Von Schweikert Research VR-1 Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (20 Reviews)

Woofer: 6.5" resin impregnated mica/cellulose composite cone, cast frame, high temperature voice coil, and large shielded magnet. VSA Low Distortion Motor system.

Tweeter: 1" composite silk dome VSA tweeter with resin impregnation, large shielded magnet and high-temp voice coil. VSA Low Distortion Motor system.

Crossover: Phase-coherent Global Axis Integration Network with stacked First Order circuits configured to enable 4th order acoustic slopes for minimum cross-talk distortion and reduced lobing.

Frequency Response: 40Hz to 25 kHz (-3dB points, in-room). Anechoic Graphs included*

Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 5 ohms min.

Sensitivity: 89 dB @one watt/one meter. (in-room, non anechoic)

Power Handling: 100 watts continuous music (200 watts per channel peak).

Submitted by stressfactor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
I upgraded to the VR-1s after owning the B&W DM303, Tyler Acoustics Mini Monitors and Ascend Acoustics Sierra's. They were the best of the bunch. Excellent high end detail, good tight bass and acceptable midrange. The soundfield was wide with excellent imaging. Vocals float up to the ceiling on certain tracks, and the resolution is better than any of the speakers I have used. The B&W's had detail but were too bright. The Tylers also had a smooth top end but were not as balanced and the bass was way too weak for me. In contrast the Ascends had great high end details and bass but the midrange was almost non-existant. Certain instruments just disappeared from the soundfield when I switched from the VR-1's to the Sierra's. I had to switch back to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me, but the details returned with the VR-1's. My only complaint was that the high end can be a bit bright at times. Cables (which I didn't think mattered ) do tame the higher frequencies so the listening fatigue is reduced, but long listening sessions still became a bit irritating even though I was using a tube amp. with warm tubes EL84s.
Overall a very good speaker for the price. I eventually moved on to a pair of Vandersteen 1C's which had some improvements over the VR-1 (review also posted)

Strengths:
High end detail, accurate bass and good midrange. Excellent imaging and wide soundstage.

Weaknesses:
Can be a tad bright depending on amplifier and upstream components. Cables helped in this regard.

Submitted by kugs22 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
A good performer at the price paid, but I can't be as enthused as others who precede me here. I did think it was well balanced and reasonably neutral, and had good bass for its size. I tried them with an NAD M3, so I think I heard them near their best. They were musical and room-filling, but I just couldn't get that excited. My little Linn Tukans (same price on the used market) are simply better in every way, except bass extension, which I don't care about as I run dual subs. The Tukans image better, have better spacial information, have a tighter, taughter presentation, are faster, have better PrAT, and have one of the best tweeters ever made by anyone ever. I will say the VR1s have a nice "bloom" to them, and this can be rather endearing, and perhaps even critical to some people.

I used to have a pair of Totem 1's, and I didn't find them too special either.

Its all about what floats your boat, I suppose. On the other hand, if some spealers weren't objectively "better" than others, no one would need to spend $100,000 on speakersI I've tried to list the objective things that most people hear differences in when auditioning gear.

I think these are a pretty good value for the money. But they didn't make me want to dance or sing (which if you do like me, would be a good reason to buy the VR1s).

If you plan to use subs, I think your money would be better spent on monitors that don't try to go that low (you pay for bass driver engineering). But used alone, I think these are a very good (but not great) compromise between deep bass and good imaging - very nice for smaller rooms like mine.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by jaap a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
After using Quad 55's that grew too old and the cost of repairing was very high, I looked for speakers as neutral as the Quads.
Other esl's are too high in price and I heard at l'Atout, a small Dutch dealer, the VR1's in combination with good recordings and excellent valve amps (Graaf, Italian made) At last I had found what I was looking for.
I was astonished , because the quality was close to the Quads, and the price not too sky high. (in the US better - about 900$ - than here).
Result with my valve amps: excellent natural sound.
With an added subwoofer there's nothing to wish.
Until now I did not hear a better set.
I'm curious to hear the priciest Von Schweikerts.

Purchased At:   l'Atout, Purmerend,

Submitted by achtungrick a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
Wow. Used MANY monitors and this one is stunning. Forget B&W and KEF and Tannoy. Totem or PSB and possibly Proac are in the runnign but this is my favorite monityor ever. Just buy them. you will not be disappointed.

Purchased At:   higherfi

Submitted by IrekJ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
Talk about a solid build monitor speaker, the VR-1. This is a true bargain and it doesn't come often. I've auditioned this monitor against Tannoy, Mission, B&W, and a few more including Totem Rainmaker. The VR-1 and Totems performed, within a price range up to $3000 CAD, what we all call 'reference'. I personally like sound reproduction from monitors positioned on solid metal speaker stands, it is very accurate reference like. True the sound is not huge, but it is pin point accuracy and very clean. If you are planning to use this speaker in a larger room than consider a music subwoofer to complement the low frequency rolloff below 45 Hz.

Purchased At:   Target HIFI