Acoustic Research HC2 Home Theater Speaker Systems

4.8/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $899.00

Home Theater speaker package

Submitted by lupicon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been very pleased with this system, particularily when you consider it sounds as good if not better than several other more expensive speakers. The bass is fantastic--trust me--you will not be craving more bass after hearing this sub. The speakers are well built, (they are even weatherproof), although they are definately not the prettiest.
Thanks to all the reviewers who made the task of purchasing a little easier.

I was originally running a Yamaha RX420 and then upgraded to a RX800--this made a very noticable difference and the HC2 really shone.

Submitted by Ken Wells a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been very satisfied with the sound quality from these speakers. I've had friends come over and listen to them that have much bigger and more expensive speakers and they are really impressed with the sound from mine. They sound great whether playing CD's, listening to the tuner or watching DVD's. The Sub is more than ample for movies and music. If you are trying to build a home theater with a low budget, as I was, buy these; you won't be disappointed!

Set up with: Onkyo DS575x Surround Receiver
Onkyo DVS535 DVD
Sony CDPCX3335 300-CD Disc Player

Purchased At:   Consumer Direct

Submitted by Jason Wade a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Holy Mother of Audio! I bought the AR HC2 system after listenning to many other disapointing systems, including Bose, Yamaha, Kenwood and JBL (in my price range).
Obviously I was concerned about buying something that I had not heard personally. However, there was not a dealer anywhere in my local area. So, to all the previous reviewers,... THANK YOU! I took the chance and WOW am I pleased.
Actually, I could not be more pleased with the system! It absolutely Rocks! So clear that my Dog has been trying to find out who the heck is in my house singing! The poor dog just doesn't know what to think. Honestly, its like I have had James Taylor and Eric Clapton stop by for a Jam Session... No, Really!
No more movie tickets for me! I have my own cinema right at home! Thanks to all of the previous reviewers!

Anyone who is looking for a great sound at a great price for a small to medium size room (15' x 25'),...THIS IS THE ONE!

My System:
Acoustic Research HC2 Surround System (Edge Satellites and the PS2112(?)Sub.
Sony STR DE 875 with Optical Digital, S-Link and Multi Channel Audio Connectors)
Sony DVPNS5000V DVD (SACD Compatible)

P.S. The Pod Race, from the Phantom Menace, is a great test for your DTS listenning.

Purchased At:   800.com

Submitted by Ram a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful system. I just got this system after reading the reviews. I really thank these guys who had put up these reviews. It sound fantastic and it suited my budget. Intially when I ordered with jandr they did not have the center channnel speakers so I asked them to ship without one so that I can buy a much powerful center channnel. I bought Acoustic Research SC2 in consumer-direct.com and the system blends so well with it. I was about to buy Bose, but guys please do not make that mistake.

My setup.
4 AR Edge Speakers (Front and Surround)
SR SC2 Center Channel
AR PS112 Sub (Which is more than enough)
Onkyo TXDS595.
Apex DVD Player.

Initially I did not setup my DVD for Digital audio but once I connected and played the movie in DTS mode, it was wonderfull.

Please buy AR Speaker cables available in BestBuy and Monster Cable for Subwoofer connections. Please do not buy any other cheap cables especially for the Subs.

Both COsumer direct and J&R are very good stores they take care of the customers very well. Since they delayed the shipment they gave me a very good discount and 2 day shipping.

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by Josh Barrie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
All I can say is "OH MY GOD!!!" What an AMAZING deal these things are! I am a freshman in college, and that means I love my audio systems (I have a car system too). So I had limited cash for a good system. After about 3 weeks of research and listening and surfing, I put together a complete surround sound system (these speakers, a Yamaha receiver, JVC S-VHS VCR, Pioneer DVD player, cabling - mainly monster, 27" TV, mounting things for the DVD player and VCR, etc...) for a grand total of ONLY about $1700!!!! YES ALL OF THAT FOR $1700!!! And man, is this setup AMAZING! these speakers produce cleaner sounds and more bass than anything I have ever heard (INCLUDING my friend's dad's Boss Lifestyle 35 setup)!!! I can't say enough about this system besides BUY IT!!! If you want more info on my 'cheap' yet amazing system, e-mail me and I will be happy to reply. -JB

Purchased At:   J&R