JBL HT1S THX Home Theater Speaker Systems

3.93/5 (14 Reviews)

THX Certified Powered Subwoofer

Submitted by edgar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I paid 49 sinapore dollars each for the pair. S$30 dollars for shipping to my house. To say that the HT1S is a beefy sub is an understatement. My active AV marantz preamp/dp870, provides commanding control and ultra deep base. I use tnt triple T braided cat 6 speakerwire to all my speakers. In Stereo, the pre has sub db level controls to adjust how much sub you want to FEEL. I am runnning Mains on the Yamaha. The subs are connected to the RL of the Rotels. Center and Surrounds complete the other 3 channels on the Rotel. I listen to DVD Audio using my Pioneer DVK-88. For this I turn on the dp870 which puts the AV600 into bypass. DVDA is superb as it puts you in the middle of the performance. For HT, Movies like The Hulk, Bourne Identity, Armagedon, Final Fantasy and any other action movie is jaw droppingly amazing. Better than any movie theater I've ever heard - I jump to my feet sometimes in shock and alarm. I love my music so now I am thinking about upgrading the dvd player to an universal pioneer that plays both sacd and dvda but I will also have to upgrade the preamp as well because the 5.1/7.1 channel outputs are from the universal player. Will have to get a preamp with with firewire input to cut down on the rca cables. Probably going for used 1066/1098. As long as I have the space, never going to need to upgrade the ht1s. This sub rattles my windows and cabinet doors when I crank up the volume!

Purchased At:   mall featuring harmo

Submitted by Desmond a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
This monster sub could be used in single module just like any other sub-woofer. The selection of sub-base-xover and power amp used play an important role for single module configuration. The rolloff frequency got to be set to 80Hz and below. If not, mid-bass freq. shall prevail and make box directional. The original design of this THX system is to couple two small front speakers with freqency subwoofer freq. roll-off at about 150-200Hz,without the use of dedicated power amp. In this setup, 2 units HT1S got to be used.

Purchased At:   -

Submitted by Theodorus Oentoro a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am just writing this to "correct" these guys who wrote that the subwoofer has to be used in pair.
If they have a manual, they can read that the subwoofer can be configured in three ways:
1. as a single subwoofer driven by one amplifier output.
2. as two subwoofer driven by a single amplifier output(amplifier output to the JBL HT1S input, and the JBL HT1S output to any subwoofer).
3. two subwoofer driven by two amplifier outputs (two separate mono amplifiers or single stereo amplifier).

Submitted by Vincent MEFFLET a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have just bought this Sub as the last part of my THX equipment.

THX second hand equipments do not interest people any more: Too big, too black..

They are wrong because this one does not perform as a basic "all in box" stuff: It is a dream sub,harmonics are exceptional, low notes are precise and powerful.

It is excellent with movies and superb with music.

Listen the album from JL Hooker (Boom boom) let play it on this big sub (with musical triangle standmounters) and fly...

Purchased At:   Home tech

Submitted by corey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
i have only heard this sub in a store and it sounded awesom..i am only reviewing this sub becasue of all the dumb people who reviewed this thing bad because they are idiots. dont hurt speaker ratings just because you dont read between the lines.

Purchased At:   nowhere