VAF Research DC-X Floorstanding Speakers

4.86/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Electric_Haggis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
What can I say? These speakers have it all! Revealing, detailed, intimate, explosive, exciting - but never less than accurate. A few years ago, I decided to move up to floorstanders, but feared the intimacy, imaging and mid-range from my old book-shelves would suffer. WRONG. Never again could I own a speaker with smaller drivers. I've heard plenty of speakers costing this sort of money and in some cases even triple - both in shops and in my room - and all I do is roll my eyes and go back the DC-X's with a smile. I listen to a WIDE range of 2-channel music, as well as a fair bit of home theatre, and the sound from these beasts just keeps me coming back for more. They're amazingly free of congestion and distortion. They go so deep that I sold my sub-woofer. The bass is tight, controlled and ACCURATE. And with the black-cloth covering, they even look great! For home theatre I match them with a DC-X custom-made centre speaker (get one of these - they thrash the DC-6), two DC-7's for side-surrounds, and a DC-6 for the rear surround in a 6.0 setup. They match superbly.
My system is...
* Creek OBH-22 passive pre-amp (for 2-channel music - I will have this thing buried with me)
* Arcam Alpha 8 CD player (upgraded with LClock XO3 and improved op-amps - incredible)
* Rotel RMB-1075 5-channel power amp (drives the DC-X's with ABSOLUTE ease)
* Rotel RB-971 2-channel power amp (for surrounds)
* Rotel RSP-1066 surround Pre/Pro (nice)
* Speaker cable: Belden 1810A (quad cable but not bi-wired over a 10metre run - This equals any overpriced snake-oil cable I've heard)
* Interconnects: Van den Hul D-102 MkIII (no real improvement over solidly made standard interconnects)
* DVD's come off a custom HTPC (love it...)

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   VAF (Australian doll

Submitted by Sydney boy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have had my VAF sytem for just over 3 months now and i cant begin to describe how wonderful these Aussie made speakers are. Impossible sound and value just make it all the sweeter.

I purchased the DC-X/DC-6 DC-2 combo after having owned two Richter system since 1997.

When i first listened to the DC-X in stereo mode i was instantly taken aback by the sound,"clean". I did find the bass a liitle flat so i adjusted my speaker setting on my amp for cd to large and was blown away by the bass these babies produce. I do not use my sub for cd as these speakers dont need it anyway. If you own some heavy bass tracked music you will love the bass on tap here. Very low and tight. they really do function like stereo subwoofers. dont worry these speakers will take anything.

Soft music passages are romantically reproduced. every nuance of sound is so faithfully relayed to you it makes you want to cry. I have heard new passages from my 10 year old cd`s i never new existed. Brand new recorodings in cd are wonderful.

Multi channel cd (dvd-a & sacd) are in their own league. In surround mode the dc6 and dc2 come into their own. music dances around the room and through you. No wonder the package is called
"perfectly matched home theatre system".

In dvd mode i have left the speaker setting on my amp to small for the 5 speakers as i have a Velodyne HGS 15 sub which already produces teeth shattering bass so i let it do the job.

On the whole a completely wonderful speaker system which i am enjoying more each day. I love sitting in my movie room 6X4 on weekends and losing myself in this wonderful escapist environment of movies and music.

Purchased At:   VAF South Australia

Submitted by mickcar20 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Whilst wishing to purchase a home theatre system and expand on the audio capabilities of my stereo system I had no idea what speakers to buy. Living in the north of Western Australia it's difficult to audition a variety of speakers so most people are stuck with generic japanese brands. A friend asked me if I'd heard of VAF which of course I hadn't. Until I started reading a couple of the home theatre mags I hadn't heard of the majority of non japanese brand speakers apart from "Bose".

At the end of the day I listend to JBL speakers in two different settings and some japanese speakers but found that the majority of people didn't have them set up well and wern't aware of it anyway so I was still no wiser. I devoured every magazine review available and concluded that in my price range, a). Australian speakers were as good as overseas products and b). there is no shortage of quality manufacturers to choose products from. Also if I bought euro or american brands I was going to pay a significant percentage of the purchase price as import duty.

Magazine reviews for the VAF DC-X's were very complimentry as they are for most brands however there is no shortage of positive comment regarding the ability and value for money of the DC-X speakers. Based on the consistently good reviews for the DC-X's and VAF's other products I decided they were what I wanted and ordered 5 of them and a DC-6 centre speaker (6.1 system).

Having owned them for more than 18 months I can confirm that everything written about them is correct. After about 12 months they seemed to get better, if thats possible. I'm running them with an Onkyo TX-DS797 AV reciever and whatmough typhoon sub which as a system balances out nicely. Owning a mainly rock music CD collection the DC-X's have certainly sorted the wheat from the chaff, it's easy to work out which artists take pride in thier recordings. Seasonal compilation recordings are definately in the less than 70% of full volume category otherwise the poor recording quality is revealed.

