Wharfedale Modus 8 Floorstanding Speakers

4.51/5 (43 Reviews) MSRP : $1250.00

Submitted by Baazi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
Unbelieveable price paid for these speakers. Paid $125 including S/H from Ebay. I have a pair of technics at home with 15 inch woofers and they're without a doubt, childs play compared to the modus 8's. The only thing i've noticed is, if you place the Modus 8's in a corner, it seems like the house is falling down. I've never heard so much bass especially coming from 6 1/2" woofers. Even if you turn the bass control all the way down on your receiver, it still sounds too boomy in the corner. But if kept away from the corners, these speakers are perfect. Produce and extremely realistic sound.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Elvin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
As an experienced on-line shopper I must say this is the first time I've ever felt nervous buying anything on the Internet. I've always auditioned any audio equipment that I've ever purchased but I decided to bite the bullet and go for it this time around. For $207 you can't go wrong!

When the speakers arrived, as is the case with the majority of the other reviewers, the tweeters had decided to pop off and rattle about inside the box. I called IAG (1-877-440-0888) and they walked be through reconnecting the wires.

At this point I was braced to hear my wife say, "See...I told you so...” But once I hooked them up to my Yamaha RX-V800, both she and I were impressed. Granted, they sounded REALLY "boomy" at first, but that was corrected after attaching the metal spikes and about 20 hours of listening to break them in.

I've thrown everything I can at them (Jazz, Classical, House, Hip-Hop, R & B) and I've yet to see them break into a sweat.

As for home theater, I decided to use these at my surrounds to replace an old pair of Kenwood’s that I had. I can honestly say that I have a whole new appreciation for home theater after making this move. Since these guys have such an amazing soundstage, they were a perfect choice in my opinion. When listening to DD or DTS programs in 6.1 Matrix I could swear I've got a rear center! Be wary though, you've got to play around with their placement in order for them to do the job right.

I guess I have to say that only issue I've got with these speakers is there build quality. Upon close inspection by a "trained" eye, they give the impression that they're cheap, and rightfully so. But their unique design and sound make up for this shortcoming.

These speakers are no B&W, PSB, or Paradigm...but they are, in my opinion, the next best thing (for the price). If you find them at a good deal either at Ubid or any other place, don't hesitate to buy.

Purchased At:   UBid

Submitted by Nathan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I replaced a pair of vintage style Klipsch Heresey speakers with these. The Klipsch had a blown tweeter in one of them. They still sounded excellent. They were not big on bass even though they were big speakers (12" with a mid-range horn and a horn tweeter).

Anyways, back to the Wharfedale's. I think I remember hearing about these a while back. Seems like I remember hearing about an OLD pair or somehting, thats what made me think they are decent speakers. I was still a bit sceptacle of buying some speakers I couldn't hear before buying. I took my chances with them though. I got a pair from uBid at a decent price.

The lower frequency part of the speaker blew me away seeing as how they are just 6 1/2's basically. I would even say that they are a little over-powering. I like a lot of bass in my music. I like to feel what I hear. To give you an idea of what I am talking about, I have a pair of 12's in my car strapped to a HUGE amp that is pushing about 200 watts per 12. This is enough to move your hair on your head when turned up. The Wharfedale's provide lots of bass. They won't exactly rattle windows, or move the hair on your head (although they might if you get really close to them) they still provide enough bass to fill my whole apartment up with big, clear sound.

I have never had a pair of hi-fi speakers, as I don't understand spending a grand or two on a pair of spekaers. I do know the difference between good, clear sound and poor muddy sounding speakers. These pass my test. I think that I am going to make my HT all Wharfedale now after hearing these speakers and seeing how well they sound.

I recieved both of them with the tweeters off (someone got rough with it???) The better one was dangling by a wire, the otehr was completely off. This one is scratched up a bit. I went to the iagamerica.com site and filed out the service request form. So far they are going to replace the scratched up tweeter for me. They have good support, I would suggest trying them for jacked up tweeters, grills, anything else. I think they should maybe package the tweeters off of the speakers in a seperate styrofoam chamber maybe. They just snap in place, wouldn't be much for a consumer to have to do. I would rather have to do that than have a jacked up tweeter and still have to put it back on.

Overall, I am very pleased with my new speakers. The bass response is very impressive, mids were there, no complaints about them (very clear, the highs could be slightly stronger and it wouldn't bother me. The speakers overall are very nice. I think they are well worth the money paid for them. I am glad that I didn't get some comparably priced KLH's now.

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by Alan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was in a pinch... I re-did my HT setup and my surrounds, which are a fine quality "bookshelf" design, would not fit, so I sent looking for either a small speaker for the wall, or very narrow towers. I saw the bargain prices on various Wharfedales and bidding competition led me to the Modus 8 (also looked at the 1.6 and '87s). For just under $300 to the door I can't complain - these various models seem to be very common anyway.

First impression - I would have been ahead to buy the Bose 501 VI! One tweeter fell off, both grills were broken, construction is very, very lightweight (and I don't mean physical weight alone... these are cheaply built). Okay, at least they were easy to sneek into the house - no need to a hand truck here folks!!!

Second impression as I hooked them up - okay the Bose were way overpriced... but one of these rattled badly. This turned out to be a loose bass port. The other had no treble.. turned out to be a loose bi-wire strap. Not to sound snobbish, but I am used to true high-end speakers and kept thinking "what on earth has Wharfedale done to their brand and reputation??? - KLH's from Best Buy are built better!".

Third impression, as I finally have the bugs worked out and they are both working on the main channel - these sound amazingly good! The tweeter is sweet, the mids are nicely balanced and the bass is okay - a little "one-notey", but they do have a surprising extention. Power handling at the bottom is limited - these are not for kids who want to thump the block down, but when used within reason - these do provide a room filling bass with ease.

My ultimate opinion? While not even touching the realm of true high-end, these provide a budget sample of what audiophile sound is all about. I must add a couple caveats to the list for those of you who are interrested in a pair of these (and I suspect the other similar price range Wharfedales).. they are not built to take a beating, they are an economy speaker line which are for a mature crowd who is looking for respectable sound at a dirt cheap price. Also keep in mind that you might as well call for a new pair of grills (if nothing more than for when you do upgrade to better and am selling them) - if they aren't broken when you open the boxes, they will fall apart soon. While I still shake my head as I look at the shameful built quality, a also shake my head at how good these dirt cheap speakers can sound. My value and overal ratings reflect the extremes (build vs. sound) and take into account the amazing fall-apart grills and magical dangling tweeters.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
Good value, fine speaker. Not audiophile high end but a very nice speaker nonetheless. Excellent if you want to upgrade or need a second set of speakers.

Purchased At:   UBID