Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Floorstanding Speakers

• High-power rare-earth magnet
  • Frequency response: 28 Hz - 24 kHz

Submitted by D. Lupo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought these Diamonds because of their good overall performance and worthy finish. Related to their price you can't fail with Wharfedale,so I kept it a longer period of time. Until...I heard a pair of Nubert NuWave 85 (available in Germany by manufacturer,900.-€ a pair). I sold my Diamonds and bought the Nubert,I did not regret a single day!

Submitted by chipoolguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers direct from the importer and paid 350 bucks an unbelievable deal the only thing more unbelievable than the price was that I actually received the speakers. Even more unbelievable is the sound of these speakers. I also have the matching center monitor. I have these 3 speakers running off a harman kardon avr240. I have the towers using both the front and surround channels and the cm on center channel, dayton audio 12" powered sub which means I am cheating the system really and it is running in 5.1 stereo and it sounds SWEEEEEET!!! That's all I have to say about that. P.S. Piss on Bose. Only regret is that I did not buy 4 pairs, seriously If i could get my hands on more I would buy as many as I could.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Adam Guy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I did quite a bit of research on floorstanding loudspeakers under $1000 and recently bought a pair of Rosewood finish 9.6. First of all, they look and sound wonderful. They started to sound great after about 200 hrs or so. Afer teh break in, I noticed the deliciously well focused soundstage with Nat King Cole's voice directly in the center. If you close your eyes, it's almost like the speakers aren't there, just music filling the room. But, they look so good, I can't quit admiring them. So, an extremely musical speaker for the price, very easy to listen to(no listening fatigue from harsh tweets), and stylish to boot. Even your wife will love them, mine was impressed and she's seen quite a few loudspeakers come thru. I paired my 9.6 with a NAD C 372 and a pair of Analysis Plus Oval 9. Now I'm looking for another pair of Oval 9, so I can bi-wire these beauties. I'm an audio enthusiast and own Allison 9, Vandersteen 2C, Athena AS-F2, PSB Image 2B, several JBL models, Bose 601, 501 and many more loudspeakers. My system includes Cayin, Musical Fidelity, Oppo, Onix, NAD, Systemdek, Rega, Dynavector, Denon, Cambridge Audio, Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval and more. I listen mostly to vinyl (rock, blues, americana and jazz), and some cds thru Cambridge DacMagic. I aggre with most of the other reviews on this site. I highly recommend these Wharfedale 9.6 for your listening pleasure.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Aaronelvis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
These are great speakers and you can pick them up cheap now that there is a new range of Diamond 10s out.
The best thing about them is mid and high frequency clarity, which is awesome. Lyrics of songs suddenly come through clearly, movie dialogue is the same.
They also have strong bass and very taut lower mids.
A word of warning though. You need a powerful and slightly warm amp to get the best out of them. I ran them for a year with a Pioneer A9 and found the transparency of the amp combined with the high frequency clarity of the Diamond 9.6s meant light and bright sound - not fatiguing, but lacking presence somehow. This might be why some reviewers suggest a sub to go with them.
I recently picked up a Marantz PM7200 and the extra power (it is 95 watts at 8 ohms compared with the pioneer's 50 watts) plus Marantz warmth has brought the Diamonds to life. No sub needed, just the willpower not to stay on the sofa listening to music all day.
Love them

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by soulrider4ever a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased these directly from the distributor for $425 shipped brand new. One of the drivers voice coils were damaged and they overnighted me a replacement - very good customer service. Sound Import, LLC :)

My initial impressions of the speakers were OK at best - the reason being : I only had a 80wpc RECEIVER to power these. I immediately started looking for better amplifiers. I went through 4 different amplifiers before I finally found the one to match these speakers properly.

With the right amplifier (in my case the Emotiva UPA-2) these speakers really begin to shine. One area that the amp really seemed to have a major role in was twofold. 1 - The Bass, 2 - Soundstage. All of the amps showed the speakers ability to create an image of what was where, but the soundstage was VERY amp dependent. I will be most likely upgrading to the XPA-2 as I feel the UPA-2 (125x2) doesn't give these the BASS that I know they can have. You will really enjoy this speaker with any Emotiva AMP.

I also highly suggest getting a good 'flagship' DAC - preferrably one that is known for producing a good soundstage and/or forward sounding - this will really awaken a relativly laid back speaker like the Wharfedales. And an AMP that is known for a good soundstage will only multiply the imaging and 3D sound that makes expensive speakers cost so damn much!

For the price - these are an AMAZING speaker WHEN matched with the right equipment, they really will deliver for years to come. I only recommend going seperates; and if you buy right - trust me when I say you will not be dissapointed.

Quad 22L vs. Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 vs. Evo 30

I'm building a 2nd system which will be for MY listening room. I have the Quad 22L's in my 1st system and was hoping to find a cheaper alternative since budget is always tight. I've considered the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's and Evo 30's since they're owned my the same parent company. Has anyone had a ... Read More »