Wharfedale E-90 Floorstanding Speakers

5/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $1950.00

3-way four speaker Bass reflex, 1980s system

Submitted by Rob Di Matteo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2016

Bottom Line:
I was lucky enough to come across these speakers on CL about 6 mo ago. They are in absolutely mint condition in looks, sound and operation. I just needed to reglue the spiders. These are the best speakers I have ever heard. Every time I listen to them I can't get enough and hear new notes in songs I have been listening to for decades. I think they are the perfect balance of brightness and depth. Other speakers would literally make my ears tiered, if you know what I mean, but I can listen to these E-90s all night long. They have made me love music again. If you ever see these speakers for sale don't hesitate. You won't be sorry. My wife,who was sick of me buying speakers, loves these speakers. She says it sounds like you're at a live performance in a cafe and they are "beautiful" looking. Again, if you see these speakers get them!!

Submitted by Darren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2013

Bottom Line:
I am from the UK and have over 20 pairs of E range speakers inc these 90's I consider myself to be the worlds largest collector of these and leading specialist (it's more of a hobby really)
I specialise in re-furbishing this range including re-laminating the cabs in any colour (even if they are knocked about)

My personal view is that the "E THIRTY" is the best sounding pair in the range. I'm not saying the 90's are poor but just think the 30's sound exceptional! I've gone back time after time to compare and keep going back to the 30's

We keep lots of spares and will purchase yours if you are thinking of parting with them!!?

Darren 0121 313 1111

Submitted by yeah right mate a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
after enjoying many years of listening from these speakers, i decided i would tell the world how great they are.
When people look at them they are astonished because of there size and great looks and thats before they are 'fired up'.
they are very loud too, 96db at 1.2w at meter is very efficient but not only this they will take 160watts nominal.
i have compared them to many hi end speakers, but nothing else compares. If you see them for sale, do not hesitate to buy them because you wont see them again.

Purchased At:   Martins HI-FI

Submitted by Luis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are impressive, magnificent speakers that produce a rich, vibrant sound from very little power. The bass is powerfull and rich making these speakers a rock & roller's dream. I bought these in the early 80's after reading a review in Stereo Review magazine. I paid $2400 for the pair back then. It is now 2001 and I'm still enjoying my favorite music on my E-90's. Come on Wharfedale, it's time to introduce a new generation to what awsome loudspeakers are all about by re-introducing the E-90's.

Purchased At:   Sound City, NYC

Submitted by Oystein Buraas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
At first glance with the amp (NAD 317) switched off, they already impress everyone by their looks. Sounds great too with great detail and a very "direct" sense of appearence of the instruments. The bass can be too much at higher volumes. I put some isolation in the gigantic reflex-port. The bass is dependant of acoustics and positioning of the speakers. I also modified the filters using H.Q. (MKT/MKP) capacitors. This improved much detail overall with a more open sound. Modification details at buraas@worldonline.nl