Wharfedale MFM7 Floorstanding Speakers

4.15/5 (81 Reviews) MSRP : $1400.00

3-Way Rear Ported Dual Chamber Mid-Field Monitor

Submitted by tommy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Bottom Line:
The best speakers ever in the market.

Submitted by haynesb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have been seriously collecting good Hi Fi equipment since the early sixties. In the past I have owned AR3a's, Bozak Concert Grands, Klipschorn's, Bose 901's, AR9's, & AR9LS's. I am currently AR3a speakers that have been modified with Dynaudio drivers in my main home theater room. I wanted a really good set of speakers for a secondary home theater setup in my master bedroom. Given the Ubid & Ebay pricing of the Wharfedale products, I decided to try a pair of MFM-7's. These are without a doubt the "best bang for the buck" speakers that I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. They present a very wide and neutral soundstage accross the entire wall. The sound is wider than the speakers are apart and the placement of the performers is extremely realistic. The sound is absolutely clear and lifelike from one end of the audio spectrum to the other. If you are looking for great speakers and you are on a budget, without reservation, I highly recommend these.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by adam cartagena a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
i am very happy with these speakers i bought 4 at different time on u-bid for what i felt were very inexpensive compared to prices at retail stores. i use them for my home theater and they kick butt.i did have a problem with one grill but man. replaced it quickly.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by ltc356 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
It amazes me how much the reviews vary for these speakers - people either love them and think that they are a great value, or they despise them and think that they are junk.
IMO, the truth is somewhere in-between the two extremes. At $1,400 a pair, I can't imagine anyone who would think that these are a good value. At $300 a pair, which is what most people pay, then they dramaticly improve in value as the competition narrows.

Maybe I got lucky, but the fit and finish on my speakers was very good. Yes, the grills are flimsy, but how often so you remove the grills and put them on?

I tried bi-wiring and bi-amping these speakers with little appreciable difference in sound quality. Room acoustics and speaker placement also have a big effect on sound quality. As they are rear ported speakers, the bass becomes muffled and muddy sounding if placed too close to a wall.

Mids and highs are decent for a speaker of this price. I think that there are better bookself type speakers in this price range for these frequnecies.

Overall, for the price I paid, this is a good speaker. How many floor standing, full range speakers can you buy for $300 a pair? I have moved them to my bedroom system where they do an adequate job. A good amplifier and wiring will help the sound quite a bit.

Purchased At:   U-bid

Submitted by Ray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have just auditioned the mfm-7 and I can now verify others complaints. The MFM-5 is a better all round speaker than the MFM-7. The extra woofer actually muddies up the sound.. if you're a person who believes that size matters.. well these speakers are about 2" taller than the 5's thats it they are a lesser of the two speakers in sound quality. Save yourself the 20-30 bux on the bid and the additional 20 for the shipping and go with the MFM-5s
(read my mfm-5 reviews) the 7s are will seem ok if you never heard the 5s. these speakers should be the ones going for $29

Purchased At:   ubid