Wharfedale Pi-40 Floorstanding Speakers

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Wharfedale Pacific Series Pi-40 Floor Standing Speakers with Kevlar® Drivers (PAIR)

Submitted by Yaniv a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2016

Bottom Line:
can anyone please recommend on the ideal amp for these babies ?

Submitted by jimndet a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I first came across these speakers when working for a hi-fi retailer in 2003 and thought they were great value for money, but wasn't overly impressed as they didn't sparkle as much in the showroom as the B&W 6 series we were selling at the time.
I have now moved through the entire plethora of hi-fi , everything from cheap budget to mid-range amps and cd players, through to my current system consisting of Yaqin valve amps , Musical Fidelity A5 cd player & Rega Planer 3.
I picked these speakers up as I have moved the hi-fi into a larger room and required a much larger set of speakers to fill the space (they have replaced a pair of Quad 11l's), I thought they would be a short term fill in until I could purchase some better quality speakers.
Well I can only say that I won't be needing to spend the money - all that extra cash can be spent on MUSIC !!.
These speakers really sing, it doesn't really matter what kind of music you play through them. They are amazing, they have all of the detail of the Quads but with a massive soundstage and a deep and controlled bass.
I have played music daily and not one piece of music has caused them to struggle, they are equally at home playing Leadbelly or Roni Size.
I believe that the better your equipment , the more these speakers shine.
I have had a few pairs of new speakers in to try before buying, but none have managed to better the Wharfedales for being able to do so much with all types of music.
My impression all those years ago was definately wrong on so many levels - Initial listening can be difficult in a shop environment, the bright forthright sound of the B&W's sounds good straight out of the box, but does become tiring over time (I have had a couple of pairs over the years). Also the looks - these are a real statement, not only in size but also the tweeter pod shows hi-end credentials.
I believe that anyone who has good mid to high end equipment should give these a try if they manage to get their hands on a pair (I reckon these are going to become highly sought after, especially if a couple of reviewers get some to listen to a pair). YOU WILL BE MIGHTILY IMPRESSED. I can only say that they have stopped my search for speakers and am utterly happy with my purchase.
I

Submitted by proffski a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
Having had a pair of KEF Reference 3s on loan it was a shock to go back to my home made monsters. I found these at £250 which must be a bargain of the century. Remarkably articulte, faster than Ali and bass which not quite perfect is deep, clean and very extended. Vocals are as magnificent on opera as anything else you can throw at them. Terrific with home theatre, what else can I say?

Purchased At:   Hyperfi UK

Submitted by Colin^ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well. I decided to revisit my review of these dspeakers on my old audio equiptment. I thought now that I had reached the 21st century products, I should revise my review. I now use a NAD 541i CD Player, NAD C370 amp, and a NAD tuner to drive my Pi40's. Without a doubt the Pi40's like a lot of power to drive them, though I have driven them with a 40watt amp, and 85 watt amp and the C370 that will put out 185 RMS into 8ohms,20-20kh at .0001% distortion. I found with the C370, they somehow are now under better control. To be honest, Loud Rock with my last two amps, and no they weren't being driven into clipping, but with the C370. WOW!!! The speakers will play at deafening levels now without any audible distortion. Bass is now even better. Tighter, faster, deeper and cleaner!! W00t W00t. The low level detail is amazing now! IT always had a midrange to die for, but it just got better.Every improvement, or little upgrade has made a HUGE difference to the Pi40's. Clearly, they just reveal what they are being fed!
KImber interconnects, I could hear the difference, and I was a sceptic! These speakers have since been superceded by the EVO range. Snap a pair up as the prices have dropped dramatically!! I think they are going to be a sleeper, audio hit.

Purchased At:   Hamilton

Submitted by pangl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair simply because I think they look different. I also think that the design is worth an audition for new my home theater setup.

Anyway, I got an used pair which is supposed to be fully broken in. I found the bass aplenty but is rather loose. The overall sound is bright and forwarding. The mid is OK but you will find much better value with JM Labs and DynAudio, and possibly Linn.

What you paid is what you get. But value-wise, you could get much better else where.

Associated equipment:
Sony DVP-9000ES SACD/DVD player
Wadia 25 D/A digital preamp
Mark Levinson #23 amp
NBS Monitor 3 cables all around

P.S. Don't let the MSRP fool you. The Pacific 40, which is supposed to be "audiophile" quality per advertisement, is mid-fi at best.

Purchased At:   Audiogon