Rockustics OMNI-PLANTER 8.0
Description: <ul> <li>8.00" Coax</li> <li>75 Watt</li> <li>4 Ohm</li> <li>24" dia x 20"h</li> </ul>

Submitted by Staber a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
So far, so good. For outside speakers, these sound very enjoyable. Other than the fact that the fake terra cotta looked very cheap, the sound from these do not sound cheap. I painted the planters with textured brown spray paint after using a plastic primer. They are on a raised two level deck equi-distant from both ends with buulding wall on two sides like an "L". Driven by an old 200 watt Adcom amp and preamp using 12 gauge speaker wire.

I've not had a ton of listening time yet, but what I have played sure sounded fine to me with no real obvious shortcomings. Good base heft (make sure the planters are full of the recommended pea gravel, dirt and plants to "load" the driver assembly. I played them empty when I first got them and they do not have the controlled bass heft that appears when full. I did play Bela Fleck's Flight of the Cosmic Hippo quite loud ( a piece known for its rather low bass excursions) and it sounded quite neutral to what I am used to hearing from my inside speakers (Thiel CS 2.2's) then played some piano pieces with a lot of highs. Mighty fine. For the bucks, worth it. There they sit and no one even suspects that they are speakers (key to my wife's approval on the deck!). I recommend them where other rock looking speakers just won't do for your outdoor situation.

Product model year:   2009