Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy Floorstanding Speakers

4.58/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $12000.00

Submitted by MigsF a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought mine and ended of my routine of change-to-upgrade loudspeakers. I acquired this as a slightly used, but conditionally describes as nothing but eXceLLent(!).

I have owned it since 1997 and respectfully offer as "SuPeR ExCeLLeNt". It is something I have never wanted replaced or upgraded. The Price I acquired it was an amount I would have spent totally over the last 12+ years.

The basic defintion of my QUALITY condition is this. It is a 99.9% quality of precision and accuracy I base and determine by my pleasured experiences of "LIVE" performances/concerts of the audio types I enjoy. It is oh son FANTABULOUS! This is as a result its confirmable used with a Vacuum Tube Amp & Pre-Amp system I have had about just as long.

Please know that my determination, and sources of EXPRESS, is this: Most, if not all, are designed a particular way to perform and definitely focuses of desired performance focuses. My judgement is under performances to be determined, discovered, and maintained, as the reason to acquire.

Personally, as a brief, but deep, express towards this loudspeaker model (Wilson WATT/Puppy) can make me actually... listen to music,... close for a while and reopen my eyes, then...I remember and realize that I'm actually at home. I just put my pen and CDs back on the desk because I'm not at the concert hall!

Submitted by AVIA-Designs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Bottom Line:
Summary:

I don't like referring to myself as an "Audiophile" as I think it's a bit indulgent and self serving but there were only a few choices so I guess I'll go with "Enthusiast." I am though, serious about music, its production and re-production. The best component (speaker, amplifier, phono cartridge, cable etc.) is only as good as it's setup. Setup can include things like speaker placement, interaction between components or even the room itself.

I mention this because I have read many conflicting reviews in these pages and yet understand that any given product is either neutral and free from noticeable artifacts or it somehow changes the musical throughput. And if it does change or distort the signal, it either has to add to / exaggerate it -or- delete / reduce some portion of it. Of these two types of distortion, omission would be preferred over exaggeration to my ears.

Let's get to it . . .

Wilson Audio Specialties has a knack for producing products that are so artifact free that they become somehow holographic in their presentation. Not to imply that they are perfect but that in their respective price ranges they come closer to a live performance than other brands. Even one's whose frequency response or other specifications might be more linear.

I think most "Audiophiles" would agree that they've known of one product or another over the years that had so significantly outperformed others in their class . . . yet if their specs had been the end-all, be-all determining factor of quality, they might never have sold a single unit! Thank God, most understand that the human ear is a much more critical and finely tuned instrument than a MLSSA waterfall graph or oscilloscope.

Strengths:

I purchased a used pair of WATT-Puppy series 3/2 in the early 90's and with them, heard more inner detail, micro dynamics and low level bass extension than I had experienced before or since. I moved twice putting them into three radically different settings, tried different preamps, amplifiers, D/A converters and cables with varying sonic results but always a tall, very wide and deep soundstage. The music was always realistic and enjoyable. In fact, I became accustomed to sitting off axis because I seemed to always be showing off the system to someone, allowing my guest to sit in the sweet spot. And that was the interesting thing; the sweet spot was so wide that I actually could see/hear a slightly different perspective into the soundstage. It was as though I was listening to live music from about 5-6 seats right of center instead of dead on TDC. Every other listening experience that I've ever had (off axis) including friends systems, trade shows and hi fi stores, I've always felt that I needed to move to the center to get an image. Simply not true with the WATT-Puppies!

*I Rated the WATT-Puppies 5 for value compared to others in their class and general price bracket.

*I Rated them a 4 for overall performance strictly due to the fact that they have a couple siblings that are obviously better in many respects and therefore more expensive.

Weaknesses:

None musically but not everyone can afford this level of reproduction

I could go on but I'm going to stop and go listen to some cool jazz instead.

BTW - Just read about some new stuff coming out of New Orleans that sounds really promising! Check 'em out . . . www.threadheadrecords.com - Very cool bunch!

