Wharfedale EVO-10 Floorstanding Speakers

6.5" Kevlar driver, 1" textile dome tweeter, 50Hz-20kHz, 6 Ohm impedance, 87dB sensitivity.

Submitted by TWEAKSTER a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
Wharfedale's been in business for like 70yrs in England. They know they're business. I have been so impressed with their Diamond 9.2's that I decided to upgrade to the Evo2 line with the 10's.

What I like about Wharfedale in general is the textile tweeters and Kevlar woofers they use. The textile tweeters, as opposed to some metal tweeters, have a more natural presentation. I need a speaker that I can listen to ALL day long---every day. Why, because I'm a massage therapist. I could not live with an overly bright sizzly loudspeaker because of listening fatigue. I listen to alot of vocals, jazz, new age, instrumental, folk, etc.

Compared to the Diamonds, which are very highly reviewed, the Evo2's midrange and top-end are cleaner, better defined/refined, more dynamic, and much better sound staged. Additionally, the vocals are quite abit more forward in the sound stage with the instruments more in the background. If you like vocals, these speakers are for you! It's "YOU ARE THERE REAL". The whole musical pesentation is natural and refined. That said, the Diamond 9.2's are really fantastic too.

My therapy room where I listen to music all day long is 11'x15' so I don't need a sub. But a good 8-10" subwoofer would be welcome for the last octave in a larger room. With a good subwoofer you'd have the equivent of a very good tower loudspeaker in a beautiful little higher end monitor. I listen at medium-low volume levels and occassionally crank it up to impress clients....and they never fail to impress either--them or myself. I would rate the improvement of the EVO2 line over the Diamond line maybe.....a 7% overall improvement. No easy feat.

I run these with the Yamaha RX-797 amp which is 100W x 2 and a Denon DCM 390 CD Changer. 50watts would be fine for a bedroom or den. I can't imagine how anyone could be dis-satisfied with these speakers unless they wanted a tower instead of a monitor. And really, these speakers can be found for about $500/pair on the web. When you consider the value, it's a no brainer. I rate these at 4.5 stars.

Product model year:   2009

Purchased At:   STO SOUND & VISION

Submitted by fajarezz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
This awsom spekers I've ever had....
the kevlar was detailed the sound while the cable adiolink support as well

Purchased At:   Glodok Plaza, Indone

Submitted by cwlai a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
Originally budgeted $1000 for a pair of speaker for bedroom, love the Sonus Faber Concertino reproduction of voice, piano sound, as if the musician is in front of me, but it's price is way over my budget.

Original price is $500, but since the store no longer want to carry this speaker, I got it at a steal. This was the best overall performance speaker of all the speaker I listen to.

It perform Diana Krall, Arhtur Rubinstein piano, Gil Shaam violin and Sixpence None the Richer attractively well. You will fall in love with the warmth of Diana voice, enjoy the rhythm and dynamic from Arthur piano.

Beaware that eventhough this speaker is a English speaker, it's warmth characteristic doesn't go well with English amp, it get's a bit too much warmth with the Arcam I have, but perfect match with my Acurus amp with MIT interconnect.

Purchased At:   Bay Area Audio

Submitted by jacksbp a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
Very impressed at the EVO 10's. Anyone considering spending $1500 to $2000 on B&W 705 or 805's or KEF should take a serious listen to the EVO 10's. They will save you a big chunck of cash!

Purchased At:   eBay dealer