Velodyne Acoustics LD2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

2-way minimonitor

Submitted by Ozz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have known about these speakers for several years, but always passed them by in the final running... However, I have been upgrading my system of late, and decided it was time to finally upgrade the modified Energy 4.1e's that I have loved for so many years.

My dealer allowed me to take home MANY pairs of speakers over a two month period, and the LD2's finally won me over. Now, these are speakers that REQUIRE the use of a subwoofer (or in my case, two). There are no if's, and's, or but's here. The LD2's employ a sealed box design and roll off at 80hz. (Actually, my pair roll off at 71hz..but you get the idea). I have seen some nasty reviews of these online, and if I used them all by themselves, I would probably WRITE one. But, add a sub or two crossed over at 80Hz and these are some of the finest, flattest (in a good way) sounding speakers I have heard. No cabinet resonance to speak of (sealed box), they are built quite well, and everything sounds very natural. For aluminum drivers they are even a little forgiving of less than ideal recordings, yet give all the detail you could ever ask for. They are not the most efficient speakers, however, so plan on pushing the volume up a little more than you may be used to.

These were the last pair my dealer had (they had been there quite some time...this pair was manufactured in 1994). They never did sell well, and were quite expensive to build, so velodyne dropped them after a fairly short time (they don't even mention them in the archives on their website).

All I can say is that after listening to them (along with subs) for awhile, I suddenly realized how "wrong" other speakers are!

If you can find a pair of these anyplace, and you have a sub or two.....buy them. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying these when used properly.

Oh, this website shows the MSRP being $400. That is incorrect....that is what one individual who reviewed them here paid for them on Audiogon...these speakers retailed for $800/pr in 1994.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Submitted by capernicus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I was able to find 3 pair of these on Audiogon. Plus the LD3C center channel. I had to get them. I never used the center channel. I used just 1 pair in stereo. I had several amps at that time I used them with. I had the Citation 5.1 and Citation 7.0 processor with 2 large 15" subs. The Little Velodyne speakers sounded really clear at all levels. At times I thought someo one was talking to me from another room! The vocals were very impressive. Sounded almost too good at times and wondered if it was my speakers playing or if I was hearing someone really talking!The only thing I would have changed about them is the midbass and bass response. There was bass but it wasnt loud at all. This speaker is more for vocals and higher frequencies. I took the speakers out and looked at them. Amazing! I saw an odd speaker basket and a real aluminum cone with X marks and cancellation material on the back of the cone were the X was. I figured it was a method of getting rid of distortion spots on the cone. The crossover had no electrolytic caps. It was all poly or film and air core inductors. Looked like either 18 or 24db slopes used. The tweeter was nothing special to look at but sounded better than anything I heard of regarding the same type (aluminum dome). Only thing that came close to it was an Infinity emit tweeter as far as sound. But they are in two totally diffrent categories. The Velodyne tweeters had a snap or a ting to it that made it sound natural. Emits has an airy sound. To me the Velodynes sounded real, not like they were tweeters. Sounded like they played some midrange also. Unfortunately the overal sound was not as good as it could have been. The soundstage was very wide. But the sound was thin. It needed more body and depth. These speakers are not warm. More on the brite side actually. Even though this was a weak point I couldnt deal with sometimes I still regret selling them on Ebay. They were fun to play with (listen too) Using diffrent amps made them sound diffrent every time. They are very sensitive. If you can find them buy them. Wish I could find a pair of DF-661's to play with.

Purchased At:   Audiogon.com

Submitted by Frank a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
These humble looking speakers are not cheap. I regretted after I bought them. After listening over a year, I realize most speakers in the market, of this price range, are muddy. It sounds very clear, very true, very accurate. The only problem is missing the bass. But who cares if you use subwoofer anyway. Velodyne stops making them because of the technical difficulties to assemble aluminium cones.

Purchased At:   Laser Discovery

Submitted by Tony a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
I may be partial to Velodynes, because my entire Home Theater system consist of them. I have two df-661s for the main, an ld-3 for center, and a pair of ld-2s as surrounds. IMHO Velodyne full-range speakers are one of the best out there. I also have a uld-15 to round out the low end. I have a denon 5600 running the system right now, but i'm seriously thinking about upgrading the receiver. In denon's 5 channel stereo, the ld-2s sound as clear and detailed as the df-661s. I place the df-661s in a catagory with my Martian Logans. I hooked the df-661s to my music systems Classe' and the sound was awsome. Velodynes are only second to the magnificant Martin Logans. Anyways, the ld-2s are great too, but would sound much better mated to a small sub like the hgs-10. Happy listening...

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Kevin a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I give this speaker a rating of 5 because the other reviewer that gave it a 3 because he is an anal over conservative jerk. This speaker deserves a 4. It's darn good. There is always something better. I use mine for the rear channels in a surround sound set up. My main speakers are Infinity Kappa 8.1's my center channel is the Velodyne LD3 and my subwoofer is the Velodyne FSR12. The sound from this setup is very close B&W's top of the line speakers costing thousands more. The sound is uncolored natural and is only lacking in deep bass. My other speakers make up for that.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile