Wharfedale MFM5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (46 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

3-Way, Ported, Mid-Field Monitor

Submitted by lynyrd78 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2008

Bottom Line:
Hi,
I have owned and reviewed many types of speaker models through the years. I used to be an audio engineer, but have since stopped due to my speaker business taking all my time. At this time I can say: If you have never heard or listened to Wharfedale you are missing out! I have put these speakers through heavy testing against similar models by other manufacturers, such as Klipsch, Infinity, etc. These speakers kept right up there. You do not have to Bi-wire or Bi-Amp these speakers if you are running 100 watts or better. You need to be sure to break these in. Wharfedale suggests 30 hrs break in time to provide the correct sound, if new. They sounded great out of the box. I have broken them in and replaced my Klipsch KLF-10.5`s with these. I would tell anyone to get these if they can. Wharfedale is from Great Britain and not well known in the USA outside of audiophile circles. Wharfedale has been around a long time. Also compare them to the old Hartley speakers of Great Britain.

Purchased At:   Local

Submitted by 9speakers3amps a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Bottom Line:
Buy them if you know what you are looking for. these speaker are true to there design and amazingly clear.

Purchased At:   Audioperfect

Submitted by newbie4486 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently have purchased a pair of these monsters. 238 shipped and insured. The only problem is the condition. According to the man who sold them to me they were in mint condition when shipped. They got to me with many very large dents, useless grilles(very, very broken) and a very damaged midrange. So now I must get an insurance claim for repairs( I have $300 coverage). The sound however that I did get before I realized the problems with the midrange was absolutle "Music Bliss." They have a very powerful and natural midrange. The first song I played was "Muzzle," from the Smashing Pumpkins album Melon Colie and the Infinite Sadness. Billy corgan's voice comes in very loud and very clear during the breaks in the song(if you have heard the song you know what I mean). The highs are quite crisp and clear while staying suprisingly non-harsh. The third factor of course, the bass is very strong and deep while also tight. For music I see no need for a subwoofer. I have not tried them with movies yet though (I hadn't had time before I noticed the midrange after about one song). So if what you listen to is music and you want a great entry level-price/audiophile perfomance value, go with the MFM-5's, you will not be dissapointed. Just dont forget to stress the importance of alot of padding for shipping to the one you buy them from.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by sk_arts a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is just a note regarding what I have read here, I have not gotten my MFM-3's yet, and will write a review as soon as I can

But the above reviewer is absolutely right, these are MONITORS. and monitors are designed with different intentions. Flat responce and no coloration. Without proper gear (like a high-end equalizer)Monitors can sound muddy and trashy.

But with the right gear, they are tunable to not only any room which they are in, but any ear which they are listening to, without the limitations of the designers personal prefrence.

Recently I did a lot of shopping around, and found that only the Bostons fit my taste, but still, the tight but present bass just was not right.

When I heard a pair of used MFM-3's with me at the helm of the EQ at a recording studio supply and equiptment, I found that I could tune it to exactly where I wanted it.

Know what you are buying when you get into pro audio.

Purchased At:   n/a

Submitted by Martin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've posted on here before. There is just something I would like to repeat. Anyone who doesn't approve of these speakers for sound quality is very confused. Perhaps they are those guys you see in lowered Accords with no paint, big chrome tail pipes and wheels that cost more than 9 months rent, who go to "Blowout Extravaganzas" and buy speakers based on how much the woofer vibrates when the bass beat in their favorite Eminem song hits. These are remarkable speakers. Just make sure you have a good amp, you biwire them, and you have decent taste in music.

I do not work for Ubid or Wharfedale. In fact Ubid pisses me off all the time and I can't highly recommend them.

For the price, these speakers and the Modus-8 are mother-fudging wonderful!

Purchased At:   Ubid