Polk Audio Rm5400 Home Theater Speaker Systems

4.66/5 (29 Reviews)

Submitted by j tomei a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
The system has a decent sound, however, the subwoofer has finally blown up. I made the switch to a Velodyne and am much happier.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by Philip a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have posted on here before and said that these speakers are great. I also posted earlier that I thought the manual was being dumb for fixing the configuration so that the reciever is hooked up to the sub and then from the sub to the front speakers. Well, I owe Polk Audio a big apology. I have been blowing my sub several times throughout the year and I originally thought it was that I was playing to loud. After the 3rd time of taking it back to Circuit City, I called Polk to see what else could be going on. They told me that the line input that I was using should not be used unless the front speakers are different. So I was shocking my sub this whole time. Deepest regrets. Oh well, I have a 1 year warranty so I didn't spend any money on this. Just some embarrasment. I guess that's why I'm not an Audiophile. My friend from N. Houston told me to do this so it's his fault. :-D Just kidding friend from N Houston if you are reading.

Submitted by Charles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have arrived at the Polk family of speakers by way of Bose and Infinity. The Bose can be quicly eliminated. They really sound good only if you listen to them in insolation, and swear never to listen to anything else. While the infinity's were nice, the sound was unbearably thin. The RM5400 on the other hand, when correctly setup and adjusted are within there price range magnificient.
I considered a number of different speakers and auditioned quite a few, for the price I think that you would be hard pressed to find anything that sound better. The manual is kind of weak, and the surrounds are large, but other than that its "cherry".

Submitted by Philip a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
Hi kids. I'm following up my previous review to say that this is still a great deal and system after 8 months of use. Only bad thing that happened to me was sub blew on the movie "Any Given Sunday". I'm not sure if it was a timing issue or the movie was at fault, but the card on my sub blew causing a lot of popping noises. But Circuit City repaired it with no charges since it has a 1 year warranty on the electronics of the sub. Still an excellent buy

Submitted by Richard M a

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy this system. I have had no problems whatsoever with the system or it's performance.
This is a great system for anyone interested in a high quality home theater on a budget. I purchased them at CC on sale for 600.00 along with a Sony 930 reciever for 360.00, can't beat that deal!