Boston Acoustics PV800 Subwoofers

4.3/5 (27 Reviews) MSRP : $699.95

The PV800 includes a 12 inch (300mm) down firing woofer and a 300 watt amplifier.

Submitted by Anthony a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2017

Bottom Line:
Yes an audiophile. Audio-sound, and the Greek philos... for love. I love sound, audio.
I bought this from Craigslist for $100.00. I'm very happy with it. This'll be my 3rd (buying a PSB sub Friday for $45.00!!!!). This sub sounds better then my Velodyne 8". Tight bass response. It works well with my 7.2 surround sound system.
I put on Ironman 1... when he walked out of the cave, in the beginning of the movie.... man the place shook. (Velodyne blew out). Sounded great when I saw the beginning saving Private Ryan. Great for movies like Transformers. Well rounded tight sound for music also. Beautiful for orchestral music. Rap is right on. It just works baby. Can ya dig it!
Polk monitor 70, CS center(cause the CS2 is too dam big), Fxi surrounds. My only problem is getting the back wireless. Other then that... the BA sub is great for $100.00

Submitted by George Abanwa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have always love the effect of the pv8000 my old one is damaged.Now I need a new pv8000 either new or used

Submitted by Oz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
I received this sub from a friend for free as it had a 60Hz hum, was pretty bad. I took off the back panel and looked at the 4 circuit boards looking for the issue, none of the caps were bulging (caps that have dried out and lost their capacity. I then put my voltmeter on the output of the power supply, 31.5v DC, then switch my volt meter to AC, 950mV, wow, way to much AC ripple. I added three 220uF 75V caps (what I had laying around) to the power supply output, now the AC ripple was 5mV.

Hum be gone, free subs are nice, this thing is great, tight bass.

Submitted by Joe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2014

Bottom Line:
Just picked up a PV800 for $100. It's my mid wall subwoofer and I have to say for my first BA product I am very impressed. Using a bass sweep test it can produce usable bass down to 19hz although there is a rather noticeable 3-4.5 dB drop around 22-24hz which is more than acceptable for this range of subwoofer. A previous reviewer stated he was disappointed and would go with Klipsch subwoofers next. Save your money and spend it on an SVS or Velodyne. Klipsch doesn't have a decent sub until the $800 range and even than it's nothing to write home about. Years ago when Mirage, Athena, Klipsch and Energy were all part of the same kick ass company they made their best products. Newer Klipsch subs like the Synergy Sub 10 and 12 are easily blown away by the cheaper Energy S10.3. Anyways for $100 this is the most solid sub I'm sure I'll ever find. Thanks Craigslist!

My system

Mirage OMD-15 rear surrounds
Mirage OMD-C1 center channel
Velodyne CT-150 x 2 left and right subwoofers
Boston Acoustics PV800 - Mid side wall subwoofer
MIT speaker cable all around
MIT interconnects
Acoustic Reaearch Power Conditioner x 4
Acoustic Research Master series subwoofer cable

Submitted by Peks1970 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have owned this sub for a while know and reading the reviews I have never heard the hum that a few people have referring to and after reading some of the comments I tested my sub. The only way that I could produce that hum was to turn the volume to the max but in my everyday music listening I am between 4 to 7 on the dial and there is no hum with my sub, even with my ear up to the side of the cabinet. I enjoy my PV800 sub and I am not looking to buy another product.