Some examples of musical reproduction nirvana that these units are capable of include Dire Straits, the piano in telegraph road sounds like a steinway has been transplanted into the lounge and now I understand what they mean when they say attacking guitar, awesome. SRV, every caress of Stevies guitar can be heard and if you want to hear it loud you only need to work out how much permanent damage to your ear drums your prepared to live with, the reproduction is so clear even at huge sound levels. Electric blues guitar sounds fantastic as do the electronic arrangements of ELO, I havn't come across any music that isn't faithfully reproduced by these speakers. Lately I've taken to playing them direct (no subwoofer) as the bass is so competent. Aussie Crawl is crystal clear, reckless, HCFM and boys light up in particular sound great. Hells Bells (AC/DC) puts you in the belltower.

I took the easy way out and paid the extra for upgraded wiring and assembly by VAF as I knew I would not have the patience to assemble them myself. When they arrived it was all I could manage not to just cut the boxes away and get them hooked up. VAF were very generous with the deal too and I scored almost a full grand off the retail package price which paid for speaker wire etc.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   VAF

Submitted by speedtriple a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought them from VAF. They were delivered fully-built via Cope Couriers. They arrived on-time & in perfect condition. The courier was most helpfull, calling prior to delivery etc.
First impressions were, they're "massive". In fact, when I put the spikes on the bottom of them & put them in the desired spot in the listening area, one of them went straight through the floor board! (old house etc...).
Initial impressions were they're immensely efficient and have a presence that I've only ever heard before via my AKG 501 headphones. You hear the music / speech about 6 inches in front of your face, and sometimes from around the sides of your head. Close your eyes and I'd bet anyone that they can't guess the location of the sound source.
You really do hear instruments & clarity that you've never heard before on tracks that you've heard a thousand times before. I'm using the speakers with a Melody EL36s integrated valve amp (60WX2) and hence the 96dB/Watt sensitivity is good. I highly recommend these speakers to anyone who takes any amount of pleaseure in music. Even my partner says how good they are. That's a complement coming from a person who normally writes hi-fi off as a decadent pastime with no justification whatsoever.

Price Paid:    $2017.00

Purchased At:   from VAF

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers as part of a DC-X/7/6 surround package. I also tacked on VAF's LFE-03 sub-woofer for added low frequency effects.

The sub-woofer was a waste of money. Not because it was crap: it is actually a very good sub-woofer. But the X speakers handle bass so sweetly and deliver such clarity that the sub-woofer is unecessary for most applications. I think the sub-woofer would come into its own in a very large room.

One of the other reviews of these speakers suggests that sometimes the bass seems to be absent (but in a good way). Certainly the bass does not stand out, but that is a complement to how well the speakers handle it. I would put it another way: the bass is 'transparent'. It reveals itself as an integral part of the music. The bass is not an entity in its own right. The way it should be.

And the Xs, sub-woofer or not, are capable of producing enough bass to shake the house down. I'm not kidding. Listen to Massive Attack's 'Angel' from their mezzanine album and you will know what I mean. These speakers produce amazing bass. I think my neighbours may be beginning to hate me.

Used as the main speakers in a surround set up, the Xs also excel in bass reproduction. The D-Day landing scene in 'Saving Private Ryan' has so much punch it's frightening. With the volume up past 5 its a chest shaking, whole body experience. To be honest, I prefer to listen to my speakers than those at the cinema, and not (just) because I'm biased.

But enough of bass. The Xs also reproduce lovely mid-range and high-range sounds. Truly beautiful to behold. I sit on my lounge for hours and swap CDs in and out just listen to the music these speakers crank out. I have rediscovered parts of my CD collection because of these speakers: stuff that sounded cheap and tinny on lesser speakers has taken on new life.

But for me the thing that makes the Xs stand out so much is the detail of their sound reproduction. Time and again I have listened to CDs that I am overwhelmingly familiar with and heard new things: a previously masked background melody, or double-bass thumping quietly in the background. Little details that lesser speakers just don't produce correctly or at all.

When I was in the market looking to buy I spent ages visiting stores and listening to speakers. I went everywhere from low-end consumer shops to high-end audiophile shops. The speakers I liked the sound of were out of my price range. I can't recall how I stumbled across VAF, but I thought '7 day money back guarantee' and 'the reviews sound good'. So I ordered some without ever having heard them. I built the speakers from the kit supplied (which was fun!). Plugged in the CD and amp and got down to business. I knew inside 30 seconds that these speakers were THE ONE. Now, after nearly 12 months, I am more than ever convinced. Every time I listen to them I get the feeling. I love them.

VAF's service was professional and quick. They warned me up-front that one of the speakers I ordered (the sub-woofer) would take a couple of weeks to deliver, which was fine. Nice to know before I forked over my cash. And the speakers were shipped via sensitive freight. I was impressed all round.

There are only two drawbacks to DC-X: each speaker weighs a tonne and isvery big. The two speakers together are about the size of a refrigerator and probably weigh more. They really do dominate the room. It might even be said that they lurk.

I challenge anybody to come up with a better pair of speakers for AUD$1,500. These truly are giant killers.