Wharfedale Opal 90 Floorstanding Speakers

165mm Bass/Mid 2 x 165mm Bass 165mm ABR 25mm Soft Dome Tweeter

Submitted by Mark C. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my review from 10 months ago. After a considerable break-in period and some mild tweaking of equalization settings, I am very happy with this purchase. The speakers are excellent but still depend on a good source to sound their best. Of course, speakers are not intended to improve source quality. So, if I sounded "harsh" in my previous review, it was prematurely based on speakers that needed some break-in time to reach their full potential. Now that they have, I can recommend them without hesitation. Also, my previous comments about Made in China were mainly based on false advertising by Wharfedale. The quality of these speakers is not a factor and, in fact, is very good.

Purchased At:   UBID

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
As Mark C pointed out in his rather harsh review of the Opal 90's They are made in China. But only the speakers made after May 2000. I found this out from speaking with the factory before I purchased my Opal 90's.
So if this turns anyone off to the brand I am sorry. I can't speak to any quality issues that may or may not have arisen after the production facility was moved. But (For the price) My Pre-Move Opal's are built well. (See my other reviews for more in depth information)

As to Mark C's comments. He is more than entitled to his review and opinions regarding this product. Yes the mid range is somwhat "In your face" (But can be fixed. See my other reviews) The adjustable tweeter is not a joke. (If you set up your speakers per the manufacturers recommendations) If you do not set up the speakers in a triangle with your seating position this feature is less effective. I have my speakers 8 feet apart and eight feet from the sweet spot, slightly toe'd in so the mid range and woofers are pointed about 6 inches outboard of my head (so the radiation in a straight line will intersect as if the sweet spot was about 6ins. to one foot behind my head) Then the tweeters are rotated so the radiation (In a straight line) intersects about one foot in front of my head.
Not having the tweeters pointing directly at your head seems to help with horizontal dispersion and imaging. Not having the mid range pointing directly at your head seems to soften the "in your face" nature of it without giving up any detail. This I am convinced is a result of the D'appolito arraingement of the upper drivers (I have heard this trait on other such speakers and while it is great for movies. It is much less desirable (To my ears) for music. I run my speakers full range with a sub woofer even for music My sub (as i have it set) only works below 70 Hz and gives the bass of the opal's a nice lower octave boost without being boomy or overpowering. These speakers can be very satisfying to listen to if you take care and time in setting them up and most importantly do not overdrive them. Mine start to fall apart (Sonically) at about 80- 100 watts continuous power. (They start to sound strained and harsh)
If my made in England Opal 90's are the same as the made in China Opal 90's then my recommendation still stands. Whole heartedly recomended.

Purchased At:   Ubid

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
For all of the people who think that "Good Reviews" are posted by "Wharfedale employees" or "Ubid employees". I assure you that I am not employed by either company. ANYONE who wishes to ask me any questions about the Opal 90's feel free to e-mail me. I will do my best to answer any and all questions you may have on these above average (for the price) speakers.

Thomas_Krone@webtv.net

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
After some more time with the Opal's The only thing I have done is to use an equalizer to reduce some of the up front quality. This is very much recommended for anyone with this problem. The speakers are much more enjoyable now. (and they were not bad to begin with) Everything I said in my earlier review still rings true. I replaced Magnepan MG 1c's with these speakers due to the low price and my willingness to give other manufacturers a chance. (the wife also wanted something a little smaller than the Maggies) The Opal's are "BETTER" in the areas of Dynamic's, Bass, and are very close in the treble. The only area where the Maggies beat the opals hands down is the midrange. Again Wholeheartedly recommended.

Purchased At:   UBID

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
Excellent speakers! Great clean natural sound, tweeters are warm and easy to listen to, the soundstage is HUGE. If you are looking for huge base - look elswhere or buy a sub. Great music reproduction for all types except rap (see: buy a sub!). DTS and Dolby Digital are awesome with these guys if you have a sub to help. And I agree the craftsmanship is not up to par with speakers costing $800-900/pair, but they look good and they sound excellent. I am using a Kenwood VR309, bose 201's for surround and a DCM SW10 powered sub.

Go buy a pair at UBid, you won't be dissapointed. These are unbeatable speakers at even twice the price you can get them for at ubid (mine were $275/pair/delivered.

Also, the customer support for Wharfedale America
http://www.iagamerica.com/wharfedale/index.htm is Awesome! Before i bought them I called the support guys - no hold time! They were knowledgeable, helpful, and after letting them know what kind of system i was setting up, recommended the Opal 90's to me - even before i was actually a customer, and according the support person that i talked to they PRE-SHIP replacement parts/speakers with a paid shipping lable, Awesome.

I knocked one star off of the overall rating because of the flimsy grills and a break-in period that was a little long. Otherwise 5 stars all the way.

Purchased At:   Ubid