Yamaha ns-70 Floorstanding Speakers

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

front speakers

Submitted by TeZ a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2013

Bottom Line:
Very nice speakers, can take quite a big hit without distortion being evident.
I have them coupled to a Yamaha -RX-V550 AV Receiver with NS-56 Surrounds and 2 x Yamaha YST-SW800 Subs. All up power output is around 2500watts. Plenty good enough for my Home Cinema setup and the occasional spin of vinyl on my Yamaha PX-2 Linear Tracking turntable fed to a Pro-Ject Tube Box SE II.

Everyone that hears this system cannot believe the power and clarity.

Recommended speakers that can still be obtained occasionally at a very reasonable price.

Submitted by Jezzalinko a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have just pulled out of storage my NS 70's and they sound great, just as good as the day I bought them. I would suggest if anyone wanted a high powered speaker for 2 channel music these are the ones.
I run a RXV 750 ( 7.1 ) receiver and a RXV 490 as a pre amp which is coupled to my NS 70 as raw fronts, NS 45 as mids, NS 125 for home theater rears and the NSC 515 for my front center allowing awesome clarity and response for home theater use.
Hifi war anyone !

Submitted by VegasSound a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the hard to find vintage NS-70T Floor Standing speakers. These are a 10" three way design believed to be late 70's or early 80's vintage.

These speakers are very rare, and so I decided to put the review where it doesn't really fit as anyone looking for info on these will likely stumble across this.

The NS-70T is by all appearances a consumer oriented sibling to the peerless NS1000T studio monitors. While I won't claim these to be the equal of the NS1000 family, they do stand on their own quite well.

Configuration - 10" paper cone woofer with cloth surround in about a 2cubft sealed box. Aprox. 4" metal dome midrange and a 1" metal dome HF driver. The material of these drivers is unknown. I believe after taking one of the midranges apart (these are field servicable drivers!) that they are of titanium (i.e. the T designation). The HF driver is either titanium or beryllium, I can't tell. These are fed by a robust passive crossover network. There appears to be no driver protection circuitry. There are L pads for both mids and highs on each front speaker panel. They allow about -12 db of pad each.

Performance - specs are unavailable. These have been driven by up to 85watts continuous with no problem beyond some mild LF distortion and some MF harshness with the pads at zero. They were likely rated at around 100watts RMS. Frequency response should be around a solid 40hz to 20khz. HF extension my be higher than that.

Listening - These are amazing speakers. When I first got them I was unsure, but after cleaning them up and auditioning a wide variety of music they started to really impress. I now have hundreds of hours of listening on this pair with a variety of electronics in various rooms, and they are among my favorite speakers that I've ever owned.

First is the high end. These have an open, almost bright response above 4k that really opens up modern source material. They remind me a lot of the newer ceramic-on-metal high frequency drivers as found in the Infinity Primus family. I typically keep the pads at around -2db to smooth out the high end just a bit.

Midrange response defines these 3-way speakers though. With metal dome midrange drivers you might expect harshness, at indeed at very high levels (100db plus, as in -loud-) they can be harsh. But at normal listening levels they are surgically precise and revealing. Vocals, especially female, and strings really, really sound nice on these speakers. Even my best 2-way studio monitors struggle to match the mid-band of these 25 year old speakers.

Low end response is where these show the most compromise. They are very placement sensitive, needing to be as far as possible from rear boundaries, and odd trait for sealed boxes. Low end response is then relatively smooth and extends easily down to below 50hz. At high levels these drivers can to distort a bit, but we have to consider the age of these fiber coned drivers in a sealed box configuration. In all the bass behavior is pleasing but never quite matches the precision of the mids and highs.

Conclusion - These remain one of my favorite loudspeaker finds of all time. The precision of the metal MF and HF section, and the presence of big-box speakers never fails to please my ears. These 10", 3-way floor standers are a garage sale treasure should you find a pair in servicable condition. Be warned though that parts are near impossible to find. Pay special attention to the condition of the metal domes and paper woofer cones. You would be hard pressed to find a modern loudspeaker of comparable performance today for less then $500-600 a pair.

Purchased At:   Thrift Store

Submitted by Jason Waters a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
Coupled to my Denon AVR-1801 these just sound awesome. I can certainly recommend them.

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I also have 2 sets of these speakers set up to my RX-V2095 Yamaha Amp. The sound you get from having front and rear speakers of this calibre is amazing. I am extremely happy with my purchase as I know I will have both the speakers and amp for a long time to come and they will provide the best sound quality as always.