B&W PV1 Subwoofers

4.25/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

2 x 8" mica/aluminium cone long-throw woofer, 500W Class D amplifier, 21Hz–31/110Hz adjustable ±3dB, 45lb.

Submitted by Justin Ansell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2017

Bottom Line:
I am not someone to write reviews but whilst sitting here listening to music today I felt compelled.

To set some context, in my house I am running Dolby Atmos with 7 x B&W M1s (Series 1s) and two very high quality ceiling speakers for the Atmos Channels. All connected to a Pioneer VSX-930 (bargain amp) as 7.2.1.

All music and films played through a 4k HTPC with Digital Audio via HMDI 2.0. I am not an audiophile (although I work in IT) but I do like good quality items, I have always used Paradigm (PDR-10 and PDR-12 - Canadian Manufactured) subwoofers.

I had always contemplated buying the PV1 but the Paradigms always seemed good subs, so kept with these.

6 months ago I finally bought a second hand PV-1, which was still quite a lot of money. I am blown away by how good it is, truly I am.

It took a while to match well, not due to positioning as it seems to be quite flexible in this regard, but in matching channel power and setting on the sub itself. I set the crossover on the amp to 110. When I finally found a seeming sweet spot (2 o'clock for power - 4 o'clock for Frequency) I was then able to run the amp through setup. Initially it seemed a real let down, but then I noticed the amp had set the front speakers to "Large". As soon as I changed this to "small" (as they should have been), WOW.

This is a remarkable sub woofer, and anyone who thinks not, is chasing too much "depth". Please don't think I mean anything bad by that, I know some people just love that.

The PV1 delivers real depth when it needs to, pumping out Electronica, Hip Hop, French Lounge House. It 's ability to generate "air wave" which you "feel" rather than "hear" (which is distortion through resonance) is remarkable. I struggle to understand how it can deliver such air pressure so easily. I cannot get anywhere near being able to drive the volume in my house to near full. It is wholly unfair on the neighbours at 45-50% max.

Where it just blows every previous sub woofer I have ever owned, or heard, is how it combines it's "power" with a level of agility and speed.

It is able to work through "multi-tiered" basslines (a slower less frequent deep bassline with a layered secondary bassline at high frequency but higher rate) that a lot of Electronica and French House tends to have. It's speed and ability to constantly deliver effortlessly is fabulous.

It is also incredibly impressive with delivering "drive" over good distance, placing bass where it needs to within the soundscape that the amp creates when setting the speakers up.

It changes how you "feel" the music as you "hear" all the detail through the 7 speaker channels but "experience" the effects the bass is supposed to deliver. This leads to a seemingly perfect balance between the layers of the tracks. The bass never over powers the rest of the sound, only ever aligning and enhancing.

When you watch movies, it is equally good. It is able to produce light small effects and then room shuddering effects no matter what the Digital Audio stream of pretty much any film thrown at it.

I cannot actually fault it. It is subtle when it needs to be, it delivers incredible bass, speed, agility, flexibility and removes resonance delivering a bass purity unmatched at this price point.

It has changed my view of what a truly capable sub woofer should deliver, and defines the standard.

For anyone that wants a really good audio speaker setup, I would urge you consider B&W PV1 and B&W M1s second hand. If you are into to quality, clarity, and purity then this is a bargain starting point.

I hope this review has been of use and worth the effort of reading.

J

Submitted by fendaaudio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
Best subwoofer £500+, Awards 2010. A remarkable subwoofer in every sense, the PV1 has to be taken seriously – it's awesome
For
Extraordinary blend of power and speed
utterly clean, uncoloured sound
small and gorgeous
Against
Nothing whatsoever

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/bw/pv1/review#zjwiUcO1RBWuWBLz.99

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2014

Bottom Line:
I don't understand any negative reviews of this sub. It's a small sub, so it's not going to shake the walls. But for it's size it's great. No distortion, great sound out of a small great looking sub. Works great for my home theater and pairs well with my FPMs.

Submitted by andy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
Hello i had a Monitor Audio Radius 360 it was crap. I've also had Rel Q100E it bottomed out so easily absolute garbage. Then i got PV1 for £950 ,what a rip off.You can get much better sub for £450. What hi fi rated it as 5 stars, it should be called what pay off the PV1.It has got not no rummble what so ever ,yes you can hear bass but dont feel anything what so ever. The only thing the PV1 has got going for it is that it is the nicest looking sub out there but all that glitters aint gold.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Dominic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
Amazing sub and here's why, it's not completely made by B&W, if you take a nice look at the specs it said ICEpower amplifiers, which is created and made by Bang & Olufsen, a Danish company (and far better than B&W) Anyhow the ICEpower amp is what makes it possible for B&W to have a sub as compact as this. Look for all B&W speakers to be outsourced in the near future, they have been manufacturing the majority of their speakers in China the past few years. Sucks to see a good company shut down their R&D and outscource to cheaper companies. There's still some great companies out there! Definitive Technology is the future! check them out! USA too!