Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 Floorstanding Speakers

• Tweeter: 25mm tex
  • Power: 20-100W

Submitted by amit a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
very good speaker
no harsh at all,very smooth sound
one of the best speaker you
can find.
you must have a powerfull 2 channel amp
min-70 watt per channel,for best results.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by cuban221 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought these new on EBay for $250 and was totally disappointed. having a pair of Wharfedale Valdus 400 I thought these would be great after reading the reviews. these lack 3d and sound more like a boom-box.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Timothy46 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
Before these excellent Diamond 9.2 speakers I had a pair of Diamond 8.2s. I must say that I was very suprised about how much better they sound than the 8.2s.
For their size they pack a punch and are outstanding in bass middles and trebles. They are very detailed and very easy to listen to. They have a warm sound but the bass is still accurate and tight, voices are chrisp and very distinctive. They are detailed and not too bright.
They play very nice even at higher volumes. I have them paired with my amplifier Marantz PM7200KI (2x95w/8ohm) and for me this is a perfect match, they need a fair amount of power to show their full potential on dynamics(not possible on those under 500$ receivers), so I would recommend at least 80w(rms) per channel into 8ohms. With a good amplifier and source they show performance equal to much more expensive speakers. They show big differences in different sources, low birate mp3s wont sound good but give them wav or original cds and be amused.
Quality and looks are excellent for this price range. I would highly recommend them to people which want a great budget speaker for stereo or home theater.

Submitted by Tbob18 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
Going from the Diamond 7.2's, these are amazing speakers, they are very detailed and accurate in the midrange and treble area, very pleasant to listen to, no harshness whatsoever, they are also bi-wireable/bi-ampable which can (and does) improve the sound even further.
Though they are a bit lacking in the low end, but that is what a subwoofer is for.
If you can find them for cheap enough (under $350) then they are very much worth it.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Shawn Watson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bought these speakers to replace the Sony's in my office's massage therapy room. They've been hooked up to an older '96 Harmon Kardon theater receiver for almost a month now and I use an older '96 Denon DCM-360 carousel CD player with alpha processing. I also use a very fine pair of Tara Labs interconnects, and a double run of very good Monster Speaker cable with gold banana jacks augmented with Walker Audio's SST Super Silver Treatment. Addititionally, I have the speakers sitting on home made 30" speaker stands made of 4" PVC pipe, closet flanges, and oak squares. ....and cream/gold crackle paint finish.

I listen to mostly, New Age, Jazz, Instrumental, light vocal, etc. all day long, as I am a massage therapist, in a 11'x15' room. When you listen to music all day long at low-medium volume you need a speaker you can live with---not too bright, smooth, and pleasant......And that's exactly what I got with the Wharfedale 9.2's.

At first, I felt the bass was lacking but I decided to let the speaker run all day and night for 10 days straight to break them in. After about 2 weeks, these babies started to sound way smooth with much better bass definition and I was "startled" by a very dynamic passage. I smiled and said to meself, "Yep they're breaking in beautifully." I think the final break in will happen over the next several more weeks. Even some of my clients have started to comment at how wonderful they sound. So my advice is: BE PATIENT! Let them break in before passing any judgement.

So how do they sound? Well let me qualify my listening experience: I have 10 Grand invested in my home theater system. I have the supper smooth $2800 Ohm Walsh Mk II's hooked up to my suberb $1200 Denon AVR-3805. I also use the best Monster cables and interconnects they sell.

I brought 9.2's home and hooked them up to my Denon amp. They did amazingly well against my Ohms at almost 10 times the price. This was no small feat because the Ohms are known for their crystal clear mids. The acoustical instruments I heard playing through these speakers were just superb! Fantastic micro detail without being even the slightest bit bright. The silk dome tweeter is so accurate and neutral--not like a metal dome tweeter. Imaging was just wonderful with vocals and instruments holding nice steady space between them. I think the Wharfedale 9.2's beat Paradigm's Studio 20's v.3 and Monitor series for detail, smoothness, accuracy, and just plain live-ability.

At the office I play them with the "Loudness" button engaged to give them some extra base at lower volume levels. The bass is more than adaquate and well defined but I'm curious about their bigger brother: Wharfedale 9.3's? If I'd have known about the 9.3's, I might have bought them instead but let me tell you I'm very happy with my 9.2's. The finish on them is first rate too. Mine are silver.

If you need more bass, or your putting these in a larger room, go with the Wharfedale 9.3's or simply use a sub. I can play the 9.2 very loud without strain and they can be very dynamic. In a smaller room (less than 200 sq. feet) the 9.3's might over power the room because the 9.2's almost do.

Either way, this speaker is flat out excellent, and the price is quite fair. You'll be blown away with the detail you'll hear with a good acoustical recording. Hard Core Rock-ers will want something punchier and brighter, but the even they might be lured by these beauties with their curved cabinets.

Purchased At:   Ebay

wharfedale diamond 9.2

what do you guys think of these? Anyone can comment on their sound? They are rather inexpensive for what they look like!! How do they compare to b&W's dm 601 s3 ?Read More »

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1/9.2 Vs Monitor Audio B2?

I am about to purchase a two channel hifi setup for use with my pc. I currently own a set of logitech z680 speakers which are 5.1 and pretty loud and clear for the money. The Logitechs have been great, but since i rarely use them in 5.1 setup I want something thats better for music. Now having th ... Read More »