Aperion Audio S-12 Subwoofers

4.55/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

The award winning Aperion Audio Intimus S-12 subwoofer delivers 250 watts of continuous power, providing enough eye-singeing power to fill any size room in your home.

Submitted by z32type a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
I just recently bought this because I saw it for 350 dollars from a private seller and could not pass up on this. i am not familiar with any of the Aperion stuff,but figure why not its only 350 and the reviews were good as well. I also have a Audiosource SW15 as well,but I would never forget when i had to sell my Energy S12.3 cuz I needed the money at the time and came across the Audiosource SW15. Anyways I now have the Aperion S-12 and so far on my testing i took about 3 hours to use Audssey measuring from my Denon, I wanted to get the best quality bass and accurate measure. Audssey usually measures everything to 75db on each speakers,but the sub was so hard to measure since it was so loud I had to cut off the low pass filter(cross over) and turn the volume bass down so it will trim the decibels down a bit. The results were very tight bass, very developing, sense of depth was ok. I still like the Energy S12.3 the bass was more extended and extremely deep. I still recommend this subwoofer. Its a good buy and performs nicely.

Submitted by Traumajunkie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
Filling a huge room 25x20x10 ft ceilings was going to require one hell of alot of woofage for a throttle jock like myself. I spent a month searching on line and elsewhere for what I believed to be the best out there for the money. Along comes the Aperion Intimus 12" sub; a superbly crafted, beautiful, tight,deep and loud piece of equipment that I can't wait to show off to family and friends. Right out of the box and velvet bag this thing captured bass notes all the way down to the upper 20 Hz range with a seeming lack of effort....it's not even broken in yet! At 66 lbs this thing is a monster built for serious low-end business

Purchased At:   Aperion on-line

Submitted by Maelwys a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 12" Sub as part of a 5.1 system and have loved it every moment. My original sub had the same cabinet splitting problem that was described in an earlier review, however I called Aperion about it and their customer service was exceptional. They shipped me one of the newer models (the old ones were solid hardwood and prone to splitting due to humidity and heat changes, while the new ones are 1/2" hardwood over a 1.5" solid presswood core) which I received in a week, and they gave me a UPS ship tag to return the defective unit, all free of charge.

The new unit is, as I said, wonderful. No splitting problems in the cabinet have been evident in the year or more I've owned it. The unit is extremely heavy, but that is to be expected from a quality Sub. Bass response is very nice... although I find that it takes a lot of bass to make the Sub switch itself on from standby. Set up was a breeze once it was in place.

Overall, it's a great unit, and one that costs less than others I've seen and heard. If you're looking for something a little different, that has excellent build quality and great sound, give these guys a try.

Submitted by rob r a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
Out of the box. Its heavy and beautiful. Very rich looking cherry wood cabinet. Found out after they shipped it that I could of gotten high gloss black( which would match better with my other stuff). So I called them and without hesitation they were gonna ship me a new blk one at their cost, from oregon to ny no less. I called them back up and said the cherry wood finish is just too nice, and im used to it already.
Musically I thought my speakers were capable of reproducing good bass, boy was I wrong. I keep the sub volume at 1/3 to 1/2 like they say, depending on my mood and music, and now my listening pleasure has taken on a whole new dimension which i never knew existed. No boom at all, extremely tight bass, never bottoms out, or overpowers my jbl towers. I have it in a 27x18 foot room and could not imagine ever needing a more powerful sub. Can fill in the lows quietly or shake the house depending on ur taste.
Now for home theatre, its even more impressive. Movies go from quiet to loud in a second, and the explosions (depending on sub volume) are amazing. watching star wars trilogy with this sub will make u think ur on the death star , and surely ur whole house will know about it as well. This is exactly what i was missing, was getting ready to hate it, cause I bought it blind,and they have a great return policy, but dont sweat it, all around sub for 599, this thing ROCKS!

Purchased At:   direct from mfg

Submitted by Alec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am new to the subwoofer game, but I am impressed with the SW-12. I have

Mains: Paradigm studio/40s
Center: Studio CC
Surround: 12 year Old JBL 2-ways
Receiver: Outlaw 1050

I auditioned other subs at specialty store, but thought that I would try the SW-12 out anyway. It seems to blend in very well with the system in both Music and HT applications. It definitely has enough power for me. You can feel the bass, and it shakes the house when asked to, but I was surprised that it can be subtle as well. The subwoofer is out of view in my HT room, (which isn't necessarily a good thing, because it is a nice looking speaker) Friends of mine are astonished at how my mains put out such defined bass at low listening levels. Then when it gets turned up they realize that it is a sub, but it lets me know that it is blending well with the mains.

As with all subs, I had to move it around to get the sound the way I like it. And it can get tiring. It is a pretty big box.

Dealing with Aperion itself was as great experience, as far spending $599 goes.

If I had to pick out a weakness I would say that it might be a little slow when listening to some types of music but this might have to do with placement, I will have to experiment more with it.

I am a bit disappointed to hear that they are offering different finishes now and I would have liked something more of a rosewood color. But it is out of view anyway, so it won't be too hard to live with.

I decided to keep the sub and I couldn't be happier with it.

Purchased At:   www.aperionaudio.com