Wilson Audio WITT Floorstanding Speakers

4.3/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $11890.00

Submitted by Anupam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Bottom Line:
I had been searching for a replacement for my Infinity 4.5s for a long time and thought that only a full range modern electrostatic (alright then, Soundlab A-3, Pristines are what I mean) would be able to do it. I listened to Quads, Magnepans, Apogees, Acoustats, as well as conventional cone driver speakers. Nothing seemed to hit my particular sweet spot. I would try to listen with an open mind, and listen to several different types of music, yet hours later all I would have is doubt about my ears and brain. Then I saw that a scratched up pair of WITTs was being sold by somebody only 40 miles away. I went to audition and it took about an hour to know that these were it. Paradoxically, it was their performance at very low volumes (while we chatted with the owners) that convinced me of their extraordinary character - I had no trouble following the music which came through with almost all the richness and texture intact. I know of no other speaker that could do that, I would lose interest very soon at low volumes. And we were lsitening to a Sony surround-sound receiver in another room with Home Depot type cables!

So I got them, and hooked up a 35 W EL-34 integrated amp - as expected the mdirange and treble were full and lush, but the bass was anemic and loose. Switching to a Counterpoint SA-20 reduced the body but tightened the bass. The speakers are capable of very high volume and energizing the room so placement is very important. They are among the fastest speakers I have ever heard and compete with the electrostatics in that department. The sound is physically palpable, and 3-dimensional. They are very neutral to my ears, neither lean nor overtly warm, but that they may just be the rest of my system.

I have no regret whatsover about not being able to listen to the sweet EMITs and EMIMs in my old Infinitys - those are superb drivers. The WITTs sound as delicate and transparent, but are far better integrated top to bottom.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by sprbggr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Witt2. The Witt2 was always standing in the shadow of the Wilson Puppy loudspeakers. To my opinion this is not correct. The Witt2 has something special in the sound. I has an authority in the bass that the Puppy does not have. Also the Witt2 is less bright than the Puppy. I have the Wilson Witt2 now standing next to the Watt/Puppy 6 and both speakers have their strength.

Witt2: Very good natural bass. Very smooth sound which is a little darker than the Puppy. Natural musical sound.

Watt/Puppy: Speed and dynamics very good. Also more clear than the Witt but brighter. More transparent than the Witt2.

Look wise of course the Puppy looks nicer. But the Witt also looks much better than for example the B&W Nautilus (my wife hates the Nautilus for looks).

Well then the sound. I played Diana Krall on the Witt2. Her voice was very clear on the Witt2. Very smooth music. Piano very good.

Then switch to Patricia Barber (Cafe Blue, my favorite album). Here the Witt2 is also very very good but not as fast as the Puppy.

Playing Phil Collins on the Witt gives also a fantastic natural sound.

The male voices were slightly better on the Witt2 but female voices were slightly better on the WP6.

Finally it all comes down to preference. I could live with both speakers and both of them are fantastic sounding. No other speaker except a Wilson even comes close to the performance of the Witt2.

If you now consider the price at the used market (around 5500 euro in Europe now) the speaker is unbeatable. No other speaker in this price region even comes close to the performance of the Witt2.

Of course in high-end audio it all comes down to preference as well but to my opinion the Witt2 is one of the best sounding loudspeakers ever made. If I had to upgrade it would be the Maxx or a Cub2 with Watch Dog (then you have the bass and the transparency). Both the Cub2/Watch Dog and Maxx perform better then a Puppy6/7 but at a high price.

Anybody wh wants a truly high-end speaker for a resonable price should consider the Witt2. At the current used price there is not better speaker.

Peter

Purchased At:   private person

Submitted by Herman Voogd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Wilson Audio WITT is a great loudspeaker that really kicks your but.
I used the Witt’s wit several Amps in many configurations and find that they are playing very well with my older Krell KSA 80B.
But still I was not completely happy with the overall sound, in my opinion a little too much laidback I did a lot of research how the speaker was designed and about the driver-units that are being used in the Witt and Wilsons newer loudspeakers. The midrange is from SEAS and the tweeter from Focal, both units are so could custom made. When I disassembled these driver-units I sow that the modifications made by Wilson are none or only very small adjustments to the original design.
So the next step was to see if newer types of SEAS (H571) and Focal (TC120 TD5) units could being used without chancing the electrical and mechanical construction, after a while and listening to several units I did find these two newer driver-units the best and after switching them with the old mid and highs I was really happy with the overall sound. I compared them one to one with the Watt Puppy 6 and in my opinion they are even better now. There is much more clarity, openness, drive and speed in the mid and upper frequency range.
For owners of old Wilson Witts,s mark I and II it is an simple modification that is costing you about 500 US $, the units are simple to purchase by the official distributor in your country.

Submitted by Paul Williams a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the MKII Witt speakers and having has them for about 3 months now, cannot understand the 1 out of 5 review below as these are the best speakers I have ever heard.

My Friend has a pair of £15000 Genesis V speakers and I much prefer the Witts.

The tonal balance is amazing, everything sounds REAL.

I like Jazz and acoustic music and the first time I heard Eric Bib on these almost had me in tears, he sounded as though he was in the room.

The soundastage is huge and very 3 dimensional.

There is no smearing and the focus is rasor sharp.

I no of no other speaker that offers this amazing resolution without ever sounding bright.

I doubt that I will ever sell these as to be honest what could I replace them with?

Submitted by Dave McDuff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers nearly 2 years now and I absolutely love them. They are the absolute best sounding speakers for the money of any I have auditioned. The bass is tight and punchy, the mid's are clear and also quite extended the high's are accurate and pristine, if a little bright.

I've read the posts below and I too have also had to get the resistors replaced. I must have blew them after the first couple of weeks. I also blew a "woofer" believe it or not, but I believe it was a defect since the replacement has been through much worse punishment and haven't complained at all.

Contrary to what you read in these other reviews, I find these speakers do play EXTREMELY loud and clear without any problems at all. I'm using a Mark Levinson 334 AMP (250 WATT RMS) and I can reach the limits of the AMP before the speaker starts complaining.

The speakers sound great at all volume levels, from quite background music to first-row center stage level at a rock-concert level.

My only complaint is the weight. My god these things will kill you if you have to go up a level or two of stairs. My buddy and I were moving these speakers from my moving van, down the ramp, through the house, down the basement's curved staircase and nearly died after we were done. Get these speakers installed.

Purchased At:   AudioCentre (http://www.audiocentre.com/)