B&W ASW 1000 Subwoofers

4.49/5 (49 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

12" Subwoofer - 120 Watts

Submitted by dill a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
hi, wicked sub/amp.. i can use more speakers with less hassle.... i found mine on freecycle.org ...some guy was gonna throw it away as it didnt fit in his new house,.. i was at his door in less than 2o minutes....
i struggled to get it my boot with the speakers i have in the parcel shelf..... it rocks my house.. my mrs hates me.. but its sooooooooooooo worth it for freee :) happy days lol

Submitted by Novak a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
I just purchase this subwoofer because I wanted to add more bass to mu system. The base of the system includes T+A PA1500 Amplifier and B&W CM4 Loudspeakers. I expected very much from B&W ASW1000, but I am disappointed. It have very very boom sound, a lot of resonance, it produces a unbelievable ear pressure. I have tried everything, both active and passive mode, I tried to move it on almost every spot in my room in order to find right position. Also, I noticed that surroundings on my B&W ASW1000 are very hard on palpation, much much harder than on my B&W ASW1000. I wonder if this could be the problem. Can anybody give a commend regarding this? Does yours B&W ASW1000 have surrounding like mine?

Submitted by JeffMackwood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
Thought I'd throw in a recent comment or two in case someone saw one of these used and was wondering about making the purchase or not.

The short of it is that it's a good "traditional" style sub that will play smooth, loud and low enough to work in most small to medium size HT set-ups. It would be a good deal if purchased for less than $200.

I own one - which I use in concert with four other powered subs in my main HT. It operates in concert with two Velodyne Servo 1200 subs to handle the bass management signals below 40 Hz from from the "7" speakers in a 7.1 set-up. With careful balancing and the use of a Velo SMS-1 EQ for that three-sub combination, I'm able to achieve flat response from 15-100 Hz. While I've never used the B&W all by itself per se, while leveling and calibrating each sub individually I noticed that it held up well by itself from 25 Hz upwards.

For stand-alone high volume ultra low reproduction this is not your sub - especially not in a mid to large room. But otherwise it's quite good.

Submitted by Levi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
I received this subwoofer about 1 week ago and all I can say is WOW

I am using it for Stereo Sound only. I am using a Red Rose Music Passion Integrated Amplifier with the B&W DM600S Bookshelf speakers. I have used alot fo subwoofers before, but so far this one was the best for 2 channel music.
It sounds very natural, it hits hard, and is amazing. I only have it at a quarter in volume, and it shakes my room, but it stays very clean at the same time.
I would recommend this sub for anyone.

Purchased At:   From A Friend

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I took this on trade for some other equipment not expecting much. I was pleasantly suprised at how well it performs. I have had a number of Subs over the years and the only one that I have kept is the 12 year old M&K MX 5000 that still hasn't been beaten......yet. The B&W is a very nice piece, particularly at used market prices.

Purchased At:   Audiogon