Wharfedale Valdus 200 Floorstanding Speakers

home theater surround

Submitted by Tom kinkel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Give me the option of buying something else and I would say
no way these are a good pair of cheap speakers that are
impressive .I set them up on stands 1.3m high ,nothing special ,nor is the speaker cable.The thick cables are not for this type of speaker,use solid core copper or silver multi-strand on good stands,they will excite.Maybe not for everybody.Highly recommended by me ,stuff the rest.
f

Purchased At:   jb hi fi

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
You can't get anything better for the price that I paid. Of course, I only paid $58 for the pair brand new. I bought these for my secondary system in my man-cave. I have them hooked up to a NAD receiver which can put out over 200 watts per channel. The Wharfdales have no problem playing loud when I crank it up. However, there is definitely a lack of midrange warmth, the bass is muddy and the treble is definitely not crisp. Off-axis listening seems poor to me. The Wharfedales definitely make me appreciate my Definitives. I plan on moving the Wharfedales to the garage, the Definitives to the man-cave, and buying M&K S-125's for the home theater. The Wharefedales will be great for the garage. I just wouldn't use them for home theater or critical music listening. I give them a 5 star value rating, but only a 3 star overall rating since I definitely consider the sound quality to be amiss when compared to audiophile or near audiophile quality speakers.

Purchased At:   UBID

Submitted by Russman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great speaker if the price is right. Catch em for less than $150 shipped, it will be well worth it. These larger bookshelves can handle plenty of power, the bass is fairly tight (allow for a good break-in period), and the tweeter isnt TOO bad. If you have your chair, and dial these puppies right, they sound pretty good., but off axis response becomes very indistinct, almost harsh at high volumes. Not a $300 speaker per msrp, but if you can get em cheap, use for rears, bedroom, garage...etc....you wont be disappointed.

Overall, a good value in their price point (closeout), but don't expect to be taken in by the sound.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by bill yank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
The major strength here is the previous listener never even listening to speakers, just guessing as to clarity and sound

Submitted by steve a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
budget speakers that does not skimp on clarity of mids and very good bass.recommended for budget buyers who is looking for great front surround. very good
for music/stereo listening.