Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.4/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

• 6.5” Kevlar woofer
  • High power rare earth magnet
  • 1” soft dome tweeter
  • Frequency response: 30 Hz - 23 kHz

Submitted by samuel malka a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
I should start by saying that I took my time to buy and that my first taught of purchase was towards higher priced towers. One day I entered a random store with no attentions, only to check what brands they we're offering, suddenly the sales man asked some questions concerning my music tastes and bla bla bla. Then the salesman proposed me to listen a pair of whaferdale with a sonos amp and wow was I impressed. I always we're directing myself toward metal tweeter thinking that they were better transits and faster pulse in the voice but not at all. First, the price point was low and I must the cherry cinnamon finish is sublime specially contrasting with the black kevlar domes. I could continue talking but lets just say it, tight bass with lots of wow effects in the upper range specially by the voices coming out and the mid range playing hard to show the details in the music. You need a good amp to drive them specially if you want to go loud and have a good experience with movies. I chose a Yamaha top end receiver that was last years model the advantage rxa-2000. I mean the build quality of this amp is unbeatable only if you're ready to spend an extra 2000$ for an amp but not worth it. My system consists of a 3.0 system diamond 9.5 for fronts and diamond 9 cm for center, looking toward 9.1 for the backs and the acclaimed award winner sub the asw 250.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by atgryga a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love these speakers. I have had them for almost a year now and I wasn't initially impressed. I originally had them set up in my master bedroom, connected to a HK AVR147 and they really sounded just OK. They sat in this arrangement for the past 8 months playing mostly 2-channel music and some late night movies. I am not sure if it was the low power receiver or the room acoustics that did not do these speakers any justice.

I recently relocated these speakers to my main living room, added a pair of Diamond DFS surrounds and a Diamond 9.CM center channel amnd connected them all to a mid-level HK receiver. These speakers are outstanding in this environment. 2-channel music is great with proportional amounts of mid and high frequency detail. Movies are nothing short of amazing. Without the addition of a subwoofer, these speakers are able to handle bass heavy explosions of many an action movie. It almost seams as though the speakers are reproducing the base levels of an 8" driver instead of the 6-1/2" drivers that are contained within these speakers. I will probably add a subwoofer at a later date, however, I will continue enjoying the abilities of these speakers without one for a while

The only negative items that I can think of is that I have seen better looking vinyl veneers on other speakers and the "pegs" that hold the grill covers on the speaker are very flimsy (I broke 2 of them already).

Submitted by paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
I just got this brand new off eBay for an insane price. Unbelievable value they sound clear, good concise bass, smooth highs, nothing to complain about specially at this price. they feel the room wonderfully and I no problems with listening fatigue so far. I use an AMC 50w amplifier which is just decent and they still sound very good. they look good as well very nice build quality for the price, the Kevlar drivers look awesome. all in all very recommended.

Submitted by wjack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've only had the Wharfedale Diamond 9.5's for just over 2 weeks, but I think they are a very enjoyable speaker to listen to. I've heard other people mention that British speakers have a laid back sound, and I'd have to agree on that with these Wharfedales. They have a laid back and smooth sound. They have a very good soundstage, and the bass while not window rattling, is very lively and tight. I've heard the name Wharfedale for many years, but never got the chance to listen to any, and now that I own a pair I'm glad I got them.

Submitted by Asellus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought these on special offer, from an Auckland Hifi Shop which was having an opening special. I've always kept an eye out for HIFI equipment being reduced, as I feel the enjoyment factor is increased if you don't pay top dollar for the latest and greatest.Additionally, for some reason, Wharfedale's, here in New Zealand seem to be heavily discounted, where other reputable speaker brands aren't to the same extent.
Anyway, I was looking for a relatively cheap replacement for my Bookshelf Energy 2.1 e speakers; the "pocket rockets". Not that there's anything wrong with these, but I've always felt a set of Floorstanders look like "real" speakers, and as my experience and enjoyment of HIFI equipment grows I felt the time had come to upgrade to the real deal.
First of all I auditioned a pair of Missions, I don't know the model but it was their entry level set at around $1200 NZ. Even though I've always fancied the Mission sound from auditions in the past, this time I was un-moved. There was little seperation from the voice from the orchestra on the demo disc, and I didn't get those hairs standing on your neck that you get when you listen to something you like.
By chance I happened to lean on a carton, and saw the price of the Diamond 9.5 reduced from $1199 to $399! At this price I just had to have a listen.
Even though I was standing way off axis from the centre stereo spot, I could immediately tell a vast improved as soon as the Diamond's were plugged into the NAD AMP and CD. The sound was "bigger", "fuller" and the seperation between the various elements in the mix much easier to pick out.
They look pretty good too, very slim, easy on the eye and the curved sides look very cool. Much like a piece of furniture in their own right.
So, how do they sound? Pretty darned good! I am running a Creative X-FI sound card, into a Yamaha RX 396 2 channel stereo receiver, and immediately after plugging them in at home, I was immediately impressed! The first thing that strikes you with a floortander is the bigger sound, you get glimpses of the "air" around instruments and the vastness of the auditorium. Stereo imaging is excellent, the sound, rather than being "funnelled" at you like a megaphone, comes from behind the speakers like a wall of sound. The advantages of this is you can play your music a lot louder, and for longer without getting ear ache or listening fatigue.Thus, this speaker has great "depth". A kind of 3D sound compared to a 2D sound you tend to get with cheaper Bookshelf and stand mounted speakers
No doubt contributing to these smooth sounding speakers, is the silk dome tweeter. Voices are silky smooth, maybe a little too smooth, as I find I have to turn the treble up to 10 past to get the high's where I like them. A boon on my sound card, is the 24 bit Crysalliser which adds a short dynamic surge to transients, such as cymbal crashes. Set to 5% this gives the Diamond's just a tad more "kick" to their rich, deep presentation.
So what's bad. Well nothing really. Ok they are not the most detailed speaker They would be a great match for smoothing out a bright sounding system At $399NZD these are a steal, and even at their full retail of $1199NZD they would be worth it, but I would compare the competition, such as Mission and Energy much more closely.But if you shop around more carefully you can get them for a round $599 in Auckland, and at that price, there's simply nothing that can touch them.

Product model year:   2009

Quad 21L or Wharfedale Diamond 9.5?

Hello, I've been reading reviews and been trying to buy a cool pair of speakers along with a new amp.. right now I am borrowing a pair of cerwin vega vs150's.. they're ok.. I'd like something better, and they're a little big for me.. they're being driven by a yamaha cr600 I was lent.. I want equipme ... Read More »