Adire Audio Shiva Subwoofers

4.95/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $125.00

12" Speaker 600W with a one-way Xmax of 15.1 mm

Submitted by Edhead123 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got this sub because I had read so many good things about it and my old sub just wasn't hitting the low frequencies as well as I wanted.

I'm using this in the car with about 1.8 ft^3 sealed. Right now, it's getting about 200 watts. I think it would work at it's best at about 300 watts rms.

When i first had it hooked up, I didn't think it was working very well, but it turned out that the sub was just hitting a lot lower than I was use to.

There are more things rattling in the car than ever before :)

Submitted by T L a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
First let me say this review is for the Adire Audio Rava Subwoofer which consist of the alreadly venerable "Shiver" 12" driver. This sub has not been around very long, but I am very happy I found the RAVA. After doing my research, and being an analytical chemist for 30 years makes me a very particular person, especially about my music and HT. I have listen to may great subs in my time and this sub has no peers at its price point and even higher. I cannot say enough about the RAVA. This sub
does not only sound outstanding, but also look simply stunning. Being a sealed sub it is mostly a musical sub, very articulate with great definition and speed. Blends well with any fronts on music and in your HT setup it slams very well in medium to large rooms. Check with kyle@acoustic-visions.com and you will be happy you did.

My System:
Adire Audio Rava 12" Subwoofer (already a ledgend), trust me!!!
Acoustic Research "venerable" AR302's 1995 on Front.
Canton Nestor 403 in the Center.
Mirage FRX One's in the Rear.
RCA 46" rear projection.
Pioneer D-V414 DVD Player.
Onkyo Integra DX-C606 CD Player.
Dual Turntable.
2-Parasound HCA 1201A THX Ultra 150 watt Amps pre-out from front channels of Teac AG-D9320 Receiver.

Purchased At:   kyle@acoustic-vision

Submitted by Dave Bullet a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
In NZ there aren't many options for quality subs. You either have to buy a "McCombo" speaker package - including a sub that lacks power and frequency range with a box construction that is flimsy (note. A solid box is probably the single most important thing with a quality sub). I can buy decent REL etc... subwoofers - but these start at $2,500. I was left with DIY.

I investigated both a Shiva from Adire and a Peerless XLS (from peerless) subwoofer drivers. Both are 12" and have had excellent reviews. The Shiva is slightly more expensive than the Peerless but has received better overall reviews and computer simulations looked better than the peerless.

I bought the Shiva from Acoustic Concepts in australia, and a 300 watt plate amplifier from redgum audio. Both gave excellent customer service.

This is the first component I've ever built. I designed my own cabinet, using a single front facing Shiva driver with a rear 4" PVC port. The port can take a screw on cap so I can make the box either a sealed or vented, depending on whether I want excellent transients or bass extension (same as the HSU designs - only better as the capped screwed on is airtight).

With careful planning the enclosure is straightforward to build - with only a jigsaw and cordless drill. I did cheat and have a local timber yard cut the MDF for me - highly recommend this if you do not have a tablesaw.

I have a wife who was particularly fussy about the finish - even she thinks I've done a good job (simply painted it with black enamel).

The cabinet is a net 141 litres, tuned to 22Hz.

This sub reaches the low of the lows. In the Matrix I did not realise how much background sub 30Hz bass there is at times. The scene with the helicopter crashing into the building makes you back away from the TV!

On music - I need some more tuning to blend in the sub, but on drum in bass, dance, even pipe organ - it handles this with authority

Purchased At:   Acoustic Concepts /

Submitted by Sean Widmer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I listen to a wide variety of music and expect my sub to accommodate my needs every step of the way. I also watch plenty of movies and need low trembling bass when the DVD call for it. The Adire Shiva MKIII is what I have spent the last 2 years looking for! If you want real bass without spending $3000 then you will want to check out this sub. Do not buy a pre-made commercial sub without exploring the Shiva first, otherwise you may waste your money on a 'sub-standard' sub that will provide disappointing sound. If you have no woodworking skills to build the enclosure, just go to any car audio shop in your area and ask them if they make custom enclosures. Most of them will, then you can just print out a pdf from the web that and it will give them the specs on recommended enclosures for the Shiva. Whatever you do, make sure to put the shiva in a good box. You should check out www.acoustic-visions.com and ask them any questions you have about the Shiva.

Submitted by MATRIXJ a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the last driver you will ever need! IT MOVES TONS OF AIR HITS HARD AND GOES DEEEEEP!
My home theater will never be the same! I have made an HSU killer with this driver. My box is 4.75 cu ft. It is bottom firing with two front firing 17 inch ports. It is tuned to (18 Hz) with a boost at 30 hz.

The scene in lord of the rings with the cave troll can not be described....when he first appears there is MASSIVE 20 Hz,30 Hz AND 40 Hz energy! The driver can reproduce his hammer blows that not only sound loud but will make your couch and house.....bounce violently!
The part when the elves are crossing the bridge and the when the bridge is breaking apart...you can FEEL every stone tearing apart....and the Balrock's footsteps...20 hz of pure stomp will make you run for cover! Monster's Inc...is full of HUGE bass energy as is the Phantom Menace...the pod race has so many different frequences of bass that I could not feel and diferinciate until I aquired the Shiva. EVERY drivers engine has a different bass energy that if you close your eyes you can tell by feeling the different resonating bass..which driver is on the screen! I built my sub for under $400 including an amp....lets say it is worth about 2000! Do yourself a favor...don't buy any of the store 'toy subs'...the shiva is a high excursion driver! It can move 4 times the air than any of the store brands at 5 times less the price! What I like best about the Shiva is that I have yet to bottom out this driver! Other drivers like the Titanic have bottomed out during some scenes...not the Shiva...make sure you have a dedicated HT....or the wife will hate ya!

Purchased At:   Acoustic Visions