Vandersteen 1C Floorstanding Speakers

4.78/5 (73 Reviews)

8-inch poly woofer and 1-in ferrofluid-cooled metal dome tweeter

Submitted by Joe F a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2014

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair of 1c's from John Rutan at Audio Connection in N.J. in 2009. I've known John since Richard Vandersteen clued me in on him in 1991. I've owned 2ci's and 2ce's previously. They were both great speakers. The system I currently have is the one I've spent the most time building. The 1c's are excellent speakers. I listened to many speakers over the years, I've been into audio since 1985. Every time I turn on my system I have to stop to listen. I am using a 50 watt tube integrated and with the Vandersteens I end up listening for extended periods of time. I've come very close to being late for work several times trying to break away. This is the first system I've owned that has done this to me. There is zero listening fatigue yet the detail and even the brashness of a horn or feedback from a guitar is there. The treble is extended but not edgy. This is pretty close to miraculous when it comes to design work using a metal alloy tweeter and Richard Vandersteen is at the top of the list when it comes to speaker design. I can't pick up on the transition from the tweeter to the midrange/woofer driver it just doesn't seem to be there. There is no overhang from the drivers to blur the sound. I see alot of other speakers at and above this price level getting strong praise in magazines. I've listened to alot of these speakers. I've owned some of them as well. They don't add up to the Vandersteens. Add in a great dealer like Joh Rutan and you have a little piece of heaven right here on earth. Have fun.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by KEREN4U a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
This a speaker which will find itself at home in almost any setting. I purchased the 1C's new after having read
reviews in audiophile magazine. I brought my McIntosh MC225 tube amp with me to demo prior to purchase.
The sound was nothing less that amazing. Detailed highs,and more bass capability than many speakers 4 times the price. I have since upgraded my amp to a McIntosh 2205 and still find that the IC's are perfect in every way.
I must disagree with the writer of a previous review who stated that a large room is necessary. This is an old axiom which I must refute as my library is only 10x12 feet. The sense of separation is excellent. These speakers will finesse anything that is put into them;Taming the worst CD into an engaging listening experience

The 1C's have all the ingredients that make for detailed, lively , yet totally non fatiguing sound. In summation ,
they have the authority , staging and imaging that is only found in speakers over$ 5000.00 . If you have a chance to buy a pair, don't hesitate.

Submitted by deemik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have owned a pair of 1C's for about 8 months. My equipment consists of a manley stingray, Sugden CD player, SOTA turntable, bellari tube phono stage, GRADO cartridge and Van Den Hul cables. I listen to a variety of music such as Classical, Jazz, Pop, Rock and Blues. My review of the 1C's has been done well over about 500 hours of playing time on the speakers with my own electronics in a 3.5m X 6m room. The 1C's has been very difficult in placement from the day I bought the speaker. Images are quite difficult to balance in my room. They do perform better in large rooms though. I've found that the 1C's play bass as if it was a single note, quite a weak sense of pitch in the low notes. An instrument such as a bass guitar lacked power and authority. A piano moving between the registers sounded 40 foot wide moving from one side to the other as opposed to sounding togehter. The presentation I found was quite laid back lacking involvement. The midrange plays quite weak in general. The upper frequencies does have good extension but lacks refinement and sounds as a little cheap. The 1C's however present a large soundstage and do show off when partnered with better elecotronics. They can also be positioned closer to side walls and sound good when positioned straight or toed in. They are quite transparent for a speaker at this price. I think overall that the 1C's are a decent value for money but one could do better with spending a little extra money on a pair of loudspeakers.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by ericshook a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I've been waiting some time to write this review. In that time I've had a chance to settle down and clearly in my head plot without question what I want to say here. I LOVE THESE SPEAKERS! My wife ran over the demo pair the audio shop had lent me over the weekend with her car, because I think she saw they made me smile in a way she never could. The fellows at Audio Advice where shocked but bit the bullet and said don't worry about it. Nice guys. The great news was that I ordered a pair to be built that day and still have them now. Sadly I did not keep the wife. Back to the speakers. They would probably get passed over if my place got robbed, but that's OK. They are sleepers in that since, but everywhere else that are fantastic. I find them not to be short on bass, but just about right for my needs. In larger rooms they may not do so bad, and as for placement I find them rather forgiving compared to other Vandersteen models. I am upgrading to the 2ce Sig Mk2's here in a few months, but will always miss my 1c's. Oh .. and yeah ... I'll miss the wife too. Pssshh

Purchased At:   Audio Advice

Submitted by abcxyz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
I am very fortunate to have heard them early in my audio demoing! They became my standard to recognize a quality speaker. Firstly, they are very open and natural sounding. This is due to the multi-directional dispersement of the sound from a cabinetless speaker. Also, the bass is definitely comes out in the music in a very natural but not in an obtrusive way. It is a true full-range speaker that attempts to play all the frequency range from top to bottom in a balanced way. While it is slightly laid-back sounding, that is nice if you listen to music for long periods of time. I feel like I am in the fourth row of a live show when I hear them.

Depending your listening tastes, if you prefer an agressive sounding speaker, ie. Klipschhorns you may not care for the Vandersteens. They do go pretty loud to a point but not insanely loud but probably most of us would not play them at that level all the time anyways.

Nick at Audio Concepts in Houston was really good to me. Although I liked the 1Cs in the first minute I heard them play From The Beginning (by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer), I let my CD-R keep going and track after track it was just fantastic on the Vandies. Nick came in an hour later with a big smile and asked how it was going. I knew then that I made the right decision to drive 3 1/2 hours to the nearest Vandersteen dealer to demo them first and make the purchase! (The price was $885 for the speakers and $85 for the stands plus tax.)

Purchased At:   Audio Concepts

Vandersteen 1C with Rega Mira?

Hi everybody! Greetings to all you out there. Got a question: has anyone ever used the Rega Mira with either the Vandersteen 1C or 2CE Signatures? How did these sound to you? I like Vandersteen and heard it with Arcam and NAD. It was very different sounding just like the amps are.Read More »