THX, Doc

www.AVIA-Designs.com

Submitted by ryonemoto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is the first Watt/Puppy system that used polymer material for the woofer cabinet and improvement in the bass is noticeable. When I listen to Audiophile recordings such as Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration disk and their DVD audio test record (sampled at 24bit/96kHz) the palpability is high and you're immedietly drawn to its life like sound stage. There are other speakers such as B&W's 801 has more linear frequency response than the Watt/Puppies but for some reason the sensation that a voice or an instrument is "right there in front of you" is more intense with the Wilsons. The Watt section has a characteristic rise in frequency response around 1.5 kHz that adds slight warmth to voice and piano, Frequencies between 2-3 kHz is somewhat foggy and poorly defined (which I heard was corrected on the System 7). High frequency is little too foward and should ask the factory to lower the tweeter level by 1 dB for more realistic sound. But overall these are one of the finest speakers on this planet and you won't be disappointed with their performances.

Price Paid:    $20000.00

Purchased At:   San Francisco Stereo

Submitted by Steve a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Quit simple, the best speaker I've ever heard. I've experimented with different speakers for years, and then I ran across a mint used set of Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 2.1 for $3,500. Since then, I've never looked back. With the right equipment, they sound like no other. I continue to listen to all the new equipment, at all price ranges, and they pale in comparison to the Watt/Puppy's. Not even close. My Wilson's are the only speaker I've ever heard that is truly 3-dimensional. You can pin-point instruments/vocals all over the room - it is truly incredible. The sounds are suspended in space, with much air around them before hearing the other instuments/vocals to the left/right/front/back. In other words, a lot of separation between instrument/vocals. No other speaker I have ever heard, at any price, can do this - A truly 3-dimensional sound stage. I did upgrade the puppy tales (speaker wire connecting the Watts to the Puppys) to a Transparent super. Nice improvement - smoothed out the sound (took the edge off the solid state amp), without losing the precision. I believe the new model Watt/Puppys all use the Transparent wire, but not positive. My buddy has the latest/greatest 7 model. Yes, it is a slight improvement. But, I feel my Wilson's 2.1 can provide 99% of the sound/performance of the latest model. It is hard to improve upon perfection, so that 1% is very hard to come buy, and will cost you - big time. Currently, I am using a high-power Conrad Johnson MF2300 solid state amp, with a tube pre-amp. So far, this has been the best combination for overall performance. I'm sure a high-powered tube amp would sound even better, but solid state is more practical for my use at this time. Someday....

In closing, if you can find a used set (or have the bucks for new pair), you are getting one of the best speakers on the planet.

*** My 5 star value rating was for a used set. I think a new set is still a good value, since nothing in this price range can compare, IMO. But, I would have to rate 2 stars since it's hard to justify 20 grand on speakers. But if you got the money....

Purchased At:   Private owner - used

Submitted by Tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I recently listened to the WP 6's at Audible Difference in Palo Alto. Blew me the hell away. I have terminated auditions with other high end speakers like Revels and B&W's.

The WPs are amazing in the wall of sound that comes at you. Admittedly there was $60k of Mark Lev driving the Pups, but the sound was emotionally moving... perhaps a bit colored in timbre (I played alot of brass intstruments and know precisely what they sound like in real life), but the effortless nature of the soundstage overcame any possible concern about coloration.

The bass... amazing response and tightness. I wonder what the Wilson subs would do with the WP's in a proper 5.1 setting??? It must be to die for.

I then heard JMLabs Utopia ($14k/pair) and they came pretty close, perhaps not as good low bass response, but then it wasn't Mark Lev driving the JM's. The JMLabs btw make drum kits sound very live. Esp the tom-toms... amazing accuracy.

I am going to wait to listen to the WP 7's to see what happens before I write the big check.

Finally, I am also considering the PSB Stratus Golds and NHT Evolution, when I wake up and realize I can't spend $15-20K on only two speakers!