a long search I finally find one that is... An 800 Watt Q-Power subwoofer. Yet it wasn't A highend sub, but the specs and the price matched perfectly. As an electrician would know, Maximum power transfer is met when the impedence of the drivers is the same as the Amp. No matter if the impedence of the driver is less or greater than the amp. cost $100

It was easy to install the new driver into the box. But you do need a standard hex wrench to get the old cerwin vega woofer out. Then I had to clip the ends of the wires so it would fit in the new woofers connectors.

When I was done, fired it up. Big disapointment. It was very slow and boomy. But then I remember reading about car subs, you have to burn them in. So I got my old bass test mp3's and fired away.

2 hours later, i couldn't be in happier. If you read my past 2 reviews I complained about the lack of punch with the sub, now I cannot complain. My friend I had in the room complained that the sub hurt their chest too much.

All that comes at a cost, sorta. Now my sub completly dominates my entire system. I now have 2 12's as mains and I had to turn the from large speakers to small because the sub handled the bass better.

RIP old cerwin vega woofer.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by Brandon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this wonderful sub at best buy. Before i was going to get this I was going to get a 12 inch JVC sub. When I listened to the JVC it sounded like crap and distorted quickly. Then I came apon Cerwin Vega. It was wonderful!!!! I use a 500 watt or 100w times 5 Technics reciever. My front speakers are Bose 501's and my back are Bose 201's. All this stuff hooked up it can get incredibly loud and still sounds perfect. Ive had my reciever all the way up. No distortion in sub or speakers. Then the overheating message came on my reciever. Love it a lot!!!!!

Purchased At:   Best Buy; should of