Wharfedale Valdus 400
Description: 8-in long throw woofer; 2-in ferrofluid-cooled tweeter

Submitted by cliff young a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
the valdus 400 are excellent speakers, great value for money, if you use reasonable stands and position them correctly, the bass can be tuned by their local to walls etc, i've had these speakers from new and have spent 10 years, overdriving them, and they've stood up like troopers!

Submitted by Keith Rogers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2013

Bottom Line:
Valdus 400. Excellent highs and quite good woofer. slightly lacking in midrange as per most other reviewers. Will drag out my audio sig gen and check for blind spots. Also have a look at the crossovers. So watch this space.

Submitted by tutaekuri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these as part of a set of 5 speakers on an auction site for less than $NZ350 all up - a bargain way of beginning a home theatre set up with (hopefully) reasonable musical qualities. After wiring with decent gauge OFC cables and banana plugs and switching my Sony AV receiver to impedance to 4 ohms I have spent the last month trying out my CD collection.

Now I have only just started on my newfound audial hobby - my previous sound system was a very old Pioneer midi system bought off my brother over 15 years ago! So I haven't had the benefit of listening to high quality hifi. However, I am very pleased with these speakers. Of course, now I have 'the bug' I am saving my pennies and scouring the 'net for better quality speakers at a knockdown price.

The highs are reproduced very well and the bass is definitely there but I wouldn't say it was great. I've read the reviews here and some think the mids are lacking. I reckon they are not as accurate as I would like but overall I think the sound is very good and a bargain for what I paid.

Purchased At:   trademe.co.nz

Submitted by mesak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
First, i like this speakers personally and i was pretty sad to hear all the "down reviews" of it (i was nearly selling them but something stopped me - and i am happy i didn't)- it sounded well - and i found that it can sound much better with a few tricks.

1. For god's sake - buy a spikes for this speakers - i bought inexpensive IXOS spikes (~$50) and put it about 1 inch inward (not too close to the edges - you'd loose the bass if you put it on the edge). You should play with spikes location to achieve best sound for your ears. You'll be amazed how this speakers can sound!
2. Buy an inexpensive speaker cable (i still haven't decided it yet - but i tried Ixos 6003 , 6006 cables and makes a difference (i wanted to try QED cable - but couldn't get it around here yet - anyone used it with Wharfs?)

Happy listening,
Daniel.

Submitted by avi005 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
A very good speaker.The bass is good and so are the highs.The mids are a bit low but can be compensated by the eq. Have been using with a SONY receiver and more than happy with the performance.

Purchased At:   UBID