Wharfedale Diamond 3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

small 2 way speaker

Submitted by Marantz 500 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
Bought these speakers new as a student in Britain. Initially, I had bought a pair of Diamond III speakers in white vinyl, but the sound was'nt quite what I had expected. Sold them to a friend and bought a pair of Wahrfedale Super Diamond, whick essentially is the a Diamond III with a real wood veneer box (cherry wood). To me, these sounded much better, especially when used on tall Target loudspeaker stands. A great little speaker, which benefits from hood amps and source components. They just get better and better. Using them with a cheap amplifier isn't as much fun, though. They need quite a lot of power to come to life.

Purchased At:   Hyper-Fi

Submitted by nani a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers when they were described as best buy in British audio magazines in mid-90s. It was in the last batch of Wharfs built in England distributed in Asia since the new ones now come China. I've auditioned new Wharfs and other small British speaker brands but not one, even those sold twice my Diamond 4's price, could match its clarity and dynamics. Of course, it pales in comparison to my other current speakers such as Epos 14 and my old JBL 4311 and Electrovoice Interface A.

Purchased At:   Manila, Philippines

Submitted by MoZe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these small speakers as a substitute for my enormous Philips 9414 3-way speakers.
These speakers are very large, but have a nice strong base.
I was looker for something smaller, but it shouldn't sound any worse.

Diamond III's are just it. Small speakers with a great performance. My amlifier is a Pioneer SX-1300.

Purchased At:   second hand market

Submitted by Howie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought my pair of diamond 3's, new, in 1988. They still sound just as good as the day I picked them up from the shop. They have a nice tonal balance, clarity (but not in your face!)and, with careful positioning, good bass for such a small box. Highly recommended!

Submitted by Paul Girvan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
Anyone know what Diamond II's are worth? anyone else have an opinion on them? please e-mail me at: paulgirvan@altavista.com.

Paul

Epos ELS-3 and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Both these speakers have been mentioned many times on this and other forums. They seem to be "the" speakers in their price range. Stereophile has reviewed them both, but I find their reviews somewhat politically correct in that they seldom flat out say A is better then B if they are in the same pr ... Read More »