Vienna Acoustics Bach Floorstanding Speakers

4.68/5 (34 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

Submitted by robert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2015

Bottom Line:
Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand speakers in Piano White

The aspect of Bach’s mathematically precise compositions that demanded astoundingly inventive solutions to musical problems is fully evident in the Vienna Acoustics speaker that bears his name. Of note, the beautiful floor-standing cabinet features Twin Balanced Reflex (TBR) loading of the potent 7” X3P mid-bass driver. TBR combines a conventional rear port with a ground breaking airflow control port on the front of the cabinet allowing for class-leading bass output and control. Further, the complex front port system provides an extraordinarily compact driver configuration by positioning the refined 1” triple stacked silk dome tweeter directly in front of the port, contributing to a sonic presentation of power and verve that belies the speakers’ compact proportions. Achieving Mozart quality sound in a compact floor-standing enclosure, this diminutive two-way design joins an assembly for high fidelity that belies its size and price.

I purchased these a week ago or so, after not really listening to music for a long time. I was replacing a pair of Bang & Olufsen beolab8000s which look fantastic and do have some things going for them. However they just weren't doing " it " for me. Thus started my hunt. Initially I bought a pair of JMlabs which I found quite harsh and not particularly musical. GREAT imaging though. Wish the VA Bach's had similar. Them moved on to a pair of Kef R300. Fantastic imagining. Mono on them was fabulous, deep. Tonally very harsh and horrible tweeter. Just couldn't hear drums and cymbols correctly in them. Vocals had no emotion. Then came the VA Bach Grands.

As everyone says, no fatigue. Really easy speaker to listen to. Lovely detailed musical bass. Not too boomy. Don't need a sub. YAY.. If I had to describe their sound in one word, it would be cohesive. I just love the way everything just flows from them so musically. The JMLABS and especially the KEFS conveyed no emotion at all. I like a warm, organic sound.

Double bass sounds very woody, voice is amazing. Listening to Barbara Streisand on these in the store sealed the deal for me. No other speaker conveyed her nuances like these. AT the time I was auditioning the Mozart Grand SE and bought the Bachs off the net, not having heard them. My hunch was spot on. Tom jones sounds great, Dean Martin in MONO is fabulous. You get to hear the intricacies in each person's voice.

Sound stage is very nice, albeit a bit laid back. This changes with the electronics and cables used in the system. I am using a Dynavector power amp with a copper power cable. If I change to a silver cable the imaging totally changes. Things start to jump out and are very defined in their positioning, but a lot of the warm ambience goes missing. For me, the right cable in the right place in the system gives me what I want, and that's usually warmth.

The VA Bachs are plugged into my mac, via an EDIROL / ROLAND UA-4FX. It has tone controls on it and I would be lost without them. As some have said the VA's are very laid back and not bright. They do need a bit of tone control to add a touch of sparkle and detail. When added they really come to life. This has always been my taste and had to apply a tiny bit of treble gain in my previous sound system using the same power amp. On both occasions it did the trick. The silk tweeters take it nicely. One of my biggest gripes with the Kefs was how unrealistic cymbols sounded. Not so, on the VAs. They are so realistic without harshness. They just shimmer. Snare is great as are all toms, and especially kick. I love it when you can hear the tone of all drums and cymbols correctly.

In essence this is really a great speaker. I live in a small home unit and have to keep volume down. These are very detailed at low volume. Running a 180Wrms power amp so that obviously helps. Audioquest speaker cable and interlinks. Mostly copper, with one sliver coated cable in the link to give a touch of sparkle.

Initially on the floor, I found these speakers to loose imaging. I had them on stands off the floor by about 1foot. I loved this sound. I have always had my speakers slightly above ear level. For me it really adds a lot more dimension to the sound. Now they are sitting on a pair of ISOAcoustics iso.L8R155 isolating stands. These really did open up the sound big time. They decouple the speaker from the room. I have to place my speakers near the walls unfortunately due to lack of space, but they are handling it exceptionally well. The Kefs didn't. The JMLABS were front ported and handled it admirably.

Now I'm rediscovering my CD collection having ripped them all to FLAC files. Next will be upgrading to a twin DAC such as a rotel. Haven't heard one but I believe it can make a huge difference. So far, I'm very happy with the Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand speakers. They just make music without trying to impress. They get out of the way and allow the music to be experienced.

Submitted by alif131 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
I enjoy listening to them in my small bedroom in a back up system. They really seduce your ears as lovely as they catch your eyes. Quality wirings and a fine adjustment in their positionings are absolutely required.

Submitted by steve_price a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
These are amazing speakers. Very wide, well defined sound stage. Midrange and high end are silky smooth and completely natural sounding, bass is deep, tight and never boomy. The Jamo Concert 7, the top of the Jamo line around 1990, sounded distant and almost muddy by comparison.

The cabinets are gorgeous, wife approves. Adding 20 pounds of sand to each speaker was a nuisance, but worth the effort - It really takes care of resonances.

Purchased At:   Orivate sale

Submitted by pilot999 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers from a dealer as demo units and have been extremely pleased with the build and the sound of the speaker. They truly create a pleasant listening experience. The imaging is excellent, the crossover is smooth and indetectable, and the high end is smooth.

The only comlaint that I would have would be below 50hz. But, this is to be expected in a speaker with only a 7" bass driver. These are a bass reflex cabinet design with a rear port so one could control the level of bass depending on the placement in relationship to a rear wall. I use a small Velodyne sub-woofer crossed over at 50hz. It makes an awesome combination with a very natural and full sound.

The cabinet work is very nice. I have the Beech cabinets and have filled the bottoms with a combination of sand and lead shot. I have listened to them for about 80 hours so far and have grown to love the sound.

Over this last weekend I auditioned a pair of DynAudio T2.5 speakers. At $4,500 I was more pleased with my decision to buy the Vienna Acoustics.

Purchased At:   AudioGon

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
great sound stage. good bass especially with sand fill. clear and crisp through out ranges. Hours of enjoyment.