JBL SCS125 Home Theater Speaker Systems

4.19/5 (32 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

6-piece Home Theater Speaker set

Submitted by Don a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for an excellent, economical surround speaker system, I highly recommend this system. For movies, these speakers will provide all the sound you need - anything else is overkill. They also disappear into your room.

Just remember, this is JBL's Simply Cinema Series. These are not designed for music listening, even though they are not bad except for some loss in the midranges.

For those who have had difficulty with these speakers - "blur" (sic) sound or having to turn up the volume to 50% to hear them, you are obviously not doing something right.

Overall, great speakers for the money.

Submitted by Jacob a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Don't buy the Bose over these little JBL's. You would be waisting a lot of money. The JBL's still suffer from the little speaker syndrome - All Highs and Lows. Although they are not real good at either. But we are only talking about $400 bucks here. I have them in a large family room right now and they do just fine. They make movies fun and that is all these little guys are meant to do. you can't be to critical on 400 dollar speakers. Overall I give them a thumbs up for value and performance. They are on their way into my master bedroom. They are great because my wife does not like to see speakers.

MY HT SYSTEM
35" Sony Trinitron
DSS RCA SAT
Monster Cabel everywhere
Toshiba 3100 DVD
Marantz SR 19 EX Receiver - Ooh La la!
Atlantic Tech 370 THX Speakers

Good Hunting! JDB

Purchased At:   BestBuy

Submitted by IggyB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this package as my first entry into surround sound. When I got it home and hooked it up to my receiver and then watched a video I was very happy. Now that I have a DVD player I am even happier.

I must admit I ordered a new center channel from the 135 series (as a part from JBL Canada) which is bigger and gives you a bit more from the center channel. What a good idea that was, it sounds even better now!

Everything is very crisp and clean, however the sub could use a bit more punch.(looking into better cables as suggested from your users). But overall I am very happy!

I also use this speaker system for my music listening. It sounds great, and I have had no trouble pushing it to compete with my neighbors.

I totaly love this package, not only it's performance but it's looks too.

I would recommend this package to anyone!

Purchased At:   Visions Electronics

Submitted by Justin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I really love JBL speakers, but I'm dissapointed with these. At first I was amazed by how much sound they were able to produce, but after listening to them for a while I am not so happy. I noticed that the speakers are very weak around the 14,000Hz range. Most of my friends couldn't care, but it is a continual annoyance to me when my favorate music doesn't sound quite right. If you are picky about the quality of your music, don't buy these.

Purchased At:   Best Buy (open box special)

Submitted by NDFan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased the SCS135 (newer version of 125) a few eeks ago. I have them mated w/ a Yamaha HTR-5250 receiver. I must say I am very pleased w/ the sound. Believe it or not, one of the more knowledgable salesmen at Best Buy recommended this set. The sound is more than adequate for my condo. The box contains EVRYTHING needed (save for the subwoofer cable - you can get the Monster Interlink 201 for about $40 - sounds great) to rock and roll. The mounting brackets even allow you to swivel the speakers. I wholeheartedly recommned this set to anyone interested in quality home theater sound. CDs also sound great. One caveat - if you are looking for speakers to turn your home into Club MTV, these are not the speakers for you. However, if you are looking for a solid, complete set of speakers from an industry leader for everyday use, you will probably thoroughly enjoy these speakers. By the way, most places sell them for $400, but www.jandr.com has them for $300 (and, yes, they are an authorized dealer so the warranty is no void).

Purchased At:   www.jandr.com