Wharfedale Opus 1 Floorstanding Speakers

• Frequency: 37-44kHz
  • Nominal Impedance: 6ohm

Submitted by peter pan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2014

Bottom Line:
they are very bad do not buy wast of money if you want to listen to the beats of the day

Submitted by Stephen C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
Just bought a pair of Wharfedale Opus2-1. The unique quality of these speaker is the vocal sound, which is very realistic. The bass is very natural, and the treble is very clear and delicate. The overall sound is spacious and clean. However, it does take a decent set of wires to bring out the deep bass. "Springy" is the word I would describe the bass: there is always plenty of it, sounds lively but never boomy. It is very comfortable to hear for a long period of time.

The rosewood piano finish is stunning. These speakers are definitely the best looking ones in this price range (perhaps 3 -2 times the price).

If you like listening to vocal music, you must check out the Wharfedale Opus2-1.

Equipment used: Amp: Onkyo TX-NR808, CD Player: Cambridge Audio Azur 650C, Speaker Wire: Transparent In Wall Reference Speaker Cable.

Submitted by jeff3948 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've been searching for a speaker that I can listen to my classical music for extended periods without my ears getting fatigued. I first bought the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6. I was struck by the natural sound of these speakers and especially liked the extended deep bass below 50Hz which really shows off during romantic organ music and orchestral music with bass drum. However, after listening to these speakers for more than ½ hour my ears seemed to become fatigued. Also, I noticed that I had to turn the speakers way up to hear all the details in the orchestra. After about a year of research, I decided to try the best that Wharfedale offers, the Opus 3's for fronts and Opus 1's for rears and center. So I saved my money for about 6 months and then purchased them from "At Your Service Electronics" on-line. Unfortunately, one of my Opus 1 speakers turned defective only after a couple of days of listening, the 3" dome midrange started to distort badly. I called the person at "At Your Service Electronics" and left a message. I never heard back from him. After several more calls over the next 2 weeks I still never heard back from him. So I had to call the distributor, Sound Imports, whose address was on the shipping label. I told them my problem with the guy from "At Your Service Electronics" not getting back to me. They apologized for my bad experience with them and they were able to help me, thank God. They shipped me a new Opus 1 speaker and had UPS pick up the defective speaker at the same time. Sound Imports are really nice to deal with.

Now for the review of the Opus 1 and Opus 3 speakers. I used the Opus 3s as my fronts and then changed them around and listened to the Opus 1s as my fronts just to compare them. Both speakers were very similar in sound quality. When I talk about these speakers I'm talking about both the Opus 1 and Opus 3 speakers unless I specify one or the other. On first hearing I immediately heard more detail and breathe in the high frequencies, midrange, upper bass and mid bass regions of the audio spectrum compared to my Diamond 9.6 speakers. More of the ambiance of the recording venue came through with the Opus speakers and the instruments sounded even more life like than the Diamond 9.6 speakers. The only thing I was a little disappointed with was the deep bass below 50Hz. The bass frequencies did not come in quit as strong as the Diamond 9.6. Perhaps it's because of the Diamond 9.6's dedicated sub-woofer (the lower 8" woofer) specifically designed to reproduce frequencies below 150Hz. However, the Opus 1 and 3 far outshined the Diamonds in reproducing everything above 50Hz. The SACD of Janos Starker playing Bach's cello suites is absolutely more life like. It gave me "the cello is right there in the room with you" feeling. It was an emotional as well is visceral experience with the cello vibrating my whole body just as it would if Janos Starker was really in the room with me. I listened to Bach's cello suites first with the Opus 3's as the fronts and an Opus 1 as the center. I then listened to the cellos suites with just the Opus 1's as the fronts with no center and got an almost identical musical experience as I had with the Opus 3 except the bass was not quite a visceral. Listening to orchestral music gave the same life like experience as if I'm really in the concert hall sitting right behind the conductor with both the Opus 3's and the Opus 1's. The timbre of the instruments is exquisite and truly life like. Voices as well come through with amazing life like qualities. Also, with the Opus 1's and Opus 3s I'm able to listen to music for extended periods of time (several hours) without my ears getting fatigued. I've had the Opus speakers now for 6 months and I'm very happy with them. I'd rate them 4 out of 5 stars. Oh, one more thing, these speakers are absolutely gorgeous with their curved sides, golden spiked feet and flawless high gloss finish.

STRENGTHS:
Extremely Accurate and life like reproduction of classical music
Can listen to them for extended periods without my ears getting fatigued
Voices also came through with excellent life like qualities
Excellent resolution without being metalic
Beautiful looking with their curved sides
Superb build and finish quality

WEAKNESSES:
Bass reproduction below 50Hz could be a little better
Speaker grill pegs broke off easily