Boston Acoustics PV800 Subwoofers

4.25/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $699.95

The PV800 includes a 12 inch (300mm) down firing woofer and a 300 watt amplifier.

Submitted by Joe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2014

Bottom Line:
Just picked up a PV800 for $100. It's my mid wall subwoofer and I have to say for my first BA product I am very impressed. Using a bass sweep test it can produce usable bass down to 19hz although there is a rather noticeable 3-4.5 dB drop around 22-24hz which is more than acceptable for this range of subwoofer. A previous reviewer stated he was disappointed and would go with Klipsch subwoofers next. Save your money and spend it on an SVS or Velodyne. Klipsch doesn't have a decent sub until the $800 range and even than it's nothing to write home about. Years ago when Mirage, Athena, Klipsch and Energy were all part of the same kick ass company they made their best products. Newer Klipsch subs like the Synergy Sub 10 and 12 are easily blown away by the cheaper Energy S10.3. Anyways for $100 this is the most solid sub I'm sure I'll ever find. Thanks Craigslist!

My system

Mirage OMD-15 rear surrounds
Mirage OMD-C1 center channel
Velodyne CT-150 x 2 left and right subwoofers
Boston Acoustics PV800 - Mid side wall subwoofer
MIT speaker cable all around
MIT interconnects
Acoustic Reaearch Power Conditioner x 4
Acoustic Research Master series subwoofer cable

Submitted by Peks1970 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have owned this sub for a while know and reading the reviews I have never heard the hum that a few people have referring to and after reading some of the comments I tested my sub. The only way that I could produce that hum was to turn the volume to the max but in my everyday music listening I am between 4 to 7 on the dial and there is no hum with my sub, even with my ear up to the side of the cabinet. I enjoy my PV800 sub and I am not looking to buy another product.

Submitted by Anthony Towsley a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'll admit it when I'm wrong. I'm convinced now a high percentage of these subs have defective amps. My Sub has developed the HUM. It was fine and recently it started to HUM. GRRRR! It is defnitely annoying and makes the sub unuseable for music/HT now. I'm going to take it apart, but I'm sure it is something with a defective AMP. Maybe try and get an aftermarker sub amp. I'm looking for a new Sub at this time to replace it as it is out of warranty. I probably won't buy another BA product at this point. Hsu/Velodyne/SVS for me now.

When it didn't have the Hum it was a great sub.

Submitted by Gregory Allen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have to say that I enjoy the tight responsiveness of the PV800. I spent quite a bit of time looking for the right sub and this one definately fits the bill. I have not experienced the 'humming sound' (in the 8 months that I have owned it) that others refer to. The sub is great for audio or home theater use and is a great buy.

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by de-rail-er a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just recently replaced my PV800. While the sound of the PV800 wasn't bad, I did not like the effect that the downward facing speaker caused. The speaker would unecessarily rattle everything in my house. Maybe it was due to the wooden floor, but I would definitely make sure you get a full return policy in case you see the same issues. As far as the hum that other reviews referred to, never heard it. It was connected to Yamaha DSP-A1.

Purchased At:   tweeter