Acoustic Research ARS500
Description: The ARS500 is a slot loaded, Trajectory Port Coupled Bob Carver/Sunfire® Powered Subwoofer. Rated at 500 watts RMS with a freqeuncy response down to 18Hz.

Submitted by Digital Disaster a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
We've been using this subwoofer for almost three years now and all I can say is "WOW"! From classical music to rock this thing is awesome.
I too was worried about response from a 15" driver but the Sunfire amp has the big horsepower to kick it like a jackhammer with no mushiness.
HT applications are dramatic, threatening to dislodge anything thats not screwed down and punishing every pane of glass in the house. We have this in a corner behind a large easy chair and warn people not to sit there unless they want to liquify their spleen.
A word to the wise: You best be on good terms with all of your surrounding neighbors, they WILL know when you're listening to music or watching a movie.
I would pay over twice the price for this kind of quality and performance - simply outstanding.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by nader a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the best subwoofer for the money. Period. I also own a Paradigm servo-15 which was highly rated by several magazines and retails for $1500 and this $1000 ARS500 either matches it or beats it in sound quality (not just shear output, but good sounding bass). Moreover, the Paradigm servo-15 is hard to find for less than $1350. The Acoustic Research ARS500 can be had for as little as $600 on many online shops.

Submitted by Ballsweat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, I just bought this beast of a speak called the Acoustic Research ARS500 just the other day. I have only a small Panasonic Mini-System with an additional two bookshelf speakers split off (the amp in my minis-system is amazing!).
In any case, I was in the market for some more power, and having some money in the bank, I decided to go shopping.
I looked around for stuff in the $500 Cdn range, and I came upon this speaker -- retail $1000 Cdn, on sale for $550 (it was a floor model). I though, not bad.
I had the salesman hook it up, and it blew me away. At 1/3 volume, the vents nearly sucked my hands in when I was feeling the air move. I took it home with me, and the neighbours came knocking on the door. Later that week, I also took it to a house party, and hooked it up. Going at 1/2 - 3/4 volume, I was maxing this beast and blowing everyone on the dance floor away.
I now have the envious admiration of my peers, and the bass quality and quantity that I had earlier experienced from a Sunfire True Subwoofer Junior. It is nuts how much air this thing can move, and even in my small 11'x9' room, there is no distortion or blind spots, only rich, deep bass that knocks down anything in my room not bolted.
Finally, testing this thing on Bob Carver's very own recommended demo material just knocked me to the floor as well. There is nothing left for me to say.

Visit http://www.acoustic-research.com/ars500_content.asp for info on the ARS500 and it's little brother, the ARS300.

Visit http://www.sunfire.com for all of Bob Carver's information (they are also the manufacturer of the amp used in both AR subs).

Purchased At:   Visions Electronics

Submitted by V V a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with this sub. I use its amplifier to drive its own driver and another passive subwoofer I made myself - 16"x8feet sonotube with 15" Tempest driver ( http://adireaudio.com/cd/tempest.htm ).
So I can use them in 3 modes: original ARS-500 with its 4 Ohm driver, my sonotube with its 4 Ohm Tempest or both connected with 8 Ohm total. The last mode is my favorite - very deep soft bass.
I had minor but serious problem with this sub though - similar to that guy with 1 star rating. When it was delivered it didn't work at all - no any sound but all lights came on on input signals. I opened its control panel - it was easy - 8 or 12 screws - and found the internal wire just was not connected to the driver. I connected it and now after 10 months had no problems.

Purchased At:   web

Submitted by Navid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
It feels good to own a higher end sub for 500 dollars. This thing is loud, tight, well defined, and very full sounding. Powered by 500 watts of sunfire technology. Moves air that you can actually feel from a good distance and rumbles very low. Home theater is very nice and the sub is 15" yet a strong musical performer. I am willing to bet that anyone will be satisfied.

I am also posting a review to make up for the 1 star that someone posted earlier.

You obviously had a broken sub. You need to review the sub by actually listening to one. You are basically saying that because it doesn't work, it doesn't sound good. Now does that make sense? Having a broken sub is not a weakness because then we all must have that weakness. Give me a break.