Wharfedale Diamond 7.2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.07/5 (44 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Bookshelf speakers

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
small rear speakers in a surround sound system that has AR50 fronts warfedale centre 15" sony sub these little guys hold there own my amp quit both front channels leaving me my rear speakers only and i was still happy wih the sound awsome little speakers up there with the legendary old bose10 bookshelf speakers

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by rugrat5288 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the black 7.2'S not the annervirsy model.
Let me start by saying that comparing this speaker to highend or floor standing speakers just isn't fair. I picked up 4 of these for $165 including shipping (yes they were brand new) from an Ebay store. I spent months researching bookshelf speakers before my purchase. I listen mostly to rock, pop, and hiphop. Some of the music used to really test these were choices such as Pink Floyd, Roger Waters (heard stuff I never heard before in these albums) Also Madonnas Music And Ray of Light (very high Quality recordings) along with many others of this type of music. I don't do jazz or classical and beleive that not listening to these genres does not make you less qualified as a music fan although as far as how these speakers handle that type of music you'll have to look to other reviews.

Ok now my system. I'm actually kinda cheap when it comes to shelling out my hard earned money. I want a very good product for the least amount of money(who doesn't) but as everyone knows the rule "you get what you pay for" comes into play more often than not. Having said this I use a Onkyo TX-8211 receiver hooked to my computer (no special soundcard) and play mostly MP3's recorded at 160kbps. I have all 4 speakers hooked up and they are positioned in the corners of my living room about 4 feet to top of speaker from the floor toed in. I'm using the original Monster cable also far from the best but for $88 for 100'the best deal I could find out there remember this is linking $70 a pair speakers to a $200 receiver. Where are we now? Oh yeah at $450 for the whole system excluding the computer which I already had. Less than most highend bookshelf speakers. Hows it sound? Breath taking!. I had some older Technics floorstanders that I always thought were good sounding speakers. They weren't!

At first taking the 7.2's out of the box
I was impressed buy the solid feel and the modern appearance. I hooked up one pair in the position I had he Technics in . I play my reciever with the bass and treble in the 12 oclock position with the loudness turned on. Fired up the new 7.2's and noticed right off that these could create very deep pronounced bass ( had to turn the bass setting down to about 10 then it was very pleseant). I do like hard hitting bass for it is a big part of the type of music I listen to. These will do bass very well! still tring to find the answer to how a 5 inch driver can create so much bass? Lacking mid range? Maybe but I always preferred a lower midrange in my music. The mid range does come up with addition of more bass . To my unprofessinal ear the bass and mid are very blanced. How about treble? well there lots of that also and adjusting it can be abit tricky. at real high volume on some tracks the treble is alittle to bright but at low to medium volume toed in as shown in the manual they create a very nice sound stage. As you know from other reviews they need at least a foot from the wall for the rear ports any closer and they will vibrate at higher volume. How loud do they play? my Onkyo is 50 high currant wpc rms. At half volume these will make yours ears hurt with very clear music reproduction and little distortion. I'm sure you could over drive these little speakers but who would want to listen to music that loud? How they do on my test music? Pink Floyd and Roger Waters sounded very very good The background sounds all Floyd listeners love are brought up to a level I have never heard before. I can hear and understand backgrond sounds I never heard before. Madonna did very good. the digital music really shows the ability of these speakers. It comes thru much louder than analog recordings. This is where the treble can have some problems. It's very bright a distorts at high volume but can be helped by turning down the treble setting on your receiver. This is only at high volumes. Remember that Madonnas recordings are very high quality and have a great deal of treble.

Submitted by mjarve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I reviewed the "standard" Diamond 7.2 very favorably before. But I now wish to share my thoughts about my new Diamond 7.2 16th anneversary edition loudspeakers. I bought these as "New-old-stock" from the store (new a-stock system, but just hadn't been sold), for $150USD. The list price was $399.00 or something, but the dealer just wanted them sold. For the most part, they seem just the same as the regular D7.2, but with a nice wood finish, bi-amp capability, and a phase plug in place of a dust cap. But listening to them, side by side with the originals, with the same amps, souce, etc, you would think they changed nothing. Generally, the DAE (Diamond Anneversary Edition) sounded louder, went deeper in bass, and took more power before bottoming out than the D7.2 did. But they typically had the same tone and voice. I then decided to bi-amp the DAE, using a Denon DVD player as my source, a Denon AVR-5800 as a DAC and preamp, and four proffesional QSC 3402 power amps. Bridged, these amps are capable of delivering 1200 watts in to 8 ohms. I also used a proffesional Bi-Amp (that is the brand name) stereo crossover. Some may think me mad for expecting these little speakers to handle 4800 watts a pair, but I am ambitious, not stupid. I simply wanted to eliminate the amps as a source of distortion.

