Wharfedale SP-88 Floorstanding Speakers

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

The sapphire uses hi-tech polypropylene bass drivers, which prevent unwanted colouration and tonal smearing. Each bass/mid unit features an ultra-rigid, profiled phase plug to improve off-axis performance and prevent dust cap resonance. Cabinets are solidly constructed from MDF, with a black ash veneer and all speakers in the range are bi-wirable.

Submitted by pjs3805 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned a pair of the SP-88 for 9 months or so. In my Home Theater they were great, but I noticed the tweeter was recessed (rolled off, etc.) I tried every thing I could imagine and the results were the same. I then moved the speakers to my listening room with the same Onkyo Receiver and still the highs were not present as they should be. I hooked it up to my tube amp with expensive cable(s) and it too had a problem. I have tried to call Wharfedale and I haven't been able to get them. I tried contacting them here in the US on the internet and abroad and I cannot reach them. I really don't know if the speakers are defective or if the tweeter simply don't cut the mustard. I also have a pair of New Diamond Anniversary 7.2's. They are alittle better but they have not been broken in yet. At this point in time I cannot give them a favorable review. I mainly purchased them for the home theater but for now I have to second guess that for something else. In home theater the bass was very good and never flabby (CD or DVD). Mids were good to very good but highs poor, period.
These speakers have never been overdriven or damaged in any way. Not a great deal if you have higer than average expectations of their performance.

Purchased At:   UBid

Submitted by Good Sound a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Imagine my suprise. Legendary Wharfedale speakers for...how much? Being a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" but still always seeking out a bargin, I had mixed emotions.

I auditioned them in place of my main stereo speakers (Infinity IL40's). Combined with my Onkyo AV696 the sounds produced were impressive. The highs were reasonably clear and bright but not harsh at moderate volume levels. Middle sounds good, lows better. I bi-wired, hooked them into a Carver C1000A and again I was impressed. This combination sounded best to me musically. The Onkyo sounds a bit cleaner but the Carver is more neutral which I prefer for music. The Wharfedales sounded good through both receivers for home theater. I used a 12in. powered sub-woofer(RBH) set for the lowest frequencys while auditioning the Wharfedales.

The Wharfedale 88 is an impressive speaker. Sound is good, better bi-wired and with the right system might be great. As with almost all speakers, benefits from a sub-woofer. For me they won't replace my IL40's but my family and friends probably can't tell the difference.

Purchased At:   u-bid

Submitted by Lynn Boynton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers have the best sound experience I've ever heard for the price payed for them. They sounded good at first but after 30 hours I turned them up and LIKE WOW! the clarity is astounding. Just because they made in china by cheap prison labor they being shuned. I ask just what isn't made in China, Mexico ect. these days for cheap labor cost. I payed 254.00 with shipping on 7/31/01 and I don't work for Ubid or wharfedale and I am not rich.

Purchased At:   Ubid

Submitted by chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well I bought these at ubid and I must say I was impressed so far. I've bi wired them and with a kenwood 4080 and now I use my bose for the rear and a AR center with AR ps112 sub. I took the day off just to play movies, for the price I paid for these at 150 each w/shiping I think it was well worth it.

As for people complaining about bad speakers, I can't say that's so for me. I just hope more people will post about theirs.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Hoops a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I admit that I purchased these speakers on a bit of a whim. I'd searched everywhere, undertook a great deal of research and decided to purchase some Missions. Then I heard these speakers... I listened to the 87's and 89's but for bass response and a true, rich reproduction for home theatre (DVD) AND audio CD, I could not let these go. The response from the 88s (at least, for my ears) was clean and sharp. A wonderful purchase for AUS $800.00.

I was so impressed by these speakers, I emailed the company (in the UK) to express my delight. I cannot recommend these speakers more highly. Excellent value with excellent sound, wonderfully suited for the home theatre. I am currently using mine as the two fronts.