Wharfedale Emerald 97 Floorstanding Speakers

4.71/5 (69 Reviews) MSRP : $1800.00

3-way 125 W tower

Submitted by Mitch a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2017

Bottom Line:
Like many in here, I've been on the endless search for "the" speakers. Many have crossed my path over the years and most have been a disappointment. I picked these EM 97's used and sans grills based on the many positive reviews and beautiful cabinetry. Once I got them home, I was initially impressed but soon the luster wore off and they sat unused, part of my "for sale" collection of speakers.

Fast forward to today. In a fit of boredom and frustration I pulled these (as well as others) out and gave them one last listen before I put them up for sale. What I heard is not what I remembered and I'm so happy that I gave them one last reprise.
These speakers do everything right, to my ears. They are detailed, open and spacious sounding. A huge, expansive soundstage with a nice bottom end considering their size and driver compliment. They are connected to my Cayin A-50T tube amp and they are probably my best, most pleasing sounding speakers. The frequency response is even across the entire range and they are just plain fun to listen to. There may be other speakers that do particular things better than these but as a whole, given their price, these are a true bargain.
These can be picked up for probably $100-200 a pair and well worth a listen.

What am I comparing them too? Polk LSi's, Snell Eii, Focal 816V, Quad 22L2, Klipsch Forte's, pretty good company. While I realize hearing is subjective and everyone's electronics/listen environment differ, these Wharfedales really have earned a spot on my keepers list. My brain tells me I should like my more expensive speakers better, but my ears disagree.

Submitted by tougas_r a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
I stole these!Evidentally not too many people have heard of Wharfedale.When I saw the Ebay listing and they were only 10 miles from my house,I knew I could pick them up for a good price and not have to hassle with a huge shipping charge.I couldn't believe it when the auction ended and I saw that I had won them for so little.I'd heard good things about them but had never listened to them.I was completely floored by the sound.I have a nice Denon receiver and what I thought was a really nice pair of Infinity speakers but these put them to shame.Unbelievable warmth and clarity,I have never heard anything so clear.When I turn up the volume,they just get LOUDER!The highs don't get "tinny"and the lows don't break up.The only thing that made me happier was when I sold the old Infinity speakers for $110.00 and realized that my upgrade had only cost me $25.00!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by B Gregory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
These are amazing! You unpack these and are immediately excited about the beauty of the real cherry wood finish. But the sound is even more beautiful.I recently upgraded to a pair of Emerald 99s.Most of my listening is 2 channel stereo.Both the 97s and 99s represent the very best bang for the buck value I have ever encountered! My Cherry Wood Emerald 97s are in absolutely MINT condition and can be purchased if anyone is interested!Email.... thebiggerthebetter@adelphia.net

Purchased At:   lanemart

Submitted by martinsmythe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is for the Emerald 99s. I happened across these fine speakers on ebay. I had been looking to upgrade, and these caught my eye. Did my homework, read the reviews and took the plunge. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised, and even more impressed that I was able to steal these for $200.00 The finish is rosewood, very pretty and real wood, construction and details are excellent. Gold plated binding posts with bi-wire capability (another surprise). These speakers deserve the best source you can provide, and love high current amps. Sound reproduction is effortless, clarity is outstanding, frequency response is very good. I have found that bi-wiring these puppies will open up the high end considerably for those who prefer electric music with an edge, but for primarily acoustic I prefer the smoother, mellow effect of single cables. The midrange performance of the 99s are incredible either way, vocals will reach right out and grab you. Bass response is very good, not earth shattering but sufficient for you 2 channel enthusiasts.I will say that placement is critical for the Emeralds, don't hesitate to experiment with creating the soundstage you prefer. I listen to most of my music CD direct, that is, bypass mode thru the pre-amp, no tone controls. These speakers will make you love a well mastered recording, or on the flip side, wonder just what the recording engineer was thinking.

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is for the Emerald 99's. Got these from ubid in 2 days! Cost was $300.00 including shipping! I have these pups bi-wired into a Denon 3803, passing thru a stage 2 power conditioner plugged into a hospital grade outlet. Yes, one needs decent and clean power because garbage in turns into garbage out. Oh, on the wife factor. She yelled to get those d... things out of her family room when she first saw the size. But, I had a some of her favorite CD's and after a couple hours she had a satisfied look on her face (nirvana, I think). She turn and exclaimed, sweet mother of jesus, oh my dear god, I am hearing things I have never heard before. Neither had I, but the wife has been claiming she was tone deaf until she heard these speakers. The best bang for the buck I have ever spent. Mids and highs are great and I got the sub for the lows one needs for movie soundtracks. Have I heard better? Sure, for a couple of thou! And yes, I have spent my fair share of time in listening rooms going over numerous speaker brands. Break-in period was 50 hours just like advertised and only getting better.............

Purchased At:   UBID