Wharfedale Valdus 400 Floorstanding Speakers

3.83/5 (30 Reviews) MSRP : $549.00

8-in long throw woofer; 2-in ferrofluid-cooled tweeter

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2017

Bottom Line:
My first hifi speakers from way back when I was 17, and quite naive to audio design and marketing..

Back then I was really impressed by the bass, but in hindsight - and as I realised quickly even then - these are rock boxes of the highest order, and by that I mean designed for showroom appeal and sales.

These speakers are almost all bass, and most of it one note!

Almost comically designed for a teenage audience, these are unlikely to satisfy anyone with even remotely audiophile sensibilities.

Still they're certainly a lot of fun if your sole purpose is to play drum and bass at high volumes, and easily driven by the kind of budget electronics they're likely to be partnered with.

Just don't expect the quality associated with older - or even more recent - Wharfedale speakers.

Submitted by Scott Bertsch a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of valdus 400 and have two woofers blown how do I get replacement woofers? Please help!

Submitted by cliff young a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
the valdus 400 are excellent speakers, great value for money, if you use reasonable stands and position them correctly, the bass can be tuned by their local to walls etc, i've had these speakers from new and have spent 10 years, overdriving them, and they've stood up like troopers!

Submitted by Keith Rogers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2013

Bottom Line:
Valdus 400. Excellent highs and quite good woofer. slightly lacking in midrange as per most other reviewers. Will drag out my audio sig gen and check for blind spots. Also have a look at the crossovers. So watch this space.

Submitted by tutaekuri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these as part of a set of 5 speakers on an auction site for less than $NZ350 all up - a bargain way of beginning a home theatre set up with (hopefully) reasonable musical qualities. After wiring with decent gauge OFC cables and banana plugs and switching my Sony AV receiver to impedance to 4 ohms I have spent the last month trying out my CD collection.

Now I have only just started on my newfound audial hobby - my previous sound system was a very old Pioneer midi system bought off my brother over 15 years ago! So I haven't had the benefit of listening to high quality hifi. However, I am very pleased with these speakers. Of course, now I have 'the bug' I am saving my pennies and scouring the 'net for better quality speakers at a knockdown price.

The highs are reproduced very well and the bass is definitely there but I wouldn't say it was great. I've read the reviews here and some think the mids are lacking. I reckon they are not as accurate as I would like but overall I think the sound is very good and a bargain for what I paid.

Purchased At:   trademe.co.nz