I used my old standards for testing loudspeakers, including Eagles "Hotel California" from "Hell Freezes Over", a DAT mastered recording I made myself of "The Pilgrims' Chorus" from Wagner's "Tannhauser", and a mixed disc of Pop and country music. I must say, using this confiuration, I was truely amazed at the sound these little speakers could produce. At acceptable volume levels, I could close my eyes and I was suddenly transported to a live performance. I then decided to remove two of the amps and the crossover to single amp the speakers and once again perform an A-B test between the two different Diamonds. This produced about the same results as before, the the DAE going deeper in to bass and more resistent to bottoming out, but producing about the same sound as the D7.2, which is to say remakable, but not on the same level of my Modus 1.6 speakers, or my E-90s. So I will continue to use the Diamond 7.2s as I have for "around the house" music listening, but the DAE will be reserved for special critical listning, and will remain bi-amped, but using two Peavey CS-400 power amps instead of the monsterous QSCs.

Sound is very warm and laid back. Bass is plentiful, but not boomy or overwheming. The seamless crossover between the woofer and tweeter creates an effect simular to that of the very best monitors.

Some seem to poo-poo the AudioStealth enclosure as looking like cheap plastic, but I don't think they do. It looks better than many other companies attemps (even Wharfedale's; seen the Diamond 8 series yet?) to use a polymer or composite baffle. And perhaps more importanly, it works as designed, absorbing unwanted resonances and vibrations. As for the grill, I never have them on, so it is not an issue for me, but I still agree they are pretty flimsy. I do like the appearence of them when mounted though; a nice contrast to the rest of the paranoid-symetrical design of other loundspeaker baffels.

Purchased At:   Local Hi-Fi Shop

Submitted by gatlaw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Unbelievable performance from a speaker that UBID offers for less than 25 trips on the New York City Subway System (even @ $2 a ride). And that INCLUDES SHIPPING. These diminutive beauties boast a REAL WOOD VENEER FINISH in either ROSEWOOD, BLACK ASH or OAK, a front/rear baffle of some "secret" sound deadening material, a rear port, a soft dome ferrofluid tweeter and a little 6" wide polyplastic woofer (they claim they SQUEEZE chunks of rock into the plastic to stiffen the woofer). WHO CARES!!! The sound's the thing! These produce prodigious levels of TIGHT bass and properly positioned that bass is deep and WELL DEFINED. The tweeter produces SWEET, CLEAR HIGHS and together they all work together to produce fantastic music that satisfies completely. I have been unable to make these speakers cry uncle and I have put 30-45 watts (real watts) through them until my eyes water...They have to be away from walls, at least 1 foot MUST separate them from the wall behind...and if you can, make it 18". TOE THEM IN SLIGHTLY so they form a TRIANGLE with your EARS just beyond the meeting point of the tweeters. You get the MIXED tweeter signal and a true audiophile soundstage from nearly FREE speakers! Impossible to describe, though we are all trying! You MUST hear them to believe them. (And you still think Ashton Kutcher's gonna burst in!) I have several pairs in different configurations (maining my bedroom system, and backing my Emerald 97 HT system). Why would anyone want to spend 10-15 times the cost of these speakers for less performance? My wife says whenever I am listening to these in the dark she can see my TOOTHY SMILE I am so happy! I wasted YEARS with lesser speakers of "audiophile quality" only to find audio ecstasy in a little chinese made bundle of joy. GET EM ANY WAY YOU CAN.

Submitted by Sam a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Amazing sound from a small speaker. Substantial puch on the low end.
Very clear midrange, voices are well centered. Better sounstage compared to
my old Rogers LS3/5A. Even though speakers say England on them, they