B&W ASW 650 Subwoofers

4.52/5 (23 Reviews)

The ASW650 has all the attributes of the ASW600, but is more suited to larger rooms because of its greater output capability, achieved by a combination of a larger cabinet, driver and amplifier. In this case the driver is a 300mm (12 in) unit that can go lower in the bass that its smaller sibling. Its capabilities are fully exploited by the powerful 200W on-board amplifier.

Submitted by Gregg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2016

Bottom Line:
I bought my 650 "used" off craigs, I was a little skeptical since I had my Velodyne "cost of college" - 3yrs old) recently repaired due to poor (zero) heat dissipation for the amp ( expensive) ... As I researched this issue I found that for moderate priced subs with heat dissipation design ... that Paradigm and B&W are two of the best. I am using this in my bedroom system ( B&W cdm7se's, Citation amp, NAD pre, Marantz 6005 CD, Marantz 110 tuner, Akai R2R, Monster power conditioner) ... compared to my main system with the Velo,Adcom 750 pre and 545 main, Marantz 6006 CD, DP 59L TT, Nak 303 & Cdm9 NT's, etc it comes close ... this sub made it within a hairs difference of my main system, it is very musical ( good with movies but it is really a music sub) ... blends perfectly with my cdm7se's ... it is worth every penny ... best deal out there for a "pre-owned" sub ... and the heat dissipation design with very functional fins for the amp means it should last a long time ... at least on paper ...

Submitted by James Shannon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Bottom Line:

I bought the B&W ASW650 Subwoofer about four years ago with B&W VM1 Center and Front Speakers and B&W M1 Side and Rear Speakers. They are powered by a Denon AVR 2807 Receiver. I really like the way the system sounds for as my Home Theater. The bass from the 650 is clear and accurate. I am pretty disappointed that it stopped working after only four years though. I've had much less expensive system that have lasted much longer without a problem. I took it to an authorized service center, and it's going to cost me $195 to fix. I hope the speakers last much longer than that without any problems. I really miss the sub though, the sound is much thinner without it.

Submitted by Kyle JMU a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have always been a fan of good sound for both music and home theatre, but it wasn't until recently that I discovered what good sound was. I had been running a polk Rti system with a denon integrated amp. I had researched speakers all summer and finally this winter I decided to go with the B&W 600 series. I added the 602 bookshelves and the lcr60 center and they sounded amazing. What did not sound amazing however was my polk sub. So i went back to this store stereo types and the owner introduced me to some subs. I listened to a few klipsch subs and a few B&W's. I was amazing at how the asw650 blended when listening to music. I picked it up and I am so happy with the performance. Finally I am able to listen to music with deep clear bass that isn't boomy. The sub is much more active that any sub i've had before. The first movie I watched with the new set up was Crash and i was blown away. I don't need my music or my movies too loud and what i like best about the asw650 is the bass response with only the 200W amp. It is just enough bass. At the same time I enjoy throwing on Big Tymers and maxing out the system, and trust me this sub gets the job done. I completely recommend this subwoofer to anyone who is stepping up into entry level high end sound. There is a drastic difference between this and any polk, mirage, or other mid range sub I have ever listened to.

Purchased At:   Stereo Types Charlot

Submitted by Huge a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
My May 29 2005 review has to be updated:

The subwoofer was still sounding great. The only problem was that a friend overloaded the sub with a sudden loud peak of sound. Since the Denon reads volume as minus xx dB, he thought he had to go into the plus range. The amp switched on at the plus setting, blowing loudly. I had the auto-ON setting enabled and ever since the sub switched auto-on at a higher sound input level. Furthermore, I am going to have to return the sub because after a power out and a reset to power on due to next door construction (on Manhattan) the sub does not work anymore. I suspect the auto-ON circuit is cheap and not suited for power peaks so I am getting a surge protector. Still want to stay with this box; my system sounds quite thin without it right now.

Purchased At:   Stereo Exchange NYC

Submitted by ciscokid1970 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
I am a big B&W Fan.

I have B&W 601s with asw300 in my listening room and also have ceiling speakers in my bedroom.

Normaly you can buy B&W in any price range and you will be assured of best sound and value in that price range.

I was shopping for a new sub for my home theater room. Since I have B&W ceiling speakers and center channel...might as well get a B&W sub to match.

Went to local shop listened to the following:
ASW 600
ASW 650
ASW 675
ASW 700

After listening I took home both the ASW 650 and ASW 675. I do this all the time...guys at store know me. Burned them in for 24 hours using stereophile test cd. Hooked them up to my system and this is what I found.

ASW 650 was less expensive, sounded smoother, richer, better dynamic range with music, Miles davis, Led zeppelin. It was even more obvious with movies such as jurassic park 3 and Independence day.

Yes this sub is better suited for Home theater but you will not find a sub this big that can reproduce music as well as this one can.

What gives with the ASW 675 ?
Well after looking carefully at the specs I noticed that it has a class D amp (as in Digital) These amps "claim" more accurate controlled sound while also consuming less electricity and making less heat. It also allows them to customize the frequency curve of the signal so that they can "squeeze" more bass out of a smaller driver. Now the thing that bugs me is that the ASW 675 is almost twice the price yet I KNOW that the material to make this is cheaper that the ASW 600 so this is a expensive Ripp off.

What happens is that D class Amps do not have anywhere near the richness or dynamic range of good old fashinoned Class A or Class B. And when driven hard they distort and sound thin.

After further investigation I realized that ALL of the B&W line from ASW 675 up to the ASW 855 has digital amps !!! I wanted to cry.

SO IF YOU WANT A B&W WITH CLASS B AMP THIS IS THE LARGEST ONE YOU CAN BUY. The units below are also class B amps.

Buy this sub today...before they replace it with some cheap D amp sub.

Purchased At:   home theater store