Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II Home Theater Speaker Systems

3.1/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $849.00

• Direct/Reflecting speaker technology re-creates a natural blend of reflected and direct sound. You hear exceptionally open, spacious stereo sound and surround sound throughout the listening area.
  • Virtually Invisible speaker design gives you big, high-performance home theater sound without dominating your decor.
  • Acoustimass speaker technology fills your room with sound, not equipment.
  • Bose Adaptive Energy Summing speaker design reproduces bass for the front and surround channels from a single enclosure.
  • All cables are pre-connected on the Acoustimass module. Wires are clearly marked to help make setup simple and quick.
  • Cables are banded and module connections are covered to help reduce clutter.
  • Cube speakers are magnetically shielded to prevent interference with the TV picture.
  • Automatic protection circuitry helps keep the system from being damaged at excessive volumes.
  • Driver complement: two 2 1/2" (6.4 cm) wide-range drivers in each cube speaker array, two 5 1/4" (13.3 cm) woofers in module for the front channels, one 5 1/4" (13.3 cm) dual voice coil woofer in module for the surround channels.
  • Compatible with surround sound receivers, including the new digital formats, rated from 10 to 200 watts per front channel and 10 to 100 watts per rear channel/rated 4 to 8 ohms.
  • Dimensions: Cube Speaker Arrays: 6 1/4"H x 3"W x 4"D Bass Module: 14"H x 22"W x 7 1/2"D.
  • Weight in carton: 50.5 lbs.
  • Five-year transferable limited warranty stays with the speakers even if ownership passes to another person.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Davo-the-devo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
    I bought this system having heard bose before but never hearing this particular system. I finally got it hooked up after having for over a year, and it sounded terrible. No bass, distorted highs. I felt really sad that I'd waited this long for nothing. I bought it second hand so I thought I'd ripped off. Anyway I played with the Kenwood Amp settings my media centre settings, and checked the polarity. I used a special audio setup dvd to help as guess what..........I GOT IT. The system came alive. I played a few songs and tears almost rolled down my face. IT WAS GREAT! The sounds I got were crystal clear. Amazing deep bass and it filled the room with solid, life like sounding sound. I will never change to another system after hearing this go. I know why people don't like bose and it's because most of them have bad taste in music. The music that plays best on Bose systems are dance, hip hop, easy listening type music. Not thrash, grunge, hard metal type stuff. Anyway it plays the music I like really well. The settings that worked for me were set on DISCO equalizer, DSP, all channels set on large, cinema on, and make sure your polarity is consistent (prob most important)

Submitted by fmckadoo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
    I just helped a friend set up this system in his finished basement. Did all the right things with wiring (low quality wiring provided with the set) and mounting and I must admit the system is almost invisible. Turned on the power and let the music flow......I thought the damn thing was broken or not properly connected, slurred upper base, no low base, whiny mids, low octave highs and no real sense of music. To my amazement he declared "Wow, this is awesome!". He continued to play CD after CD, I really wanted to stop the music and check the system but he loved it and I couldn't bring myself to point out what I thought might be a problem, i.e. it really sucked and was hurting my ears.
    I do think this particular system we set up does have a problem, not sure what it is.
    Oh, sorry, I forgot, its Bose.

Purchased At:   just helped setup

Submitted by greg1969 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
    If you are considering a Bose system (am-10 series II) please read the following and have some consideration before you spend your hard earned money!

I recently owned a Bose system (am-10 series II) connected with the Harmon Kardon (avr-225) receiver. The sound was good but slacked on base tremendously. I really did not know all about how the Bose systems worked just yet, all I knew is that the Bose System was the talk of the town and was definitely the system to buy, because of some top rated reviews. I suppose that my expectations of receiving what you pay for was way to high. In my opinion as for now, from what I have learned, the Bose system was probably designed for stereos that lack in quality due to the fact that it does not have a sub input or, any power pushing the sub unit. This Bose system does not receive a low signal, it only allows your receiver to push out the mid and high ranges in to your speakers. I added a Definitive Tech 300w sub ($350.00). The system was improved, but still needed way more help. I was originally looking for more of a rich deep sound that would fill the room with clarity, great highs, mids, and base that would pull you in no matter what you are listing to. For all the money I invested in this system (saving for years to get the system of my dreams) I felt deprived of my investment. I remembered that I did purchase a 10-year warranty with Circuit City for the Bose system. I returned the base unit several years later and commented on the return note: “lacking original performance”. Once I returned the system, I received a phone call from Circuit City stating that my Bose System was damaged in shipment and I was given the choice of either having a new one delivered or a store credit. I could not have been more happier! The decision was a no brainier! Of course I received the credit for the original price ($999.99) and purchased the Polk RM6900. The reviews on this system are at a minimum as of now because it is a new model that Circuit City is carrying. It was on sale for $899.00 reg. Price $1199.00 (in Canada it goes easy for $1500.00) This system is amazing. I highly recommend this Polk system and give it a 5 out of 5. It fills the room with clarity and such perfection of quality sound. My Harmon Kardon (avr-225) receiver came to life! The only review I have read on this particular system stated that the Polk RM6900’s make the Bose system sound like an A.M Radio! I am now hearing the reality of that review. A couple of my friends were over the other night…. They were highly impressed.
    The Polk surround sound systems do come with speaker mounts vs Bose, mounting brackets not included (Bose wall/ceiling mounts = $29.99 each!) My opinion is, If you are going to purchase the Bose system, I would compare that to trying to save gas by driving a MAC truck to work everyday! What a waste! Bose Blowes! Do your self a favor, be good to yourself an buy Polk! And please don’t cheat yourself on wiring… use 12 gauge speaker wiring with Monster cabling. The difference will make it or break it. Using the recommended wires and cable here will enhance the quality and performance of your system by far.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Derek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
    I have been using the Acoutimass 10 II system for over four years now. I am very happy. I am driving this set with a Pioneer 100wx5 Dolby reciever. People complain that these speaker sound horrible and I find most of these people have their reciever set incorrectly. Turn the individual speaker volume down to zero or below .. and use main volume control to increase sound. This is the reolution to the 'passive' bass moduleproblem .. my entire house shakes and the sound is clear as a bell.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by abetong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
    I have a friend who has a BOSE system setup in his house. I had my test CDs over and auditioned the system yesterday (9/6/2003) hoping to hear some improvements. Man, it sounds aweful! One word to describe it is 'abomination'! I know BOSE is bad since early 90s when I was in Eng. Graduate School when internet was in its infancy. Red hot debate was all over the net back then.

simply search key words "BOSE Speakers" on www.google.com and you will get into the truth (and nonsense) about Bose!

Enough said.

Purchased At:   0

Configuration for a Bose Acoustimass 10 series II with a Harman/kardonAvr135 receiver

I have a dilemna with configuring these two systems together in order to get great performance. I have my dvd player and cable box connected to the avr135 by red/white/yellow cables(analog?) and with s-video cables. The five bose speakers are connected through the big bose module(is this the sub-woo ... Read More »