Wharfedale Sapphire 89 Floorstanding Speakers

4.38/5 (65 Reviews)

Submitted by halseyjr61 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
Not sure of the model year but I just bought a pair of Wharfedale Sappire sp-89 floor standing loudspeakers from Goodwill for the whopping price of $29.95/pr. The cosmetic condition of these speakers were a little worn with damage to the speaker grills which from reading previous posts seems to be a problem.
I connected these speakers to my Denon and ran them as 'stereo'. They ran with my Klipsch subwoofer. I was amazed at the sound of these speakers. midrange and highs are very well produced. I was disappointed at the bass response but upon reading other reviews on this great site I remembered that I had set my front speakers to "small" on the Denon. I immediately changed the setting to "large" and popped in a CSN greatest hits CD into my Escient Fireball digital music server. I was in for a great surprise. Overall tonal response is excellent with these speakers. As a few other reiewers mentioned, I heard voices and instruments not heard from my previous set of front speakers. These speakers are without a doubt some of the finest speakers I have ever owned. As mentioned before, the mid-range reproduced music perfectly with extremely good balance with the highs and the amazing bass these speakers produce. I am extremely happy with these speakers. I have never heard such a balanced frequency response as well as these speakers and the soundstage is nothing short of excellent. These speakers rival others costing thousands of dollars and I was EXTREMELY fortunate to pay such a low price for such excellent speakers. Very impressed.

Submitted by Niles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2011

Bottom Line:
Not sure of year of issue, but I wanted to comment on the sound. I have a pair of Klipsch Forte's here that are fantastic speakers. These are next to them, and I can't tell which one I prefer. That's how good these are, much different from the Klipsch sound. These will reward you only when proper care is taken. It took a few hours to find the right cables, and combinations to help these a bit, but the only issue to look for really is the midrange honk at loud volumes. These can be slightly modded I understand for better sound in that area. Overall, despite the somewhat lackluster cabinet trim quality, these can be amazing speakers when setup correctly and matched with the right components. Long and narrow, with a nice footprint, they image well, and can put out a huge sound. Just takes good equipment and a good recording.

Submitted by dynaquest1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers are a well kept secret. Though extremely good speakers, they have not been well marketed/advertised by Wharfedale of Great Britain. Even after a year of listening to them I cannot believe how MUCH I got for so LITTLE money. They are not small tower speakers and they are heavy....guess they must be heavy to keep them from physically moving around with the deep, clear, rich, concert hall-like BASS they deliver so effortlessly. Though I have a JBL sub...it is really not needed. I've turned the sub crossover really way down so the sub only produces just the deepest bass. Turning the sub off sometimes makes no difference in the overall effect. Mids and highs are clear, concise and beautiful. I replaced a Bose AM-7 system with these. Liked then so much, I bought a matching Wharfedale Sapphire center speaker and Wharfedale Diamonds for the rear surrounds. While music is my passion, I also use these wonderful speakers for Home Theater....WOW!!! Again....WOW!! Without exception, these are finest sounding speakers I've heard under $3000.00. My system is all SONY ES (mega-bucks at my level) and these Sapphire 89's do not hold any component back from its full potential. Can you get better speakers? Sure. If you are an audiophile, you would not want these...they don't cost enough. But if you agree that Value equals Quality divided by Price, there is no greater speaker value on the planet.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Yo-han Bark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that unlike alot of reviews that ive read i wasnt to skeptical about these speakers. The reasoning behind that is that i had listened to a set of modus 1.6s and heard to another set of opal 100s,so i knew that the brand name was respectable. I'f i did have any worries it was the fact that i had not heard any of the speaker from this particular model.When i recieved my pair of SP-89s right away i was worried the sticker on the side of the box said made in china,now with a toaster that wouldnt have bothered me but the mains in my home stereo system o-boy.So out of the box they came,after hooking them up and driving them not too hard for about 12hrs i thought id push them a little,so i turned it up,once i clipped past number 40 on the dial(sublime)i had a little reverberation on the bass drivers and i thought made in china ha ha.But i then approached the owner of the 1.6s and he told me give them time, best suggestion i could have gotten.These speakers got better day after day soon the depth of these babies just started opening up enourmously.Ive had them now for about 2 years and couldnt be happier with there range highs are high lows are really deep.So i hope that if any of you out there were thinking the made in China thing was a reason not to buy these dont my thoughts initially were the same. In the year 2000 they moved there production of Wharfedales to China,mine were made there, but that hasnt seem to have any effect on my friends opinion who owns a british made pair of modus 1.6s,he made the statment the other day "I Think these sound better than mine".To close this up these speakers are well made period.(besides the Crappy grilles of course but im sure you could find speakers for $400.00 with grilles that rate a 10 but then they would probably sound like crap, but they would fit nice)(SP-89 true blue drivers)Yamaha rx-v990 reciever,not Bi-amped YET.............

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are the true quality speakers, sound is so good you won't believe it you paid only $400-500 for them.
Build quality very good also.
I'm using for music and Home theatre setup and couldn't be better.
Thanks Wharfedale