Vandersteen 2Ce Floorstanding Speakers

4.37/5 (73 Reviews) MSRP : $1295.00

3 way w/ 10in active coupler, 8in woof, 4.5in mid, 1in tweeter

Submitted by amadorj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2016

Bottom Line:
I just recently picked up a set of Vandersteen 2ce (not Signature). They replaced my B&W 602 S3. I've been horizontally bi-amping from my Emotiva and Yamaha MX800 and for the most part the B&W did a decent job. Well once I connected the Vandies a whole new world opened up. WOW! The separation and clarity has opened up plus the bass seems to touch nicely with my Velodyne MiniVee Sub. My FLAC files (via iMac/Fidelia/DAC) sound amazing and the sound separation on the instruments is excellent. I LOVE THESE BABIES!!!

Submitted by jjff168 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2015

Bottom Line:
I got back into this hobby two years ago and have acquired a few pairs of speakers including Vandy 2c and 2ci after reading good reviews about them. No, I haven't heard or owned the latest model 2ce. My feeling of the 2c and 2ci models that I owned in last year is really just average. The strength and value of these speakers simply match their market prices as used. In the past two years, I heard or owned Merlin, Silverline, Dunlavy, Thiel, Vandersteen, Martin Logan, vintage JBL, Tannoy, B&W, Meadowlark, Klipsch, and other so so brands. The Vandersteen 2 to me is almost at the end of the names that I mentioned. My amps are CJ, Rogue, Audio Space, Bryston, etc.

Submitted by William a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2015

Bottom Line:
These speakers are the Vandersteen 2CE Sig II model and I purchased them in 2012.

I had not heard of the brand Vandersteen before I bought these speakers. I had met an audio dealer by chance, since where I live there are not many left at all. I had just listened to Magnepan 1.7s and I had favored them. I had worried that my amp would not drive them as well as the powerful McIntosh the dealer was using....but they were the frontrunners when I was looking for a two channel speaker within my budget.

I had listened to about two dozen pairs of speakers by B&W, Klipsch, Paradigm, Totem, KEF, Rega and some others. When I listened to the 2CE Sig II I was sold. Dynamic, musical, balanced and just right. I had brought CDs of many kinds of music I enjoy for two sessions of just.... listening. Whatever was thrown on the CD player, the Vandersteen reproduced very well. I was amazed since I did not think this older, odd designed speaker could sound this good. Even with a push-pull low powered tube amp..... they sounded great.

So this is my glowing report after owning them for about 3 years. I might add a GR research subwoofer or two down the road. But for now.... I am really enjoying this musical speakers.

Submitted by Slimpikkins a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
These speakers are a bargin in the used market. Vandersteen sold so many of these that they are a easy find if you look hard enough. Rather then rehash what others have said I will touch on a couple things I've found. First download the manual from the internet, read it and placement will be a snap. 2nd you don't need a huge room or a whopper of an amp. I drive them with an Audio Research D-115 100watt tube amp and they need NO sub woofer. The problem with many lower wattage amps is a micky mouse power supply. My ARC has three huge transformers and weighs 75lbs. I also play them with an Odyssey ss amp witch is 150watts and they sound good but the bass is thinner then with the smaller amp so I think its the power supply in the ARC that makes the difference. I also play them with an old Sansui au9500 which is only 85 watts and they still sound good. My room is a little on the tight side for these speakers at only 15x13 but using the suggestions in the manual they image nice. The best sound stage i've had in my house ever. 3rd if you get them used don't forget to pickup the stands and try to get the cables they were using if they were bi wired. They sound best bi wired even if you most used cheap cable to from home depot to make them it will be better then a quality single cable. Mine came with Audio Quest Indigo Blue cables which would have been $$$.

These speakers will just embarrass many speakers in the way they image and the bass goes way low. I think they look cool as well, speakers today all look like our wives bought them at Pottery Barn.

These speakers are so good they make me want to buy the newer version which I'm told are even better.

Good luck on your speaker selection!

Purchased At:   private party

Submitted by M. J. Waterman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is an add on review to my previous review of my Vandersteen 2ci speakers. After approximately a year and a half I'm still in love with them, in face more so, but I learned something recently. I had always thought that my old NAD speakers lacked bass and fullness. When I bought my 2cis I fell in love with the sound, but thought that they also lacked bass and that the sound wasn't large enough. I thought I was going to have to eventually upgrade Then my old Kyocera 310CX CD player finally died. It had always produced a nice warm involving sound, but I was selling some Infinity RS 2.5s, and the buyer told me the Infinitys were good, but I needed a new CD player. The 310 died soon after, and, as I liked the Kyocera sound, I found a used Kyocera 710CX in good condition. The 710 was Kyocera's top of the line audiophile grade CD player. As soon as I hooked it up the sound stage expanded and the bass I thought the 2cis were a little light on appeard. In spades. The 710 improved every aspect of the Vandrsteens performance. Clarity, seperation, spatial presentation and bottom, it's all there, and the Vandersteens now sound WONDERFULL!!! I never feel now that they are lacking in any aspect, and I no longer feel that I'm going to have to upgrade to be satisfied. I've heard the Vandersteen 3 Signatures and the Quatros, and if I had the money I'd buy a pair of Quatros in a flash. But I am SO happy with my 2cis now. Ive also listened to Martin Logans, Alons, ProAcs, Thiels, $25000 a pair Montanas, and various assorted and sundry other speakers. None of them do every thing as well in balance as Vandersteen speakers do. They may be superior in a certain aspects, but the Vandersteens are the only speakers that I don't feel that something is missing from. If you are shopping and see a pair of used Vandersteen 2 or 3 Signatures, grab them.
The point of this re review is to say to those of you who feel the Vandersteens are lacking, or don't have enough bass or presentation, it's not the speakers, it's the other equipment. I had no idea a differant CD player could make that much differance, but it did. For the record I auditioned several other CD players including
NAD (too clinical), Denon (too laid back), SONY SACD, Cal Audio, and more. The old Kyocera DA710CX was the best. Easily. If you are shopping for an audiophile quality CD player and don't want to spend a grand, these can be found on EBAY for appx. $200. Well worth it.

Purchased At:   Private party