B&W ASW 600 Subwoofers

4.81/5 (16 Reviews)

The 250mm (10 in) driver employs an extremely rigid cone to withstand the considerable forces generated by dynamic bass signals and the integral 150W amplifier, features our Bass Overload Suppression System circuitry to avoid the annoying distortion effects that might normally occur should some unexpectedly loud signal threaten to overload the subwoofer. The ASW600 can accept both line level and speaker level inputs and has a choice of equalisation, enabling the response to be tailored to your room.

Submitted by profkaces a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was in the market for a subwoofer to complement my B&W System. I'm running two DM601-S3 in the front L/R, a LCR-60 in the center, and two DM303's in the rear. My interest was mainly to find a subwoofer capable of producing sounds in the low end spectrum (below 100 Hz) definitively and, more importantly, with clarity and precision. I was in search of a sub capable of fortifying the lower end of my front speakers, rather than exhibiting superfluous amounts of boom. With a sub-$700 budget, I considered products from HSU Research, Paradigm, B&W, and Aperion. Of course, I am so pleased with my other B&W products, I had no problem trusting them with an additional purchase. Also, I was able to go to a dealer and listen to the B&W subs, whereas HSU and Aperion deal solely on a mail-order basis.

I listened to both the ASW 600 and the ASW 650, not considering price, but mainly my medium room size, and my desire for a tight, accurate subwoofer. The ASW 650 did, in fact, sound deeper and fuller in the ultra low-end than the 600, but that wasn't what I was looking for. The ASW 600 reproduced the descending/ascending notes of a walking bass line like a champ, with no complaints, no blurry manipulation, or boombox colorations. Don't get me wrong, the 600 was still capable of slamming some low-end beats for the rap or rock fun, which was all the more encouraging.

So far, the ASW 600 has proven to be exactly what I was looking for. The ASW 600 is well-balanced, tight and accurate in represenatation, while packing enough punch for the boomy-bass enthusiast. If you're looking for a subwoofer to add to the clarity of your system, while not detracting from it, this is the perfect sub for you. If you're looking for unending amounts of sheer power, Ocean's 11 - Seth Green's "speakers so powerful, it'll blow her clothes off" - then you should probably invest your money elsewhere (maybe Sony or JBL?) where you can get more wattage for the buck. Then you can use the rest of your money to buy a lawnmower, since it's likely the neighbors won't kindly let you borrow theirs anymore.

Purchased At:   Spearit Audio - Bost

Submitted by Chong Ooi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
Auditioned many subs such as JBL PB10, Velodyne, Yamaha. Initially decided to purchase Yamaha 250W sub but dealership did not allow laybuys. This other dealer had other subs and after listening to various others I was too fed up about which sub sounded suitable. I decided to just buy the ASW600 because I liked the B&W300 series sub. The initial first day didn't blow me out, I was still thinking the Yamaha would have been a better sub coz it sounded really nice on my neighbours rig. After fine tuning and playing more often and listening to various DVD movies, its grown on me. In terms of low end bottom bass, it kills the Yamaha easily. I would advise purchases that your main speakers should carry upper bass and for stereo music. Don't expect the sub to fill up if you have teeny tin-can main speakers. The sub will produce lower bass but not fill the upper bass frequencies. For the purpose of delivering low bass for movies, this sub is the best and certainly very powerful. I could hear the loud bass down the corridor with the door shut!

Purchased At:   Homezone Digital

Submitted by yossarian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had two goals in selecting a sub- it had to be musical and it had to be free of the bloated, flatulent distortion a lot of subs put out during substained bass sequences (such as the opening scene of SW:Ep2 or the Kaazad Doom scene in Fellowship). I've been using the ASW600 for about a month now, and even though I'm sure it's not fully broken in, I've been extremely impressed with its performance. Sustained bass sequences, such as the ones listed above, are tight and smooth. It fills out the bottom end of music reproduction excellently as well (I use PSB Alpha Bs in front, with an Alpha C center and Alpha Minis in the rear, and a Denon AVR-1801 receiver). The handling of the LFE channel on the Metallica DVD-Audio was damn near immaculate. This unit has amplification to spare- I only have the volume turned to the nine o'clock position and it's as powerful as I need (albeit in a fairly small room- the room at the dealers was larger and it was more than adequate there as well). I use the Denon's crossover in all applications (shunts everything south of 80hz to the sub). It's a beautiful unit, and B&W is known for accurate performance specs... this unit is rated to 26hz -3dB and so far it's handled everything I can toss its way beautifully. Incidentally, I am using a $15 radio shack gold series sub cable with built-in Y adapter connection, and as I've said, it sounds mint. No need to spend $60 or more on audiophile cables. I am fully satisfied with its value and performance.

Purchased At:   Audio Den, L.I. NY

Submitted by EricP a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
There's not much that I can say that hasn't already been said here. I really do enjoy this sub. It really does fill out the sound in my system. I've tried using the crossover in the sub and from my sony receiver, i like the internal crossover more just because of the ease of adjustment. All in all I wouldn't go back on my purchase I got it for a great price, better then someone below who bought it from the same store in Montreal so I can't complain at all.

Purchased At:   Layton Audio

Submitted by Dane Kara a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had the 600 for about 2 months and traded it back for the 675, but I'm not so sure that was the best decision I have made recently. The 675 is much tighter and more responsive, especially in music, but less forgiving in placement and settings. Maybe I'll get it right with the 675 soon, but in retrospect the 600 was probably fine for me in both music and movies.

B&W asw 600 series subs...

I have been very impressed with these newer subs from B&W...musical, clean, accurate, and fairly deep bass for their prospective price points...the entry level $500 model has no right to sound this good!...I equate this to B&W's enormous research pockets...ie. driver construction...sealed design...a ... Read More »