Yamaha NS-1000 Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (101 Reviews) MSRP : $1900.00

Submitted by Rob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2016

Bottom Line:
I bought my Yammie 1000M's in 1979 for what would be to many, an obscene amount of money.

Money well spent!

They are now almost 40 years old but they sound as good as they did when I first bought them.

The sound is as authentic as you can get. I can go to my local pub and listen to my favourite jazz band on a Saturday afternoon. I can then hear the same performance at home.

Mind you, I also build triode amplifiers with no feedback that leave other amps for dead!

Submitted by Robert Festinger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2016

Bottom Line:
Overrated, bland sounding speaker. No character to them. Non musical. Nothing sounded lifelike. GREAT imaging though.

Submitted by Roald Tønnesen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2015

Bottom Line:
Love these speakers c,")

TØNNES
NORWAY

Submitted by Dragos Andreescu a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2015

Bottom Line:
Purchased an old pair, then had it upgraded by an experienced ingineer. Everything had to go- wires, caps, voice coils. The upgrade cost double the value but what the heck. Then upgraded the power amp to the classic Beard P100 Signature. Initially I was not impressed, having all the components inside changed. It sounded ok, very smooth, very open. Everything was in its place, but the magic was missing.
Then, as it wore on, I could notice image depth dramatically change, as if a somewhat misterious engine started to kick in. During one track, I could hear the piano literally 10ft to the left. I had to look, you know. I wasn't expecting anything there, but still, I had to look.
Changed some interconnects, still in search for more. Suddently, I realized I was in front of a giant pair of headphones. The sound lets you peer into it just like with the headphones.
I am still early on, the "new" Yamaha NS-1000m are still not broken in yet so I expect more changes for the better. But I will gladly take them as they sound today. The highs are so realistic, for the first time I felt I was truly"there".

Submitted by Dale a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have been purchasing reasonably priced, but quality speakers for a number of years. I have owned NHT, Paradigm, Vienna Acoustics, Volti Audio. I simply was bored, most of the time, by how 'they' effected my senses. I love music, and I love having a system that I truly enjoy, and so, something had to change.

I had sold a SACD player on Audiogon, a few years ago, and the person that purchased it told me that he had Yamaha NS-1000M's, and would never part with them. I had researched them at that time, but soon forgot about it, chocking it up to another of the zillion of the same-old-same-old speakers out there.

In my dreary boredom with my speaker situation, I realized how I really love the clarity of my laptop computers crystal-clear clarity, and wonderful stereo image. Mind you, these are little 2 inch speakers that came built-into the laptop. In my desperation to re-ignite my passion for my audio system, my memory of the descriptions of the NS-1000s came to mind. People had described just what I was experiencing with my Laptop speakers, but in the Yamaha's.

I took a chance, looked on Ebay, and there sat a pair for $900, with 2 hours left to bid, and no one had even bid. I knew that this was a good price for the 1000M's, so I took a chance and purchased them. This would be the least I had spent on higher end audio speakers, so what the hell, I was desperate for the chance to be exhilarated by my system again.

The Yamaha NS-1000M's are simply perfection for my ears. I am not being a Fan-boy, not even a tiny bit. These speakers are what I had always thought a high-end speaker should sound like. I realize that each type of speaker-- horns, electrostats, and the typical driver type--has it's compromises, but the 1000M's did not leave me wanting in the least, and they only cost $900, and they did not have any issues....cosmetic, electrical, et. al..

I have only replaced a woofer--purchased on Ebay, but that ain't bad at all for a 40 year old speaker. The clarity is, and not just by my estimation, something that is not really offered in today's market. I should add that I am upgrading the capacitors, simply due to age, not necessity.

Audio is such an expensive, hit-and-miss hobby. I simply want to encourage someone reading this, to not spend a zillion dollars on today's speakers, if ultimate clarity is your number #1 desire from your next loudspeaker. It was produced back in the 1970s, and mine were made about the time I was a senior in High School. I am very grateful that every time I listen to music, I feel like I am hearing 'ear-candy'. If you have found the sound you truly love, then you know what I mean. Happy Listening. :)