Boston Acoustics Digital Theater 6000 Home Theater Speaker Systems

3.89/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

The Boston Acoustics Digital Theater 6000 is a complete, powered 5.1-channel speaker package with two analog and two digital audio inputs, and a center speaker that houses a Dolby Digital decoder. Moreover, because the power section uses separate amplifiers for each speaker, all you'll need is a DVD player and a TV to start rocking full home theater sound.The center speaker also features an infrared port for remote control reception, and its LCD (liquid crystal display) indicates system volume level. The powered subwoofer delivers its kick via a 6.5-inch driver in a dual-chamber bandpass enclosure. The four satellite speakers can easily be mounted on the wall. Or, if you prefer, their rubber feet allow for stand mounting without marring the surfaces. In addition, all of the speaker cabinets are magnetically shielded to prevent discoloration of your TV screen.There are very few packaged home theater audio systems that are as well-integrated as the Digital Theater 6000, especially at such a low price.

Submitted by Don Gillies a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2016

Bottom Line:
We have owned a DT-6000 system since 1999. It was the best-sounding $600 system at the time that we purchased it, the only non-toy system for sale at that price, at that time. We are still using it 15 years later because it's so versatile.

There are a few problems, however. (a) The remote control doesn't light up for every key you press, and the center channel is very directional so it's sometimes hard to control it, (b) The microprocessor crashes every so often, requiring a full power cycle, (c) The system needs just 1 more input. It has exactly 4 inputs and we use them all, including the optical input, but I wish it had 5, (d) The subwoofer was a toy-magnet, when it started to sound bad I eventually found 12 small toys that had been placed down inside of the subwoofer, (e) The remote is very rare and no mainstream remote makers sell a remote that knows the keycodes. So if you lose your remote or have one without a remote, there is a guy on ebay who sells a learning remote programmed for this theater. I have also programmed a learning remote so that I have two of them. And (f) I had to re-foam the subwoofer because the foams disintegrated (as they do on almost all Boston Acoustics speakers.)

Now the good things, the speakers are very bright and exceptionally clear which is a BA trademark. The drivers are heavy on the side channels. The device is about 85% of a Bose system for about 35% of the price. the device has digital volume control (-9 ... +9) for all 5 channels. It lacks a bass/treble control but you can just crank up the subwoofer to get more bass. It plays U2's "With or Without You" (which is something of a Bass benchmark) awfully well for a $600 system, almost as well as my 2-way Boston Acoustics A70 speakers. It has good channel separation and I trot out the speaker stands whenever we play an exceptional surround-sound movie like star wars or alien 2. I have purchased THREE high-end integrated (Panasonic, generally) home theaters (one for myself, a different system for my mom, a different system for my sister) and I'd pick this one for myself if I had to purchase one again.

Submitted by Dave Poulton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2014

Bottom Line:
The 6000 system produced clear sound and high volume without distortion. Just when I was resting in a good reliable system that was fault free - wham!

Now when the power is turned on all the lights on the control panel of the centre speaker light up and nothing works, not even the remote. Disconnecting the power has no effect on the fault.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how was it fixed?

I cannot even find any information on the inet regarding troubler shooting the problem. Frustrating beyond measure.

Submitted by felipe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
can somebody tell me where can i find a remote control for a boston acoustics digital theater 6000 .

Submitted by ALTIERI a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
Hello,
I have a Boston Acoustics Digital Theater 6000 Home Theater, bought in France in 1999.
The device is perfectly working and satisfies me so far.

Problem : the loudspeaker of the subwoofer is now torn, and sizzles !

Can someone give me the specifications of the speaker (all dimensions, impedance etc) to buy a new one, instead of changing all the HC ?

Thanks a lot if someone has it !

Submitted by ARTURO CERVANTESa a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have a Control Remote LOGITECH model Harmony 550 and works perfect it´s possible transfer all the functions, you need couple of hours.
Somebody tell me if its possible to connect optical cable to de bluray disc ??
I have BAT 6000 in small room and works really very good