Yamaha YSTMS50 Floorstanding Speakers

4.83/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $130.00

Powered Multimedia Speaker System - 80W Total power; 20W per satellite (1kHz, 4 ohms) + 40W for subwoofer (100Hz, 5 ohms) - 6-1/2" Multi-Range Spruce Cone Driver (subwoofer), 3" Spruce Cone Midrange Driver And 3/4" Balanced-Dome Tweeter Satellites

Submitted by Xenon4U2C a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had 2 sets of these beautiful speakers now for over 8 years, and I'm not gentle with them either.
I like listening to my music or playing online games with the volume up loud. Now, all I can say is that these speakers sound the same as when I bought them. They have amazing durability and equally as amazing sound. When you look at the specifications and it says 20watts per satellite and 40watts for the woofer, don't be fooled, it sound MUCH, MUCH louder ! not only that but the responsiveness and the depth and range of these speakers are nothing but brilliant. Yamaha did an awesome job on these speakers. Even at low volume the sub does a great job at reproducing excellent bass which you can adjust with a separate volume knob. The transition between the sub and satellite speakers is flawless and this set really does cover the full range. 32Hz--20kHz with a Crossover frequency of 200Hz for woofer and 12kHz for satellites. The speakers consist of One 6 1/2 inch Multi-range spruce cone driver (woofer) housed in Yamaha's awesome "YST" enclosure ( It's the best woofer I've ever heard at this size and price range, hands down ) Two 3 inch Spruce cone mid--range drivers and two 3/4 inch balanced--dome tweeter 1 pair in each of the satellites. The stats are as follows, 80W Total power 20W per satellite (1kHz, 4 ohms) + 40W for woofer (100Hz, 5 ohms), but as I stated earlier, this set sounds far superior than what the stats would make you believe. The set is self powered and has ample cord lengths to separate the satellites on a large desk and the woofer on the floor. The main satellite has the power button, the volume control and a mini stereo headphone jack. If you are ever lucky enough to find a new set of these ... BUY THEM IMMEDIATELY !! you won't be disappointed. As for the two sets I have, they still sound amazing and I use them everyday. Hope this review helped you.

Submitted by musicfix59 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have a fairly expensive home stereo, sitting in the entertainment center, collecting dust and taking up space. Ever since I bought these speakers- one set for the front, one for the back- my computer has been all I need. Mp3's, CD's, Movies, Radio... These speakers, coupled with a high-end audio card, deliver a very consistent sound, from deep, clean bass to crisp, clear highs. Shop around- this will be the best $100 addition you could put on your computer!

Purchased At:   A store I don't care

Submitted by jeputar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
If you can find any computer or electronics store that can demo speaker setups properly you may end up purchasing these over others.I was not lucky enough to find 1 store.I did howeveruse my ears as best I could and decided to fork over a bit extra money.I made the right choice.as far as PC systems go,this appears to be the winner in most musical.I use the system to download great unsigned artist off the internet.If the recording sounds real good I burn to CD and play on my main speaker system in the living room.The transparency of the Paradigms is way above this system,however for a small multimedia system,this goes way beyond what you will normally find.This system will please anyone who wants a more honest representation in the critical midrange portion of music.I could even go a bit further in recomending this system to someone who wants a main inexpensive system for a main room and does not want to spend a lot.A portable CD player and this system could make great sound,even in larger open areas.GREAT BASS.

Submitted by Nadav a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
The best PC speakers, No doubt.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by Alan Jones a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
Get a pair, you don't know what you missing!!

Purchased At:   online in UK from Microdirect