Yamaha NS-1000 Floorstanding Speakers

4.76/5 (94 Reviews) MSRP : $1900.00

Submitted by B.A. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2015

Bottom Line:
These were stored in finished basement (dry, 55 deg) for 15 yrs. Too heavy to get upstairs. Finally got them & the B2 installed & working. Wonderful.

Android, the Note 3, & Pandora were not even a dream when these we we built.

Better than the best headphones...

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought these back when I worked at a stereo shop, possibly the same one as Elliot N. I have tried to replace them with something smaller for years but can't find the nerve to do it. And, I haven't found anything that sounds as sweet. I built stands with wheels because the ebony cabinets are just too heavy. Without a doubt the best speaker ever made.

Submitted by Char Lee S a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2015

Bottom Line:
They were listed for $25 on Las Vegas craigslist, then the price was changed to $50. I offered to double the asking price. Sure enough the seller called me after one day to pick them up. hehehe

The cabinets need hospitalization, but can be remedied with minor patching and spray paint. I cleaned them up and fixed the dented metal grills. I plugged then in my receiver... o boy, what a jewels I found! I hit the jackpot! All speaker drivers are intact. From the high prequency to low, they sound crystal clear and solid! No separate subwoofer needed. I listen and enjoyed twicking the high and midrange adjustments for an hour. After another additional hour listening to them, I would say these speakers are classic musical equipments, still surviving and giving great pleasure after 35 years of their existance. Highly recommend.

Submitted by ElliottN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
Originally back in 1977 I worked in an audio shop and sold these wonderful speakers. It was obvious that the cleaner the electronics, the better they sounded. So, I had bought a pair at the discount that audio companies gave (50%). The speakers traveled with me from Pennsylvania to Arizona and then to San Diego. Unfortunately, they were stolen in a burglary. So, I then lived with a couple of B &W bookshelf speakers for a while. They were good, but I missed the accuracy and clarity of the NS 1000s. Fast forward to the mid 90's and I found a pair here in San Diego in great shape. Couple that with my Sunfire Amp and Lexicon Processor and sure enough they were wonderful. Even my 2 kids and wife knew they were great to listen to.
So, what did I do? Found another pair on Ebay, this time in ebony. Unfortunately, they weren't packaged too well and the cabinets a little munched, but I stacked them with the tweeters together (remember stacked Advents?) and wow...they play loud and clear, with the great imaging they are known. So, if you get a chance to have four in front of you, that will be the best but and a great value...

Submitted by Arche-r a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
I heard them shortly for the first time about 30 years ago. It was confusing experience - never heard loudspeakers of such clarity. I was sure it must have been at the expense of power and bandwidth which were important to me then. But since that day the NS-1000 were always on my mind as speakers I should return to.

Two years ago I found a pair of the home version in ebony veneer. By no means they were cheap but the pleasure they provide to eyes and ears is worth every penny.

During late night sessions, in a deep black silence, the NS-1000 combined with Sony TA-E/N86B, Technics SP-10/II and AT-OC9/III disappear leaving a listener with a big tridimensional scene made of crystal sounds filling entire space. With classical music, it's like floating in front of the TajMahal or gothic cathedral built of vibrant air.

The Magical Mystery Tour.