Athena Technologies AS-P4000 Subwoofers

• 28-ounce magnet
  • Variable low pass filter

Submitted by Too Slow Monroe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
These are great, affordable little subs. They don't quite reach down as far as some of the big-dollar subs...but for the price, you can't beat the value. These have been in my system since the early 2000's as backup to a pair of Martin Logan AriusI's and have found them to be very musical.

Had an opportunity to borrow a friends $2,500 Velodyne. You could hear a huge difference in the depth of the sonic range, the big V would go very low...but overall, if you could live w/o a half an octave, the Athena sounded fine. Good speed to keep up with the Martin Logans.

I would recommend these to anyone that has a budget and looking for nice clean sound.

I own a total of four of these, and on two, I have some slight puckering of the vinyl as it meets the front face plate. None of my friends have noticed, I seem to be the only one that sees this. They are getting old, and have been through three moves now...they seem to have survived fairly well (always moved with the factory boxes and packaging.)

Currently have two of these, one with each Martin Logan in the wife's living room...small enough that she does not fret having these, large enough to actually sound okay.

You won't go wrong for the price.

Submitted by bubbagump a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
i have had this sub for about 6 years now, watched at least a 1000 movies and it is still going strong, the only reason i replaced it was because i got a good deal on a velodyne, this will go on kijiji and make someone else happy.

Submitted by KGprince a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have no problems with this subwoofer. I have owned it for a little while and the only problem I have is that I live in an apartment, and I worry about the LFE bothering my neighbors. It is an incredible woofer, It hits the lower twenties with ease and punches out the rest of the band no problem. The front dial volume control is a great feature, and paired with the frequency cut-off dial,makes this one of the more convenient woofers I've owned. Plus I don't know anyone who can beat the price I bought it at. $40 from a guy who used is twice and decided it was too much power for his taste. overall, its perfect for anyone who wants tight low bass.

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
Very potent sub and mixes perfectly with my other Athena audio products. I have a fairly large room for our home theater and this sub has no problems. However in our old house - we had our setup in much smaller room and the sub was truly incredible - it blew me away the first time I listened to it. Jack Johnson's songs were amazing as the base guitars notes and percussion sounds awesome

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Sheep a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I received this subwoofer as a replacement for an AS-P400 that was fried in a power surge (no monster power bar). At first Ithought I was getting a great deal, considering I bought the P400 used, and this was the "revised" unit.

This unit is much to light for a 10inch 400 watt class AB subwoofer. Not saying that there is a specific guidline, but it should atleast weight 40ish pounds. When I first hooked it up, I nooticed that the volume knob needed to be around 3 or less to be the correct blend for my system. When I was putting it through its paces, it actually started shuffling across the floor, and when a big bass burst hit, the subwoofer would jump half an inch! This is NOT what I would expect from API. I have all energy speakers and have owned an energy subwoofer before (now use Velodyne) and this is terrible. There should be enough mass in the unit itself so it doesn't move, regardlesss of floor surface. Also, if this is a problem they should have different feet (oh lets say, rubber?) for hard surfaces.

After putting some shipping foam under the feet I began actually listening to the unit. First this I noticed, boomy. It had NO definition in the 40-50 range, but it had lots of output. For some, thats good enough. I however, like my subs tight. It also can't hit its rated FR limit. It did alright with a 26hz tone, but the second you crank it, port noise becomes VERY loud.

So this is my breif blab about this sub. You can find it online for very cheap (sub 200 dollars) and its a good deal, but please take into account what I've said.

I will be posting a full length review in a month or so On Audioholics (Under the name "Sheep").

SheepStar